Mechanics Say "no More!

Bob Owens

Veteran
Sep 9, 2002
AMFA Members Reject UAL Tentative Agreement

For Immediate Release:

On Friday, January 28, 2005, the mechanics and related employees at United Airlines, who are represented by the Aircraft Mechanics Fraternal Association (AMFA), voted overwhelmingly to reject a Tentative Agreement that would have reduced wages and benefits the company says it must have to exit bankruptcy. At the same time AMFA members voted in favor of calling for a strike.

According to AMFA National Director, O.V. Delle-Femine, “the employees have shown that they do not have faith in the company’s ability to successfully return United Airlines to profitability. Management at United has been unsuccessful in past attempts to become profitable after employees agreed to concessions. Our members are tired of subsidizing mismanagement,â€￾ he continued.

In 1994 the employees agreed to provide financial relief through an Employee Stock Ownership Program that saved the company millions of dollars. Again in 2003, our members agreed to pay and benefit concessions along with work rule changes requested by the carrier.

AMFA is now preparing to go before Bankruptcy Judge Eugene Wedoff to present our proposals that we believe will provide significant saving for United without continuing to cut pay and benefits,â€￾ said Mr. Delle-Femine.

Based on the results of today’s votes, the members have made it clear that they are prepared to strike if the court changes the conditions of the current concessionary labor agreement negotiated with United less than two years ago.

The Aircraft Mechanics Fraternal Association represents the mechanics and related employees at Alaska Airlines, ATA, Horizon Air, Independence Air, Mesaba Airlines, Northwest Airlines, Southwest Airlines and United Airlines. To learn more about AMFA visit the National Web site, www.amfanatl.org.

SAFETY IN THE AIR BEGINS WITH QUALITY MAINTENANCE ON THE GROUND.

For additional information contact:

AMFA National Director
O.V. Delle-Femine: 603-527-9212

AMFA–United Airlines Contract Coordinator
Jim Seitz: 650-826-1406

jimntx said:
And, if he does, and AMFA strikes, what do you think the result will be for UAL?
[post="243121"][/post]​

It's not even clear if a strike is legal in the first place, since it is untested ground. Either way, if they try to strike GW Bush will step in with the PEB and stop it before it happens.

Labor is simply not in a position of strength in this day and age. The best the mechanics can hope for at this point is that they can convince the judge to impose a better deal than the one proposed in the TA.

This drama is playing out just like USAir.

I voted no on the changes for the f/a's. I'm sure with the amfa voting no that now the afa will be a no vote as well. Plus, I think if one group voted no then all were void.

I think it's more of a message to Tilton and company than anything. Let it go before the Judge, he can decide the future wages of 62,000 employees. Let it be on his hands.

They will probalbly ask for more cuts anyway by reason of the most current losses. How can a company lose $664 million in what is supposed to be one of the more profitable quaters? And they report how the planes are full. What is next?

767jetz said:
It's not even clear if a strike is legal in the first place, since it is untested ground.  Either way, if they try to strike GW Bush will step in with the PEB and stop it before it happens. 

Labor is simply not in a position of strength in this day and age.  The best the mechanics can hope for at this point is that they can convince the judge to impose a better deal than the one proposed in the TA.

[post="243132"][/post]​

Well a PEB is just fine isnt it? PEB is clear-It maintains the status quo.

Besides what in BK law prevents a union from striking? Can a judge tell other suppliers to continue to provide their product under terms that they did not agree to? What would be the basis for forcing one private entity to sacrifice its property for the good of another private entity?

Labor is in the same position its been in before, the only difference is that the leaders today are totally incompetant. When all is said and done workers are still needed to perform the work. A sudden stoppage of work will shut the company down within days. The question is"do they really want any airline to shut down or do they simply want to see how much they can squeeze out of the workers?"

767jetz said:
It's not even clear if a strike is legal in the first place, since it is untested ground. Either way, if they try to strike GW Bush will step in with the PEB and stop it before it happens.

Labor is simply not in a position of strength in this day and age. The best the mechanics can hope for at this point is that they can convince the judge to impose a better deal than the one proposed in the TA.

[post="243132"][/post]​

If a strike is not legal then it is because of the Railway Labor Act. So if we can't strike then I would think things stay status quo. Things are going to get UGLY.

I am surprised at the results of the vote. Way to go AMFA members. I voted NO and will do it again.

767jetz said:

[post="243132"][/post]​
Then I guess our Union dues are a total waste huh? If as you say Labor is simply not in a position of strength in this day and age :blink:

local 12 proud said:
Then I guess our Union dues are a total waste huh? If as you say Labor is simply not in a position of strength in this day and age :blink:
[post="243172"][/post]​

Well they are not a total waste, people like Little, Yingst and Gless get a nice six figure salary out of them plus other perks! Instead of dues, think of them as contributions, maybe thats why they are still Tax deductable?!

767jetz said:

[post="243132"][/post]​

Does anyone know for sure whether or not a PEB is a possibility in the event of a BK imposed contract?. Even so, the PEB can only postpone a possible strike. Congress could eventually intervene, but to my knowledge, they have never done so in the airline industry.

767jetz said:

[post="243132"][/post]​

Drama?? :rolleyes:
Like USAir? How?
All of the unions throughout the industry have been saying 'yes' to every stinking concession that's been rammed up their neither reaches and the company's have been going back for more and more out of our pockets to subsidize their inability to be competitive. We have ‘all’ been taking it up the yazoo with pay cuts, layoffs, outsourcing, PBGC pension, S1114 increase in retiree medical, etc...

When do we say 'no'?

Your self-defeatist attitude is shared by too many people throughout the country and that attitude is what has been killing unionism.

Either join us in this battle or lobby ALPA to strike the ‘me-too’ clause and cough up another $96 Million ‘to save the company’.

B) UT

UAL_TECH,Jan 28 2005, 06:48 PM]

When do we say 'no'?

The only way the AFL-CIO Unions will say "no" is when the airlines say they want to do away with Check-off. Otherwise they will sit back, offer No leadership and blame the members. But if they go after the unions easy money then all of a sudden they will stand up and want the members to fight.

Your self-defeatist attitude is shared by too many people throughout the country and that attitude is what has been killing unionism.

With the exception of a few unions it is dead, killed by business unionists like those who have siezed the TWU. IAM, IBT etc. All they care about is collecting dues from any and everyone they can. Whether or not they can actually improve the members lives does not matter, just keep the dues flowing at any cost to the members. The sooner members realize this and get rid of these parasites the better off all workers will be.

LaBradford22 said:
Good for AMFA!!! Take 'er down, baby!!!
[post="243212"][/post]​
:D Somebody has to draw a line in the sand, else we all work for walmart wages and benefits :shock: A.M.F.A. will show the AFL-CIO How it is done :up: :up: :up:

All (especially 767Jetz)

When the elder Bush was President, he had a chance to PEB the EAL labor dispute. He chose to ignore what was happening and EAL folded. Why would the situation be different now?

The mechs said no to a TA. UAL has two choices. Allow more negotiations or impose a contract. If they walk, UAL shuts the doors. (ala EAL) If they keep talking, then a negotiated settlement might be in the cards. However, the longer UAL bleeds money, the longer they stay in BK, the less likely there will be exit financing.

Even if the union wins here, they may lose. Fact is, they will lose no matter what at this point.

I wouldn't bet on Bush Jr. appointing the PEB. Believe me when I tell you there are idiots in government who would love to see an airline go under because the moron analysts keep talking about how that would be just what the Dr. ordered for the industry.

Before anyone gets the wrong idea, I think all this airline stuff is pure madness. I think the management at half the US major carriers are all crooks. The only sane airline management is at LUV, JBLU, FRNT, CAL, and ALK. The rest are all bozos looking to line their retirement accounts with your retirement accounts.

Boomer

Latest posts