Ual Mechanics Say No More!

Bob Owens

Veteran
Sep 9, 2002
AMFA Members Reject UAL Tentative Agreement

For Immediate Release:

On Friday, January 28, 2005, the mechanics and related employees at United Airlines, who are represented by the Aircraft Mechanics Fraternal Association (AMFA), voted overwhelmingly to reject a Tentative Agreement that would have reduced wages and benefits the company says it must have to exit bankruptcy. At the same time AMFA members voted in favor of calling for a strike.

According to AMFA National Director, O.V. Delle-Femine, “the employees have shown that they do not have faith in the company’s ability to successfully return United Airlines to profitability. Management at United has been unsuccessful in past attempts to become profitable after employees agreed to concessions. Our members are tired of subsidizing mismanagement,â€￾ he continued.

In 1994 the employees agreed to provide financial relief through an Employee Stock Ownership Program that saved the company millions of dollars. Again in 2003, our members agreed to pay and benefit concessions along with work rule changes requested by the carrier.

AMFA is now preparing to go before Bankruptcy Judge Eugene Wedoff to present our proposals that we believe will provide significant saving for United without continuing to cut pay and benefits,â€￾ said Mr. Delle-Femine.

Based on the results of today’s votes, the members have made it clear that they are prepared to strike if the court changes the conditions of the current concessionary labor agreement negotiated with United less than two years ago.

The Aircraft Mechanics Fraternal Association represents the mechanics and related employees at Alaska Airlines, ATA, Horizon Air, Independence Air, Mesaba Airlines, Northwest Airlines, Southwest Airlines and United Airlines. To learn more about AMFA visit the National Web site, www.amfanatl.org.

SAFETY IN THE AIR BEGINS WITH QUALITY MAINTENANCE ON THE GROUND.

For additional information contact:

AMFA National Director
O.V. Delle-Femine: 603-527-9212

AMFA–United Airlines Contract Coordinator
Jim Seitz: 650-826-1406

Questions.

Does any union worker out there think that we are on the right path?

Does any union worker out there feel that our unions should get together and SHUT THE WHOLE THING DOWN????

It seems to me, that other than union officials(who are sitting back comfortably collecting their six figure salaries) and management types, most union people, whether CWA, IAM, TWU or AMFA all agree that as long as we keep working that we will keep losing. Ive seen TWU, IAM and AMFA proponents all say that we need a General Strike. Our "leaders" seem to be more on the company's side than the members and the members are wondering why the leaders cant put their differences aside and pull the labor movement together in order to fight.

Were they bought off? Was the withdrawl of S-1327 part of a deal made between union leaders and the government?

Are they just incompetant?

Or, do they just not care because most of these union leaders are untouchable anyway?

Well it does not matter. While we pay dues, most of us do not have unions. If we want action we can not wait on those that take our money to do it.

Sadly history proves that union leaders, because of their confortable circumstances, rarely lead massive actions. THey usually frown upon rebellion. Usually fed up workers start it, forcing the leaders to react.

Well this process may have started over at UAL where mechanics have rejected the companys demands for concessions and said "OK, we will see the judge, and then we will strike".

Well one thing we know for sure is that no matter how compelling an arguement our brothers at UAL make the Judge will side with the company, the government and the AFL-CIO unions.

The question is where should regular working people stand?

Should we support the trio (airlines, govt, business unions) that has brought unprecidented suffering to the workers of this industry, or those who are saying "NO TO CORPORATE TYRANNY"?

I think as the next few weeks unfold we should keep a close watch upon our brothers at UAL and prepare to join them in the struggle. Maybe we should just do what we all know needs to be done, and let the leaders earn their keep and our dues for a change?

Say the UA mechanics strike.

Will it really matter? Hasn't UA outsourced all (or most of) of its heavy maintenance? Won't it be easy enough to bring in scabs to perform line maintenance?

Or even funnier: Assume they strike, UA tries to contract with AA for line maintenance. Being good union members, AA mechanics refuse to work on UA airplanes. UA folds. B)

A strike sounds like just the ticket to ensure that UA outsources 100% of its maintenance. Either that or a guarantee that UA goes out of business. :D

FWAAA said:

Will it really matter?    Hasn't UA outsourced all (or most of) of its heavy maintenance?  Won't it be easy enough to bring in scabs to perform line maintenance?

No. Most mechanics will not scab because they know that for the rest of their lives they will be branded as a scab.

Or even funnier:  Assume they strike, UA tries to contract with AA for line maintenance.  Being good union members, AA mechanics refuse to work on UA airplanes.  UA folds.    B)

A strike sounds like just the ticket to ensure that UA outsources 100% of its maintenance.  Either that or a guarantee that UA goes out of business.    :D
[post="243129"][/post]​

Perhaps then we should all join them? Lets have UAL, Usair, NWA, AA, Continental all cease operations and let everyone fly on Jet Blue and SWA.

By the way the question was directed at Union workers. So it does not apply to you does it?You have on several occasions claimed that you are not even an Airline Employee. Perhaps just someone who works for a related union or busieness?

Bob Owens said:
Perhaps then we should all join them? Lets have UAL, Usair, NWA, AA, Continental all cease operations and let everyone fly on Jet Blue and SWA.

By the way the question was directed at Union workers. So it does not apply to you does it?You have on several occasions claimed that you are not even an Airline Employee. Perhaps just someone who works for a related union or busieness?
[post="243134"][/post]​

My deepest apologies. :rolleyes:

BTW, genius, I couldn't see your questions in your second post when I wrote my post, as your questions were posted just one minute before mine. I was just responding to your OP.

Go ahead and shut 'em down. That'll show 'em. :D

FWAAA said:
My deepest apologies.     :rolleyes:

BTW, genius, I couldn't see your questions in your second post when I wrote my post, as your questions were posted just one minute before mine.  I was just responding to your OP.

Go ahead and shut 'em down.   That'll show 'em.     :D
[post="243143"][/post]​

Yes it would.

And its long overdue, the unions should have made an announcement two years ago that they would not allow the airlines to capitalize on the combined effects of the Bush Econonomy and Sept 11 to rape airline workers. When UAL first announced that they would seek to abrogate the contracts the unions should have made a joint announcement that they would consider any abrogation by a Federal Judge a political attack upon the rights of all airline workers and have all their members withdraw their labor.

That would shut down every major airline.

Go to the ATA page and figure out the Economic impact of all of the major airlines shutting down.

FWAAA said:

Or even funnier: Assume they strike, UA tries to contract with AA for line maintenance. Being good union members, AA mechanics refuse to work on UA airplanes. UA folds. B)
:D
[post="243129"][/post]​

The AA line is 99% pro-AMFA, with the remaining 1% twu officers who would vote AMFA. There isn't anyway in hell that an AA Line AMT would work on a UAL jet if they strike. I will certainly support these AMT's financially if they UAl does fold as a result of them taking it to them. But, as Delle said before, AMFA did offer over $100 million dollars in non-contractual savings which was flat out rejected by UAL. Now we get to see what the judge says about that money.

BTW...Maybe the teAAm twu scabs can go around and work those jets.....

I would guess that by now there are sufficient numbers of out of work a/c mechanics who are desperate enough to save their homes and families that UAL could overcome that part of the strike with scabs.

The real question is, will the other represented groups at UAL dishonor their union brethren by crossing the picket lines? Or, will there be solidarity at last. What made unions successful in the past was not that an individual union could go on strike, it was the fact that other unions would not cross their picket lines.

Doesn't matter if UAL can replace every single mechanic with a scab, if there are no pilots to fly the planes or flight attendants to staff the cabins. Maybe someone from UAL could start a poll...

If the mechanics strike, I will
A. Cross the picket line.
B. Not cross the picket line.

jimntx said:
I would guess that by now there are sufficient numbers of out of work a/c mechanics who are desperate enough to save their homes and families that UAL could overcome that part of the strike with scabs.

You would guess wrong. I just ran into one of our mechanics who was laid off last year. He is one of many that I've run into and he said the same thing, He is not coming back, even if the company calls. He says he had no problem finding work, he is presently working for Lockheed in South Carolina and he loves it, day shift, weekends and holidays off and all the overtime he wants.

The real question is, will the other represented groups at UAL dishonor their union brethren by crossing the picket lines?  Or, will there be solidarity at last.  What made unions successful in the past was not that an individual union could go on strike, it was the fact that other unions would not cross their picket lines.

Well maybe the CWA/AFA, but I doubt that ALPA or the IAM would.

Doesn't matter if UAL can replace every single mechanic with a scab, if there are no pilots to fly the planes or flight attendants to staff the cabins.  Maybe someone from UAL could start a poll...

If the mechanics strike, I will
A.  Cross the picket line.
B.  Not cross the picket line.
[post="243170"][/post]​

The Pilots would cross in a heart beat!!!!! they are shaking in their shoes because they know this would most likely be career ending for them if UAL ceases! not alot of positions open for ATP category :down: :down: :down:

Bob Owens said:
You would guess wrong. I just ran into one of our mechanics who was laid off last year. He is one of many that I've run into and he said the same thing, He is not coming back, even if the company calls. He says he had no problem finding work, he is presently working for Lockheed in South Carolina and he loves it, day shift, weekends and holidays off and all the overtime he wants.

I didn't mean just UAL mechanics. There are a lot of others out there. I didn't say or mean to imply it was right, just that in this day and age, there is always someone willing to take a job regardless of the circumstances.

Bob Owens said:
Well maybe the CWA/AFA, but I doubt that ALPA or the IAM would.
[post="243148"][/post]​
CWA/AFA would what? Honor the picket line or cross? If you think they would cross, I would say that I think you are wrong. Just MHO.

Delta airlines is training us down here in MIA to work on thier aircraft for gate calls etc... It is training on a voulantary basis. If UAL tries the same thing lets hope the boys down here have enough common sense to say NO. As for the UAL boys thank god they have bigger balls than the US Air guys. I just got an e-mail from a friend at UAL in JFK 16 years and his last day is Feb 12th just got laid off. This industry gets worse by the day I say lets bury them all :up:

jimntx,Jan 28 2005, 07:29 PM]
I didn't mean just UAL mechanics. There are a lot of others out there. I didn't say or mean to imply it was right, just that in this day and age, there is always someone willing to take a job regardless of the circumstances.

The mechanics I was talking about who are not coming back were not UAL mechanics. While mechanics may walk into non-union jobs they realize that scabbing is different. Most would rather simply work outside the industry first.

CWA/AFA would what? Honor the picket line or cross?

I think they would most likey be the most supportive. I think they would honor it.

Flight Attendants, who have a high ratio of women and effeminant men amongst their ranks have proven over and over again that they are the most courageous work group around.

These two groups of people are often ridiculed by "macho men" like my fellow mechanics and pilots who when the shyte hits the fan, run for cover.

We could learn from them about courage.

If you think they would cross, I would say that I think you are wrong. Just MHO.

I would not think that.

WAY TO GO UAL MECHANICS! It's about time someone said:"Take your &^%$#@* concessions and shove it!" :up: If this was U.S.AIR or AA, the IAM or TWU would be making them revote until they said yes. :down: We as AMTs need now to support the UAL mechanics with more than words or hot air!

PRINCESS KIDAGAKASH said:
WAY TO GO UAL MECHANICS! It's about time someone said:"Take your &^%$#@* concessions and shove it!" :up: If this was U.S.AIR or AA, the IAM or TWU would be making them revote until they said yes. :down: We as AMTs need now to support the UAL mechanics with more than words or hot air!
[post="243282"][/post]​

Thanks Princess :up:

Take Care,
B) UT