Moving into management

Bob Owens said:
For us every day is different, by the time you get bored there is a new fleet type arriving.

Have you looked around the break room at the terminal lately? Everyone is on a laptop watching movies, playing video games, nodding off, or wandering the terminal. There are a quite a few new fleet types and there are still plenty of bored people.

eolesen said:
Best advise I ever got: never stay in a job more than three years. You spend the first year learning it, the second year enjoying it, and then the challenges are few and far between.

I don't regret making the jump, but I did it in my younger unmarried days, which made it easy to take a job in a station where I didn't know anyone I'd be supervising, and then knew enough to move on to HDQ instead of staying put. That's probably a harder proposition for most AMTs looking to move into management.

Got any good advice on getting married or teenagers?

jimntx said:
Amen, Topcat870. And, the micromanagement doesn't change that much from one company to the next. Saw many examples of this at Texaco over 20 years ago. There was one manager in IT dept. at Texaco whose employees would have followed her to the end--even if she told them to "line up double file and we will all jump off the roof." Her employees would form neat double lines and wait for the instruction to proceed to the roof. I asked her once what was her secret. She replied that "the day I became a real manager was the day I realized that my employees knew how to do their jobs better than I did. That my job was to run interference for them, and otherwise stay in my office and leave them alone."

Exactly. A good manager removes obstacles so their workers can work. Enables and empowers.

Overspeed said:
Have you looked around the break room at the terminal lately? Everyone is on a laptop watching movies, playing video games, nodding off, or wandering the terminal. There are a quite a few new fleet types and there are still plenty of bored people.
spoken like a true management wanna be!

Reactions: 5 people
dfw gen,

He's actually what's wrong with the TWU.  It's loaded with too many ignorant FSC's, who wish they had one-tenth of a brain.  Every time they look in the mirror, there's no head or brain there.  It's an empty space.

AMFA Now More Than Ever

Reactions: 2 people
management position is a pay cut
no seniority as to shift or days off you do what they tell you when they tell you
they eat their own
nuff said....

Reactions: 1 person
Overspeed said:
Got any good advice on getting married or teenagers?
No TVs, computers or internet access in the bedrooms or on their smartphones, and disable picture texting as well... That worked well enough for my oldest son to stay out of the types of trouble we didn't have to deal with...

AANYER said:
dfw gen,

He's actually what's wrong with the TWU.  It's loaded with too many ignorant FSC's, who wish they had one-tenth of a brain.  Every time they look in the mirror, there's no head or brain there.  It's an empty space.

AMFA Now More Than Ever

You must be a post-95er

Yep. Going all the way back to PE.

The guys I know who stayed at CO after the merger were still part-time agents at CO five years later, making only slightly more than the $5/hour PE was paying. When I left AA, I was making over $36/hour.

Why would I give up doing work I find fun, surrender schedule flexibility, surrender job security, alienate friendships and take a pay cut in order to increase my stress level by an order of magnitude and report directly to people I absolutely cannot stand?

Reactions: 5 people
ChockJockey said:
Why would I give up doing work I find fun, surrender schedule flexibility, surrender job security, alienate friendships and take a pay cut in order to increase my stress level by an order of magnitude and report directly to people I absolutely cannot stand?
could not of said it better!

Reactions: 1 person
ChockJockey said:

Kind of point, not to mention the fact the supervisor has no control over crew, everything has to be approved be a manager, including paid lunch's. 

ChockJockey said:

^This^

eolesen said:
Yep. Going all the way back to PE.
http://articles.dailypress.com/2014-02-27/news/dp-nws-people-express-ceo-0227-20140226_1_express-ceo-ceo-jeffrey-erickson-charter-airline

The fledgling airline announced on its Facebook Page on Feb. 14 that it is accepting applications for pilots and first officers, and on Monday added a post adding mechanics to the potential jobs. But Erickson said the company is not yet ready to start interviewing people. "We're building a pool," he said.

Go for it Start yet another3-year job change

Latest posts