New FC meals - where's the promotion?

FCYTravis

Senior
Sep 16, 2005
SFO/OAK Bay Area
So it looks like US is rolling out an all-new and apparently MUCH-improved meal service in First Class, with menu rotations every 30 days, real bread (as opposed to the packages of breadsticks that have been in US F for awhile), meals on midcons like CLT-DFW and a much more creative selection of foods. These meals have already been appearing on certain flights, according to trip reports.

But you wouldn't know it from the US Web site, or from anywhere else for that matter. There's been nothing said anywhere officially about these changes.

This is something POSITIVE that US is doing - why isn't it being publicized? Why do we have to get this stuff from a friendly employee passing along internal menus? Why is all of this being kept a secret from the airline's best customers? Why isn't this good news in a press release or mass e-mail to all the elites, trumpeting what at this point appears to be a definite increase in value for First Class travelers and an incentive to stay with US for those who might have been on the fence.

Communication is a powerful tool, and a lack of communication sends a powerful message. What they don't tell us, can hurt them.

thats good to see. i didnt even know that and i work there! how disapointing for those "midcon" travelers though when thier return flight is on mesa or republic? we cant get those e190s quick enough!

I worked PHL-BDA and BDA-CLT with level 1 type f/c meal service. Also worked PHL-SAN with no meal at all. Only drinks and snack basket. The flight was at 8:00pm. People were expecting food to SAN but not to and from BDA. Go figure.

Not saying I agree with their approach but it is a step in the right direction and I applaud this move
Absolutely - it's GREAT news. I just wish they'd spread this great news! They'd get a lot of goodwill just by saying to their elites, "Look at what we're doing to improve the First Class experience." And it's virtually free to do so - just post it on the Web site and send it out to the elite e-mail list.

The Internet has made communicating with people so cheap and easy that there's almost no excuse not to do it.

If the US execs are making moves to keep our best customers, they should also consider reducing the minimum flight time for F Class meal service. Folks up front on Florida flights of 2-2.5 hours are getting nada and we hear about it.

:down:

Absolutely - it's GREAT news. I just wish they'd spread this great news! They'd get a lot of goodwill just by saying to their elites, "Look at what we're doing to improve the First Class experience." And it's virtually free to do so - just post it on the Web site and send it out to the elite e-mail list.

Perhaps they don't want everyone to know about it. Keep the riff-raff out of first and all that. It's like the fly in the soup; if everyone hears that there is a fly in someone's soup, they'll want a fly in their soup, as well.

I tend to be sympathetic to airline management when it comes to the question of food service. I'm not in marketing nor airlines, but I do work in the attitude of entitlement business, and I know how it can skew reason. This is especially true in an environment in which the service provide (airlines) has derationalized the value proposition of its product by opaque pricing.

So, for all sorts of reasons the value calculation of air travel has collapsed and is in the process of restructuring in my opinion.

This is why I kind of like the idea of unannounce and unpromised amenities. Don't get me wrong for you guys/gals that spend SO much time in the air, I can fully imagine that a meal on a plane is not only nice but a significant productivity enhancement, but I imagine from the airline's perspective, it's a revenue/cost nightmare.

Seriously, getting hot food at 30,000 feet really should be a nice surprise. So, I'm kind of attracted to the surprise amenity. It cost's money to provide that food. To get your unit costs down for all of the infrastructure needed to provide food at 30,000 feet, you need volume, but then you're providing an amenity that may not be valued at all by many of those to whom it is offered. Hey, when I'm hungry and I was expecting food in first and I get a snack basket, it sucks.

But if your going to re-rationalize the value proposition, clarity helps. Lower, flatter fares that reflect the cost of providing the transportation, with only those amenities that pass a value/cost standard should be offered, with amenities and enhancements added in per the market. Figuring the new balance out is not going to be obvious.

I understand that in the past (maybe station by station) U has surprised high price purchasers with amenities that are known to be high value because of the targetted, discretionary nature. Of course, it only makes sense to pay that much attention to the needs of a few high value customers.

I think the FF programs should go in this direction as well. Be clear about the value of your product by really kind of expecting that everyone pays to get on an airplane and have the person and stuff elevated to 30,000 feet. But then let preferred customers (that are awarded miles or points on a more discretionary instead of contract/legal basis) use miles or points for those amenities, including upgrades, inflight service, priority handling, etc.

I don't really know what I'm talking about.

So it looks like US is rolling out an all-new and apparently MUCH-improved meal service in First Class, with menu rotations every 30 days, real bread (as opposed to the packages of breadsticks that have been in US F for awhile), meals on midcons like CLT-DFW and a much more creative selection of foods. These meals have already been appearing on certain flights, according to trip reports.

SKY HIGH states: Why publicize AIRLINE FOOD? It's "average FOOD" taken out of a tin. Placed on a plate and served. "Improved" is subjective. Airline food has been the butt of jokes for decades. While these meals are IMPROVED from the previous meals, they do not merit publicity.

CONS: Plating is time consuming. Does NOT allow the galley person to perform much help in coach. Nice to see the cheesecake back. But, remember, you MUST serve them BEFORE you pick up the tray. NO ADDITIONAL utensils for the cheesecake service.

PROS: Kudos' Tempe. REWARD your best customers with a better meal. They know this airline thoroughly. They're watching. It's nice to place a tray in front of a passenger that you're NOT embarrassed about.

I tend to be sympathetic to airline management when it comes to the question of food service. I'm not in marketing nor airlines, but I do work in the attitude of entitlement business, and I know how it can skew reason. This is especially true in an environment in which the service provide (airlines) has derationalized the value proposition of its product by opaque pricing.

So, for all sorts of reasons the value calculation of air travel has collapsed and is in the process of restructuring in my opinion.

This is why I kind of like the idea of unannounce and unpromised amenities. Don't get me wrong for you guys/gals that spend SO much time in the air, I can fully imagine that a meal on a plane is not only nice but a significant productivity enhancement, but I imagine from the airline's perspective, it's a revenue/cost nightmare.

Seriously, getting hot food at 30,000 feet really should be a nice surprise. So, I'm kind of attracted to the surprise amenity. It cost's money to provide that food. To get your unit costs down for all of the infrastructure needed to provide food at 30,000 feet, you need volume, but then you're providing an amenity that may not be valued at all by many of those to whom it is offered. Hey, when I'm hungry and I was expecting food in first and I get a snack basket, it sucks.

But if your going to re-rationalize the value proposition, clarity helps. Lower, flatter fares that reflect the cost of providing the transportation, with only those amenities that pass a value/cost standard should be offered, with amenities and enhancements added in per the market. Figuring the new balance out is not going to be obvious.

I understand that in the past (maybe station by station) U has surprised high price purchasers with amenities that are known to be high value because of the targetted, discretionary nature. Of course, it only makes sense to pay that much attention to the needs of a few high value customers.

I think the FF programs should go in this direction as well. Be clear about the value of your product by really kind of expecting that everyone pays to get on an airplane and have the person and stuff elevated to 30,000 feet. But then let preferred customers (that are awarded miles or points on a more discretionary instead of contract/legal basis) use miles or points for those amenities, including upgrades, inflight service, priority handling, etc.

I don't really know what I'm talking about.

Actually, I think you do! Food is a no win, no revenue for Airlines. Lately, I haven't seen any airline say "how great their food is". And as we all know, what is here today, could be gone tomorrow and that is only based on revenue. You are so right about the food service not only being very difficult, but also very expensive for airlines.

My basic desire is that they would really make the meal serving peramitters very clear. Such as the PHL-SAN flight. Since it leaves at 8p, I know there won't be dinner, but most others don't. It's to late of a departure.

As for the suggestion that the big-wigs are looking at this web site and making decisions about how to run the airline (RowUnderDCA, I know that you did not say that)well they don't.

I give feedback from this website, to them myself, but seriously, there are only a handful of us that take the time to write on this site (what does that say about us?????) but the big-wigs pay no attention.

I don't get all that jazzed up over airline food or it's presentation frankly.

What FOR ME is most important about this recent change is that as someone else said on a different thread "They're lousy at responding but they do listen".

This move whether you like it or not is clearly a response to customer concerns and feedback and while some of us may not be overly excited about the way news is delivered, in this case the end result is positive.

I think going forward the airline would be better off establishing an open dialog with its key customers. Frankly I'm not advocating FFOCUS be that vehucle. Honestly I don't care how they do it or if I'm involved in it, I just think it needs to happen. I also think it could even result in driving more cost out of the enterprise. Remember most elites are pretty serious minded business people whon can read a spreadsheet just like the Sandcastle.

As a Sales Trainer and former Sales Rep I don't think you can get to close to your customers. It's really kind of funny but if you take the time to ask your best customers why it is they buy from you they actually will take an hour and tell you, then all you have to do is listen. Heck SOME will take a Saturday and spend their own money to attend an event like RoachFEST '04

I know that in the past AWA did get together with the top FF every so often to get feedback. Does that not happen anymore? Man, I hope so, talking about getting the information from the right people!!!

If the US execs are making moves to keep our best customers, they should also consider reducing the minimum flight time for F Class meal service. Folks up front on Florida flights of 2-2.5 hours are getting nada and we hear about it.

:down:

Come to think of it, when was the last time anyone got a free airline ticket after eating a steak at Ruth's Chris Steak House?

Today I was on a 2hr 5 min DL flight from ATL - BOS to leave at 0730 we did leave at 0812.

However we had a "light meal" for breakfast. It was cutfruil, begal, yougart, cereal.

A nice meal, and a pleasent surprise. Last time I flew DL in the morning BDL - CVG, all we had was the snack mix, not my idea of breakfast at 0630.

My point is the meal was more than I expected, and I was very pleased. I recently had a meal on US, and again it was a nice surprise, and it made me happy. It dosen't need to be much, just more than an evening snack mix. If I want a hearty breakfast I'll go to a "Jersey Diner."

I worked PHL-BDA and BDA-CLT with level 1 type f/c meal service. Also worked PHL-SAN with no meal at all. Only drinks and snack basket. The flight was at 8:00pm. People were expecting food to SAN but not to and from BDA. Go figure.
People expect too much. Food? On an 8 PM flight? Really? If you visit a friend's home after 8 PM, do you expect a meal? (not counting an invite for a meal, of course)

Absurd.

Back