New Legislation To Eradicate Wright/shelby

JS said:
Sure, if you're a crook.

For once it's nice to hear a mayor act without the blinders of "if it's inside my city limits, I care; if not, I don't". Dallas may be a big city, but it does not operate in a vacuum in the geographical region known as the Dallas/Ft. Worth Metroplex.
[post="273681"][/post]​

Wow! I guess I never thought of it that way.

Of course! She's not influenced by anyone. She's doing this out of Civic concern for the community. Dallas is so lucky to have her as a Mayor. Thanks for setting me straight.

Ch. 12 said:
Dog-

First off, the WA allows ANY aircraft to be flown into and out of DAL so long as there are 56 or fewer seats. Look at Legend's DC9's and AA's response with MD80's. There was alot of free, seatless space on those aircraft.

Now...this "protection" argument that continues to go around in response to repealling a far outlived law doesn't make any sense. What "protected market" do we speak of? DAL to Harlington? Amarillo? Tulsa? Lubbock? I'm sorry, but what is there to protect? But what IS being protected is AMR's Dallas to LAX, NYC, CHI, PHL, etc, etc. Basically any reasonable market.

But I do agree with you that it has probably helped to shape the WN that we know today as they set their sights early on on "focus cities" rather than fortress hubs and on alternate airports. The difference is that they can actually fly to respectable markets from those other focus cities and alternate airports.
[post="273597"][/post]​

You are misunderstanding me. I'm not making the same 'protection' argument you have seen before. I'm talking about the fact that DAL is not a desirable airport thanks to the Wright amendment.

You also deny the fact that Southwest is now the big dog. I'm wondering how well they can play defense for a change. in the past, Southwest has ALWAYS been the aggressor - in PIT, PHL, etc. This time, they will be opening up DAL to attack. I don't recall a single instance where Southwest had to defend an airport they dominate.

So this will be new. There will be an explosion of competition at DAL if the WA is repealed. The point I'm trying to make is this will not be all good for Southwest.

wnbubbleboy said:
Wow! I guess I never thought of it that way.

Of course! She's not influenced by anyone. She's doing this out of Civic concern for the community. Dallas is so lucky to have her as a Mayor. Thanks for setting me straight.
[post="273698"][/post]​

You're welcome! :)

OMG, the revisionist c#$* that's being fostered by Reps. Burgess, Barton, Granger, Marchant and Operaations is AMAZING :down:

Southwest :blink: AGREED :blink: to the Wright Amendment?!?!?!?!!?

I've posted this link before, which portrays a VERY different take on this story, complete with news article links and citations from the time of the actual events. I invite anyone to cite actual articles/evidence to the contrary.

FightWright.org

I'll go through, point by point, if I have to, but REALLY people.......

operaations said:
Southwest would also have everyone believe this debate is about low fares. It isn’t. As we know all too well, there is no shortage of low fares, or low cost competitors, at DFW. Fares have fallen dramatically during the past few years – and like any other airline, nothing prevents Southwest from offering whatever fares it would like from DFW anytime they would like.
[post="273693"][/post]​

Respectfully, the study DFW paid for disagreed, according to the Ft. Worth Star Telegram, as posted in another topic here.

operaations said:
Let’s start with a little background. Back in 1968, the leaders of Dallas and Fort Worth concluded, very wisely, that it was in both cities’ – and the entire region’s -- interest to combine resources to support a single regional airport, instead of two competing local ones. The results speak for themselves. Today DFW Airport is one of the world’s premier aviation gateways. It is the undisputed driver of the North Texas economy – and with the recent completion of a $2.6 billion capital project, which includes the brand new Terminal D and Skylink train, it is poised to make an even greater contribution in the years to come.
When DFW was built, both Dallas and Fort Worth intended to close all the other local airports to commercial airline service, including Love Field in downtown Dallas. Every airline serving those cities was told they would have to move their operations to the new airport, and every airline signed an agreement committing to do so. This public policy was not unique; many communities around the country – including Kansas City, Detroit, Cleveland, Minneapolis/St. Paul, Seattle, and most recently Denver, have gone to great lengths to ensure that the new airports they build, at incredible expense, are not undermined by the airports they replace. In Denver they actually destroyed the runways at the old Stapleton Airport to protect the investment the community made in the new Denver International Airport.
The airlines serving Dallas and Fort Worth signed the agreement to relocate to DFW in 1970. At that time, Southwest had not yet commenced service. When DFW opened in 1974, Southwest exploited the fact that they had not signed the agreement, and refused to move from Love Field. Their refusal led to litigation that enabled them to stay at Love Field while its competitors, including American, were forced out. When Southwest later sought to fly outside of Texas from Love Field, more legal wrangling ensued, and ultimately a compromise was reached. Southwest and others supported federal legislation allowing it to keep operating out of Love Field, but only in short haul markets. The now-famous law, passed in 1979, became known as the Wright Amendment.
For the past quarter century, as dozens of carriers fought it out at DFW, Southwest has had Love Field pretty much to itself. And as even a casual observer of our industry knows, Southwest has been able to exploit this advantage and grow itself into a large and very successful airline.
What’s Happening Now

Today, Southwest is trying to further exploit their Love Field advantage by asking Congress to change the Wright Amendment – something it promised never to do. It has launched an aggressive public relations and lobbying campaign, seeking to remove or lessen the restrictions on Love Field operations.
Southwest would like consumers and citizens of Dallas to believe that the Wright Amendment is the reason they cannot fly more places on Southwest. But for more than thirty years, Southwest has had the opportunity to compete – as so many have – and serve any market it wants from DFW, a world-class airport just 12 miles from its headquarters. Southwest has chosen, and continues to choose, to remain exclusively at Love Field, knowing full well that airport’s federally-imposed limitations.
Southwest would also have everyone believe this debate is about low fares. It isn’t. As we know all too well, there is no shortage of low fares, or low cost competitors, at DFW. Fares have fallen dramatically during the past few years – and like any other airline, nothing prevents Southwest from offering whatever fares it would like from DFW anytime they would like.
The Potential Harm
If Southwest is successful in getting the Wright Amendment repealed or amended, it will do real damage to American Airlines, DFW Airport, and the greater community. Having invested literally billions of dollars in DFW, under the assumption that the Wright Amendment would remain in place, we will have no choice but to divert some of our resources from our DFW hub to Love Field. Why? Because while DFW is a great airport, many of our best customers live much closer to Love Field – and airport convenience is a primary driver of buying behavior. The last thing we can afford is to allow an unchallenged carrier at Love Field to undermine our position in the local market. At the same time, growing our Love Field presence will not be easy, since the facilities there are very limited and numerous neighborhood groups are concerned about the potential noise and other environmental consequences of opening up Love. Southwest – which has created a virtual monopoly by gaining control of the lion’s share of Love Field gates -- understands this very well, and insists that the Love Field Master Plan that restricts competitive access remain in place.
Common sense tells us that any expansion of service at Love Field – by Southwest, American or anybody else – will come at the expense of DFW. That’s why so many cities close or restrict their old airport when they open a new one. For DFW, the timing of this potential diversion couldn’t be worse, coming on the heels of the $2.6 billion capital project.
The community certainly won’t benefit if the Wright Amendment goes away. Splitting the region’s aviation resources between two airports was a bad idea in 1968, and it’s an even worse idea today. Fort Worth would be particularly harmed as the region’s transportation center shifts in favor of Dallas.
The Bottom Line

The bottom line is this: Southwest Airlines wants people to believe that it is looking out for consumers when, in fact, it is really looking out for itself. It is, once again, trying to legislate a competitive advantage – and the irony is that Southwest doesn’t need this sort of governmental help. I have made no secret of my admiration for Herb Kelleher, Gary Kelly and the rest of the Southwest team for their great success and competitive spirit. Nothing in this overview is intended to diminish that respect in any way. But, on this subject, they are simply wrong. Southwest is far and away the industry’s most profitable carrier, and there is no airline better positioned to take full advantage of the enormous investment our community has made in DFW. But despite its distinguished track record, Southwest is seemingly unwilling to compete on a level playing field in North Texas. And though its PR campaign would have everyone believe otherwise, it is apparently willing to damage the greater North Texas community to gain an advantage it doesn’t need
[post="273693"][/post]​

operaations,

A very well thought-out and well written piece. However my disagreements with it are:

1) Everyone agrees that competition will lower fares in the DFW area. What is more likely to fill those newly-built up gates at DFW; protectionism or competition? PHL is the 4 th largest metro area in the U.S., but ranked as the 23rd largest airport for O&D traffic. U was already a weak carrier and was holding the area hostage with its high fares. Philadelphia made the decision to pursue SW a few years ago, aschewing the argument that it would damage U. AA is making the same backward argument, look at how many jobs we produce in the region, so it is in everyone's interest to give it special protection.

2) I don't agree that No. Texas would be harmed by having 2 national airports instead of one. Are Houston, San Francisco, Miami and Chicago harmed because they have 2 airports in their cities? Washington, New York because they have 3 airports? Undoubtedly if you give choice to people, some will quit flying out of DFW because of Love. I understand why that is a problem for DFW, but not for North Texas.

3) Two of your comments were very ironic.

"The bottom line is this: Southwest Airlines wants people to believe that it is looking out for consumers when, in fact, it is really looking out for itself. "

- Don't all corporations, look out for themselves. Is AA any different?

"It is, once again, trying to legislate a competitive advantage – and the irony is that Southwest doesn’t need this sort of governmental help."

- I think it actually is trying to remove a legislative advantage for its competition, that is a big difference.

It doesn't matter whether the WA is good or bad for the community. This is a federal law and will be dealt with by congress, most of whom don't give a damn about what's good for north Texas. They don't give a damn about the history of the WA. What they know is that their constituents could probably lower their transportation costs to the Dallas region if the WA is repealed.

Time to get with your representative...here's a copy of the house bill that's been introduced.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

109th CONGRESS

1st Session

H. R. 2646
To eliminate certain restrictions on air transportation to and from Love Field, Texas.

IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES

May 26, 2005
Mr. HENSARLING (for himself and Mr. SAM JOHNSON of Texas) introduced the following bill; which was referred to the Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure

A BILL
To eliminate certain restrictions on air transportation to and from Love Field, Texas.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,

SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.

This Act may be cited as the `Right to Fly Act'.

SEC. 2. ELIMINATION OF RESTRICTION.

Section 29 of the International Air Transportation Competition Act of 1979 (94 Stat. 48) is repealed.

I don't even know where to start, operaations. First off, you tell WN to move to DFW but a breath later you state that it is ridiculous that AA would have to invest in moving some operations to the cheaper DAL. Now can you really say that these two contradictions are real arguments? Can you imagine how much more $$ WN would have to pay to relocate to the more expensive DFW. And AA has always had some sort of presence at DAL be it mainline or AE so I seriously doubt it would take much $$.

And get off the "WN has been protected all of these years" argument. Just as I've asked before, what markets are being protected? WN's markets out of the Dallas area are pathetic. They can't even sell a connecting ticket to a destination that means much of anything.

Your point of view is clearly slanted towards protecting an AA fortress (I don't blame you since it is obviously your plAAce of employment) but I just want to clarify that AA doesn't have to move if the WA is repealed, passengers will benefit due to convenenience and lower airfares, and no...WN has never had any protection out of DAL. If they were flying DAL-LAX and nobody could compete (or they had to on WN's terms), that would be one thing, but that is not the case. I would say that if anybody has enjoyed protection out of this it has been AMR. And it is sickening to see exactly how bought-off so many government officials have been. They aren't fighting for what is best for constituents, they are fighting for what is best for AMR. Disgusting.

Where's Herb?

From The Dallas Morning news,

Washington lobbying

Kevin Henry, chairman of the Baltimore chapter of the Southwest Pilots' Association, said he accompanied Southwest founder and chairman Herb Kelleher on Wednesday to meet with Sen. Conrad Burns, R-Mont., who is chairman of the Aviation Subcommittee of the Senate Commerce, Science and Transportation Committee.

"He did not commit to anything, but he was listening intently," Mr. Henry said.

On Thursday, Mr. Kelleher told reporters at a news conference that American's arguments against lifting the Wright amendment are "an infomercial" with "no substance whatsoever."

He said the issue is much broader than just a North Texas tiff between airlines and cities.

"We are the largest carrier in both California and Florida, and we can't fly there from Dallas," Mr. Kelleher said.

American reserved its opposition for its rival.

"This push by Southwest reflects the understandably selfish intentions of a company that today is roaming the halls of Congress seeking special favors," American Airlines executive vice president Dan Garton said in a statement.

"If Southwest were sincere about growing and competing, they would be flying from D/FW Airport – and they wouldn't need an act of Congress."

With regaurd to comments about Southwest and its' markets having limited competitivness with those that fly to SFO, LGA, JFK, MSP... i foresee the relationship with ATA and its presence in these markets, to intensify in Dallas. Is it possible that ATA will leave DFW for LUV? Makes sense to me!

"they would be flying from D/FW Airport – and they wouldn't need an act of Congress."

In these great States, why should one not be allowed to fly from where ever they want! How childish..

skyguy25 said:
"they would be flying from D/FW Airport – and they wouldn't need an act of Congress."

In these great States, why should one not be allowed to fly from where ever they want! How childish..
[post="274054"][/post]​

It's amazing that the quote came from the airline that used political favors to get "an act of congress" to put the Wright Amendment in place. :shock:

lowfareair said:
It's amazing that the quote came from the airline that used political favors to get "an act of congress" to put the Wright Amendment in place. :shock:
[post="274059"][/post]​

I don't think that AA had that kind of political muscle back then. I think it was to done by Ft. Worth speaker of the House Jim Wright to protect all carriers at DFW.

AirplaneFan said:
I don't think that AA had that kind of political muscle back then. I think it was to done by Ft. Worth speaker of the House Jim Wright to protect all carriers at DFW.
[post="274185"][/post]​
Airplane fan you will now be considered a liar because you do not back up everything that LUV stands for. They seem to think AA is the reason for the Wright.

Get real if Southwest wanted to fly non stop from the Dallas area move to DFW but they wont