No More Peanuts

LOL...it was about "US" pax....
Thanx for the explanation! I was beginning to think all I have doing lately is whining! Suns lost so I better not say anything else! You make think its whining(on US pax behalf) but last I heard the squeaky wheel gets the grease! Cant fix what they dont know about!

Hey, I might be allergic to hydraulic fluid, so can we not put any on the plane? Oh, and grease and oil too. The plastic seat backs might pinch my finger when I put it back up, so get rid of that. The carpeting in the aisles might get ripped, and I might trip on it and fall, so get rid of that too.

I'm allergic to any man made fibers, so all passengers have to wear cotton, because I might brush up against them, and the seat covers need to be removed as well as the foam beneath them.

Leather seat backs? That may offend animal rights people and we can't risk losing their business, so we have to get rid of that too.

Oh, and flying makes some people nervous, so could we all make sure the landings and takeoffs are more smooth? And since lots of people are afraid of heights, we have to close the window blinds at all times. Wait, if we do that, we will scare all the claustrophobics, and they might get a heart attack!

Oh, what will we do? :p

• Banned
It is the weekend, take some time off the boards, it has effected your thought process.

You pay for transportation, not a bag of peanuts, get over it all ready.

And if you don't like it go fly an airline that will give you a stupid bag of peanuts.

Get a sense of humor, it will go a long way to making people think you are normal.

(700 telling someone to take time off the boards...can't you just feel the irony?) :up:

We gave up serving peanuts at AA several years ago. However, when passengers tell us that they have a peanut allergy, we make it clear to them that we do NOT guarantee a peanut-free environment on the a/c because we can not control what passengers bring on the a/c.

As far as the increase in allergies in the 90's. It actually started in the 80's. I've commented more than once to friends that when I was in grammar school there was one kid in my class who had allergies--and he LOOKED sick. Now it seems that everyone is allergic to something.

I talked with a physician friend of mine about it. He said that they are definitely seeing an increase in allergies in people today. He said there are several theories out in the medical field attributing the increase in allergies to (pick your poison) a. increase in air pollution, b. increase in chemical food additives, c. generally poor diet of most Americans, etc. His opinion was that it is because we insist on an increasingly sterile environment; so, people do not grow up developing resistance to infection, allergic reactions, etc. I sometimes think I am the only person left in North America who still drinks tap water. We all have to have our bottled water or nothing at all.

In addtion when people go to the doctor, they insist on being medicated--even if the Dr. tells them it's a virus and there are no medications that will work against the virus. The more anitbiotics you take, the less resistance you have to germs in the environment because your body's natural defenses are suppressed when their job is taken over by pills.

In any case, it's not all personal injury lawyers, there is a real increase in the incidence of allergies in this country. You do not see it in other parts of the world where people are still exposed to their natural environment on a regular basis.

His opinion was that it is because we insist on an increasingly sterile environment; so, people do not grow up developing resistance to infection, allergic reactions, etc. I sometimes think I am the only person left in North America who still drinks tap water. .............You do not see it in other parts of the world where people are still exposed to their natural environment on a regular basis.

Many medical professionals agree with your MD friend. The body's immune systems a pretty amazing thing but I guess that, like the rest of the body, it needs exercise - within reason - to work right.

I understand that people are allergic to peanuts but it is the favorite snack item on an airplane....can the people with peanut allergies take precautions on their own...a mask perhaps? I'm not sure how these allergies work or are triggered but in my years of flying...with 100's of thousands of people over those years...not one reaction.

I've had more allergic reactions from dust and pet dander than anything else.

America is the most ridiculous politically correct country sometimes.

Typically, if they know they are dangerously allergic they carry an injector needle with them with medicine to keep them from going into anphalytic shock. But, whose responsibility is it, 9,999 passengers not eating peanuts, or one passenger taking personal responsibility?

Nope, we gotta dumb down everything and make everthing less risky and dull the edges of everything to please the lawyers.

Its stupid. I'm bringing my own peanuts next time I fly.

I eat PB&J sandwiches on my commute to work. I'll ask the pax next to me if it's okay but I'm not going to ask for a PA. People allergic to bee stings know to carry a syringe of medicine with them. Do peanut allergy people do as well?

Anaphylactic shock can initially be treated with ephenepherine carried by the passenger or used from our EEMK. A diversion would most likely be necessary because the pax's vitals would have to be stabilized, i.e. very low blood pressure due to systemic shock. Allergies onboard are absolutely life-threatening, and although we can not sterilize the a/c to all sources of peanut dust, we can help by not contributing to this growing problem.

Anaphylactic shock can initially be treated with ephenepherine carried by the passenger or used from our EEMK. A diversion would most likely be necessary because the pax's vitals would have to be stabilized, i.e. very low blood pressure due to systemic shock. Allergies onboard are absolutely life-threatening, and although we can not sterilize the a/c to all sources of peanut dust, we can help by not contributing to this growing problem.

But the epi can only be administered by and MD, DO, PA, licensed nurse or a paramedic, correct?

... The body's immune systems a pretty amazing thing but I guess that, like the rest of the body, it needs exercise - within reason - to work right...

Which exercises are available to help the immune system...what helps the endocrine and lymphatic systems work better? Many with immunological diseases would love to know. You can not "exercise" away a sensitivity.

Which exercises are available to help the immune system
Perhaps the wrong phrase since it connotes building up something which has been weakened by lack of use....

I've long thought that we raise too many "hot house" kids - just "country logic" with quite possibly no medical validity. But my reasoning is that kids need to be exposed to the environment more growing up. Not shielded from anything that may be harmful or medicated at the first sign of illness. Raising kids in too sterile an environment ill prepares them to face all the "bugs" that the world presents.

As kids growing up on the farm long ago, we ate our share of dirt, stepped on the occasional rusty nail, got bit by the occasional stray dog or cat (or squirrel, mouse, etc), cleaned out chicken houses with a shovel then spread the stuff on the fields as "free" fertilizer (often surrounded by a cloud of chicken poop dust), etc, etc. Skin a knee - no bandaides, antiseptics, etc (learned quickly not to let Mama put that red stuff on it - it burned like nothing else). In other words, we were exposed to all the world had to offer. Never had a tetnus shot, never even heard of bird flu, didn't have any idea what a respirator or protective mask was. Didn't take a pill ever time we got the sniffles. Not only drank well water, but a fair share from the pond or streams. Pulled turnips out of the ground, wiped them off on the old pants leg, and ate them. Strawberries, tomatoes, etc, were perfect eaten straight from the vine. Ham was what you cut off that pork shoulder hanging in the barn that had been packed in salt.

Aside from both measles & chicken pox as a kid, and the occassional cold, I've never been sick a day in my nearly 60 years of life, nor have any allergies that I know of. Is there a connection? Don't know, but it makes sense to me. My immune system has been "exercised" since the day I was born (at home on the farm, doctor came by the next day and filled out a birth certificate), and seems to be in fine form.

Jim

My immune system has been "exercised" since the day I was born (at home on the farm, doctor came by the next day and filled out a birth certificate), and seems to be in fine form.

Jim

Lucky you. :) You seem strong as an ox. I think that the epidemic of allergies, autism , ADD, and other popular current illnesses may be linked to the environment, some immunizations, and our food source. You had all that fresh air , organic food, and no TETANUS shot!

Back