No More Peanuts

The Acela travels between DC-PHL-NY-BOS
On other trains:
All meals for First Class passengers are included in the price of their train ticket[/b] while coach class passengers may dine for an additional charge. Hours of operation of food-service cars vary depending on train operation.

Sky high states: Those city pairs reflect the SHUTTLE SERVICE at US. That's a 30 MINUTE FLIGHT......compared to a THREE HOUR TRAIN RIDE.

Secondly, you're ASSUMING the "airlines" should feed you.

Sky high states: Those city pairs reflect the SHUTTLE SERVICE at US. That's a 30 MINUTE FLIGHT......compared to a THREE HOUR TRAIN RIDE.

Secondly, you're ASSUMING the "airlines" should feed you.

Look, someone made a blanket statement that AMTRAK doesn't feed its pax. That was inaccurate. My point is that AMTRAK does provide its FC customers with free drinks and food AND on trips of SIMILAR DURATION (not city to city), US serves no food. I didn't say that US should serve food on a PHL-LGA flight or DCA-LGA flight (although just a few years ago at least you did get food in FC on those shuttle flights).

It's all about competition SKYHIGH. Your competitors are charging the same fares and giving more for the $$$$. AA serves a HOT meal to MIA from PHL--on US, nothing. I have to run from a deposition in ABE to PHL next week to catch a flight to MIA. I will be lucky to grab something in the airport I will be so pressed for time. I don't think it is too much to ask that I get a Buy-on-Board type salad to MIA--particularly considering my ticket is almost $1,000.

Of course Amtrack is a huge money losing pit.

Taxpayer funded, horribly run and completely, utterly unable to make a profit.

Hell, they don't even stop in Phoenix or Tempe anymore! The Tempe station used to be across from the HQ at the Depot Cantina.

Nearest Scamtrack stop to Phoenix is about 40 miles south in the bustling metropolis of Maricopa.

Look, someone made a blanket statement that AMTRAK doesn't feed its pax. That was inaccurate. My point is that AMTRAK does provide its FC customers with free drinks and food AND on trips of SIMILAR DURATION (not city to city), US serves no food. I didn't say that US should serve food on a PHL-LGA flight or DCA-LGA flight (although just a few years ago at least you did get food in FC on those shuttle flights).

It's all about competition SKYHIGH. Your competitors are charging the same fares and giving more for the $$$$. AA serves a HOT meal to MIA from PHL--on US, nothing. I have to run from a deposition in ABE to PHL next week to catch a flight to MIA. I will be lucky to grab something in the airport I will be so pressed for time. I don't think it is too much to ask that I get a Buy-on-Board type salad to MIA--particularly considering my ticket is almost $1,000.
Unfotunately, there is no meal service and maybe for your situation another carrier would be an alternative. Not that we want to lose your business but if that would make your life easier it would probably be best for you. At least you know upfront if you trvl US there is no food and will not be surprised on the flight. Best to you in your trvls.

Interesting peanut observation tonight....I was flying Midway (MCI-PIT) and as a family was boarding the GA told the parents that she checked and the Mfgr. of the pretzels served on board may use the same oil as they do for the peanuts....but no peanuts are served on board. The parents thanked her for checking and said it wouldn't be a problem.

When on board, before pushback, the FA got on and announced that there was a small child on board with a severe peanut allergy and it would be sincerely appreciated if anybody brought any peanut products on board that they wouldn't open them. Nobody grumbled or complained.

I would guess that the Company is looking at this issue from the perspective that judgment and lawyers don't mix. Good judgment is good, but what happens if someone uses bad judgment? Lawsuits and threats. The safe way is safe, just not satisfactory to the 99% without the allergy.

It's all about competition SKYHIGH. Your competitors are I don't think it is too much to ask that I get a Buy-on-Board type salad to MIA--particularly considering my ticket is almost $1,000.

sky high states: A thousand bucks....trust me, US1Fare, Alot of F/A's who have flown for many years think you deserve that and more. But, this airline has 3 THOUSAND flights PER DAY. Approx. 200,000 passengers per day. How many do you feed??????? Who do you feed??????? And, be competitive and CONTROL COSTS.

Of course Amtrack is a huge money losing pit.

Taxpayer funded, horribly run and completely, utterly unable to make a profit.

Hell, they don't even stop in Phoenix or Tempe anymore! The Tempe station used to be across from the HQ at the Depot Cantina.

Nearest Scamtrack stop to Phoenix is about 40 miles south in the bustling metropolis of Maricopa.

The Acela high-speed train service is not a money loser. It's a money maker for Amtrak...and it's doing so at the expense of US and DL's shuttles. While someone earlier compared it to a slow boat to China, fact is that the time difference isn't that big when total travel time is taken into account - from downtown DC to downtown NYC. The airline shuttles are absolutely competing with Acela and need to keep that in mind when it comes to service and pricing.

While I still prefer the US shuttle, I have a number of colleagues who swear by the Acela and haven't flown this route in years.

And how much did it cost the taxpayers to buy the acela trains and upgrade the track?

Face it, Amtrack is an endless black hole of waste and loss.

Honestly, if rail travel was so great, there would be private industry doing it for profit, rather than taxpayer subsidized service. :down:

How much money did Acela make for Amtrak while they were parked for brake problems?

The Acela high-speed train service is not a money loser. It's a money maker for Amtrak...

Doesn't look like Amtrak can make money with Acela or the government's help...

"Basic Amtrak Facts

During FY 2005 (Oct. 2004-Sept. 2005), Amtrak welcomed aboard more than 25.4 million passengers, representing the third straight fiscal year of record ridership.

In FY 2005, Amtrak earned approximately $1.89 billion in revenue and incurred approximately $2.94 billion in expenses, covering 64% of its operating costs. Excluding depreciation, a non-cash cost, Amtrak covered 79% of its operating costs. No passenger railroad system in the world operates without some form of public support for capital costs and/or operating expenses." (These are the latest records made public by Amtrak)

Yet the government forces the employees of airlines to take massive concessions to get "government backed LOANS
"