No More Peanuts

I would never make fun of someone for being overweight but I can tell you those are just excuses. If you want to eat healthy you will find a way. Salads are common place and granola bars and fruit are plenty available. It is not that hard to watch what you eat but trying to get needed excercise can be hard when trvling. It can be done but its not easy. Just priorities IMHO.

While a lot of what you are saying is true and possible...it can get very expensive day in and day out while away from home to eat like that. And the worst part is time constraints....it's just easier to grab junk more quickly in between flights rather than searching the terminals for healthy and might I add "EXPENSIVE" salads and such. Also, add the fact that the average seniority on the East is 20, 30, 40+ years.....it's not that easy to stay active anymore. Both women and men when they get older tend to be out of shape and have more health issues. Not saying that about all F/A's, but that could definitely be a factor for most plus size ones. But don't you think its bothersome for them also....surely they know people are staring, laughing, talking about them....we live in a very judgmental society! The F/A's, large or small, are not there for you to ridicule, judge, serve gourmet meals, and care whether you got your PEANUTS or not :angry: , they are there to intervene in the event of ANY type of EMERGENCY! Everything else is just a cover! Whew! As you can tell it drive's me nuts when people talk bad about F/A's! Anyway, get rid of the damn peanuts.....life will go on! :up:

Because it's just another example of the Tyranny of the Minority?

125 people are suppossed to stop enjoying a popular snack because one Passenger 126 is allergic?

I can understand and support this decision with all the Class Action Lawyers out there. But otherwise it's a tough pill for me.

Please include all the crap that has taken place since 9/11 then why don't you...you are ballistic over P_E_A_N_U_T_S

That's ok, I'm allergic to BUGS....

While a lot of what you are saying is true and possible...it can get very expensive day in and day out while away from home to eat like that. And the worst part is time constraints....it's just easier to grab junk more quickly in between flights rather than searching the terminals for healthy and might I add "EXPENSIVE" salads and such. Also, add the fact that the average seniority on the East is 20, 30, 40+ years.....it's not that easy to stay active anymore. Both women and men when they get older tend to be out of shape and have more health issues. Not saying that about all F/A's, but that could definitely be a factor for most plus size ones. But don't you think its bothersome for them also....surely they know people are staring, laughing, talking about them....we live in a very judgmental society! The F/A's, large or small, are not there for you to ridicule, judge, serve gourmet meals, and care whether you got your PEANUTS or not :angry: , they are there to intervene in the event of ANY type of EMERGENCY! Everything else is just a cover! Whew! As you can tell it drive's me nuts when people talk bad about F/A's! Anyway, get rid of the damn peanuts.....life will go on! :up:
Please, this was not meant just for F/A's but for all of us. I work rez and there is a reason they call it the "rez spread." Even when you are not trvling healthier food is more expensive. You said its easier and take it from me many times easy is good!! I think F/As should be healthier and more in shape because of a possibility of an aircraft emergency. As we get older are bodies lose muscle naturally and when you lose muscle you burn less calories hence the additional pounds. A small amt of weight training and eating 6 small meals a day will help build muscle and increase your metabolism. This was never meant to be a post to degrade anyone as I have great respect for all of you but sometimes we tend to neglect our diet and excercise program. Its just something to focus on and can make you feel better about yourself, not to mention the health benefits in general. I will end this with I agree: get rid of those gosh darn peanuts and may all your flights be peanut free and safe. Regards, Mama

<SNIP>15 -20 years ago a restaurant in PVD thicked their chilli with peanut butter, and a customed died almost instantly.

Peanuts in chili? That would make me sick. And I like peanuts.

About five years ago I started noticing that the plates and silverware in Mexican restaurants were not being completely rinsed of soap. The food gets sent back, the next helping is the same way. It was obvious to me that the pots and pans in the kitchen were the same way.

This started happening more and more, not in places like Taco Bell, but nice sit-down restaurants with excellent service. I guess I could imagine the city health inspector was cracking down on the Mexican places for some reason, but when I found this in restaurants all over the country, that didn’t seem plausible.

Then one day I read a little sidebar in a cookbook; some people have a mild allergy to cilantro. To them it tastes like soap. And now, me too.

Why did that happen all of a sudden? I’ve always loved Mexican food, still do. I just remind the server to have the cook leave it out of what I’ve ordered.

My two times in the hospital was for birth and tonsils. I don’t take any medications; the bottle of aspirin is probably expired. The tetanus shot was 25 years ago, but I’m always skinning my knuckles in the shop. I’ll guzzle water out of the tap on the AC just like a fish (in fact the plastic tank taste on the Airbus brings back fond summer memories of drinking water out of the garden hose), but I do wash my hands a lot.

PhxMama,

Sorry for the banter....but the comebacks were intended for US1YFARE...he's the one that has the lack of respect for the oversized F/A's. Ironic, but he's the one that has complained most about the lack of food or snacks on flights! :D Anyway, let's get back to the original thread and get rid of those "pilot pellets"... :eek: uh oh...I guess I can see how easy it is to bash another group! LOL :lol:

PhxMama,

Sorry for the banter....but the comebacks were intended for US1YFARE...he's the one that has the lack of respect for the oversized F/A's. Ironic, but he's the one that has complained most about the lack of food or snacks on flights! :D Anyway, let's get back to the original thread and get rid of those "pilot pellets"... :eek: uh oh...I guess I can see how easy it is to bash another group! LOL :lol:
No harm done. I just didnt want you to think that I felt that way about you and your coworkers. Lets get back to original thread or maybe end it. I think this has gone on long enough or... maybe not. Eric, would you like to do a poll on whether employees prefer plain or crunchy peanut butter? Just kidding, I'm sure the gov has already given someone a grant to do just that. LOL

oh, i complain/whine about everything, so probably yes.

Just because I think they should have a snack basket and food on a flight doesn't mean that I eat it or that I am as hefty as some of your co-workers and my fellow pax. She said that you should be a Healthy Airline...well, that will be really funny if that speech is coming from some of your larger co-workers.

None of YOUR co-workers are hefty? Amazing! :lol:

i prefer all natural crunchy peanut butter.

LOL, lack of respect for oversized FA's...oh please...i just don't respect someone who is overweight telling me what to eat...

meanwhile, I'll be in my 32" waist pants looking for a snack basket and food service on my next flight--of course, I'm 3'9", but that's an issue for another thread.... ;)

Oh, and the lifestyle comment is just an excuse...I have recently seen a number of former PSA F/A's who could fit into their old uniforms--they look FABULOUS!!!

lack of respect for oversized FA's...oh please...i just don't respect someone who is overweight telling me what to eat...

sky high states: http://money.cnn.com/2006/06/02/technology...a0605/index.htm

There is no polite way to say this: Americans are fat, and they're getting fatter. More than 60 million Americans are obese, up from 23 million in 1980. Another 28 million are expected to join their ranks by 2013.

Take Tim Barry: The 55-year-old management consultant had no intention of launching a company, much less building a million-dollar business. He was just frustrated.

Fit of inspiration
Several years ago, as Barry boarded a plane in Boston bound for San Francisco, he heard flight attendants discussing how they would handle an especially sensitive problem with seating. At 6-foot-1 and 365 pounds, the stout Barry and several other heavyset passengers needed seatbelt extenders—standard equipment on most airplanes to accommodate larger customers.

But there weren't enough to go around, and Barry overheard the humiliating options being considered: They might ask the bigger passengers to squeeze into a standard belt, or, if they couldn't, boot them off the flight.

Crisis was averted after airline workers found some extra belt extenders inside the terminal. But Barry didn't want to ever be put in the same situation again. He decided he would buy his own seatbelt extenders and make them part of his travel kit, along with his noise-reduction headphones and Tom Clancy novels.

Barry hunted around the Web, in catalogs and travel magazines, and even at private airports. No luck. There was, it seemed to Barry, a nationwide shortage of airline seatbelt extenders on the retail market. It was then that Barry's frustration began to give way to the invigorating tingle that hits every business veteran at the first whiff of an entrepreneurial opportunity.

Barry first contacted the manufacturers that supply the airlines. Soon thereafter he began mapping out plans to launch a retail site, called Extend-Its.com, from a small warehouse near his home outside Vancouver, Wash., to provide seatbelt extenders directly to the abundant numbers of people who need them. To date, Barry has shipped more than 10,000 belt extenders at $60 to $70 a pop.

And the last time I checked you paid for transportation and not a bag of peanuts.
It amazes me how the media makes airlines out to be so evil for cutting food service on flights over the last few years. You don't get fed on Amtrak or Greyhound either! Sure, an airline ticket costs a lot more ..but airplanes are a tad more expensive than buses.

It amazes me how the media makes airlines out to be so evil for cutting food service on flights over the last few years. You don't get fed on Amtrak or Greyhound either! Sure, an airline ticket costs a lot more ..but airplanes are a tad more expensive than buses.

Perhaps you should do some research.

On Acela Express and Metroliner trains, you can enjoy First Class service. Amenities include:

Spacious seating configurations
At-seat attendant service
Complimentary meals and beverages (hot breakfast, lunch and dinner selections)
Access to ClubAcela lounges
At-seat standard AC electrical outlets
In-car Railfone

And, don't even compare what US offers in FC to what Amtrak does. And, on Amtrak trips you get a meal on a trip where US serves no meal on a trip of similar duration.

It's because we USED to have it all, and now we don't. It's hard to give up something nice once you have experienced it. If you've never had it (i.e. on Amtrak or Greyhound), then you wouldn't expect it...not missing a THANG!!

What are the Acela and Metroliners? Trains? Are they nationwide?

What are the Acela and Metroliners? Trains? Are they nationwide?

The Acela travels between DC-PHL-NY-BOS
Acela information

The Metroliner is a "slower" and older train but travels the same routes:

Metroliner Information

On other trains:

Most of Amtrak's long-distance trains include a full-service dining car, which serves hot meals prepared onboard for breakfast, lunch and dinner to both First Class and Coach Class passengers. All meals for First Class passengers are included in the price of their train ticket while coach class passengers may dine for an additional charge. Hours of operation of food-service cars vary depending on train operation.

Latest posts

Back