No More Peanuts

I've long thought that we raise too many "hot house" kids - just "country logic" with quite possibly no medical validity. But my reasoning is that kids need to be exposed to the environment more growing up. Not shielded from anything that may be harmful or medicated at the first sign of illness. Raising kids in too sterile an environment ill prepares them to face all the "bugs" that the world presents...Aside from both measles & chicken pox as a kid, and the occassional cold, I've never been sick a day in my nearly 60 years of life, nor have any allergies that I know of. Is there a connection? Don't know, but it makes sense to me.
Jim
Jim, as a matter of fact, there is medical validity. Why do you think so many Americans get sick as a dog everytime they set foot outside this country--i.e., the Curse of the Pharoahs, Montezuma's Revenge, Delhi Belly, the Katmandu Leap to the Loo? Because, we haven't been exposed to the bugs that exist all over the place--including in the U.S. I like your term, hothouse kids.

I grew up a city kid, but pretty much same thing. If you fell down and scraped your knee on the sidewalk, you got up, wiped off most of the dirt, and went on about your game/adventure/etc. And, for the next few days, entertained yourself when bored by picking at the scab to see if it had healed underneath yet. :lol:

Other than birth and having my tonsils out at age 12, I've never been in a hospital overnight. Beside my cholesterol medication (it's genetically and scarily high in my family unless medicated), a multi-vitamin, and 1000 mg. of Vitamin C a day, I take no pills. I had 5 sick days in March of this year for some oral surgery, but that was the first time I've called in sick since April, 2001.

And, I heal so quickly that the oral surgeon said that I have the metabolism of a 21 year old. Since I'm 61, I took that as a compliment. These young whippersnappers just can't keep up. :lol: :lol: :lol:

We have several customers that are loyal US fliers, and as some of you know, one in particular who must have all peanut products removed before flight. This customer is apparently well connected and spends copious amounts of the green stuff on dear ol' US.

People People People.

It is just a stupid peanut, if it was you or any of your family members effected you would feel the same.

Give accolades to the company for understanding things and being compassionate.

You did not hear of AIDS in the 70s, more people are being allergic to peanuts ever then before.

I have witnessed a small child almost die because of peanuts on a flight and I have been part of cleaning an airplane intensly because of the peanut ban due to a passenger having the allergy.

And the last time I checked you paid for transportation and not a bag of peanuts.

Comparing a peanut allergy to AIDS is way off. I get the point you were trying to make, but use some other ailment to make your point. Cat allergies, perfume allergies, whatever.

Here is what I don't understand. I have said this in other posts in the past and am just throwing this out there but why do we HAVE to give out anything in coach? If you take the Amtrak train you get nothing in the price of your ticket but VERY SLOW transportation from point A to point B. Are we not the same thing but happen to fly and travel at a greater speed on a resourse that we pay through the nose through? When you take Greyhound and stop along the interstate somewhere does the driver tell you that drinks and snacks inside are complimentary? I honestly think that the snack rotation in coach was a nice change but who honestly cares. YES the no name pretzels in the US bag are horrible but they are FREE!!!! Many working on the a/c could stand to be without the snacks. Just don't care. Get rid of it all.

With so many americans overweight we could do away with snacks and adv we are looking out for the health of our passengers. We could run movies on how to detect cancer or uplifting stories from DR Phil and Oprah about how weightloss has positively affected their life. Unfortunately, obese children are at high risk for many diseases and we wouldnt want to be sued(like Mickey D's) for contributing to adverse health conditions. Since US is looking for an identity, maybe we could be the HEALTHY airline!

well, they would probably need to start with some of your co-workers first

Terrible thing to say! Crewmembers don't have much of a choice to eat healthy when they are on/off planes all day! Airport food, hotel food, and fast food are the staples of life. There is no chance of hauling your kitchen along with you on a 4-day trip! BTW, aren't you the one who was complaining about not having food or a snack basket on your flights! B)

oh, i complain/whine about everything, so probably yes.

Just because I think they should have a snack basket and food on a flight doesn't mean that I eat it or that I am as hefty as some of your co-workers and my fellow pax. She said that you should be a Healthy Airline...well, that will be really funny if that speech is coming from some of your larger co-workers.

While crewmembers don't have the choice of eating the better foods for your body at all times it is more available now than it EVER was. And if there is nothing really available that is too healthy at least take it easy. I'm sure we have all seen crew members domestic and certainly transatlantic inhale a coach and a first meal. I'm sorry but in coach I say do away with ALL pretzels and peanuts. If you want a snack bring it. FUEL is high and we are all working under concessionary wages. Sorry.

Yeah, but I pay extra to have a bigger seat. OHHHHHHH MISSSSSSS, do you have an extra seat extension or are they being used by the crew??

We have several customers that are loyal US fliers, and as some of you know, one in particular who must have all peanut products removed before flight. This customer is apparently well connected and spends copious amounts of the green stuff on dear ol' US.
Give us a clue

Terrible thing to say! Crewmembers don't have much of a choice to eat healthy when they are on/off planes all day! Airport food, hotel food, and fast food are the staples of life. There is no chance of hauling your kitchen along with you on a 4-day trip! BTW, aren't you the one who was complaining about not having food or a snack basket on your flights! B)
I would never make fun of someone for being overweight but I can tell you those are just excuses. If you want to eat healthy you will find a way. Salads are common place and granola bars and fruit are plenty available. It is not that hard to watch what you eat but trying to get needed excercise can be hard when trvling. It can be done but its not easy. Just priorities IMHO.

Latest posts

Back