No Snacks Starting June 1st?

I don't know that's true. Seriously, I think the other legacy airlines would rather raise the rates by $1.00 than look really stupid to their customers.

Thats the problem here, US looks stupid to its customers, especially after Doug bragged that they are paying only $0.03 for the pretzels.

I don't know that's true. Seriously, I think the other legacy airlines would rather raise the rates by $1.00 than look really stupid to their customers.

On a side note, if you purchase first class on Amtrak regional, the beverages are free. you still have to get up and go to the snack car, nobody serves you, but the pepsi is still free. First on Acela is awesome. Hot towel service and a good meal :)
The problem is that the legacies cannot raise their fares with the capacity situation. Remember when US looked so stupid for the $25 bag rule? :lol:

OTOH I didn't spend $895.00 of my Company's money to get to MSP either. So I'm not sure how that equates.

Not sure but I think some Amtrak routes in the NE corridor do inieed offer a snack or beverage. Not sure if they charge for them or if they have a class of service differential.

As for cutting back, I do intend to cut back on my personal travel or send to another more customer friendly vendor which affects your job not mine. :angry:

Goodbye Piney!!!!!!!!

You have been threatening that for years........................ GO THEN ALREADY!!!!

While it certainly doesn't pain me to toss a bag of "tidbits" on a tray table I STILL don't understand why it MUST be included in the price. I just don't understand why airlines are held to a different standard as the train. There is a snack car on a train or a galley on an airplane. MANY times the airfare an airline is charging is within DOLLARS of what the train costs yet Amtrak gets govt money. I just DON'T get it. :rolleyes:

While it certainly doesn't pain me to toss a bag of "tidbits" on a tray table I STILL don't understand why it MUST be included in the price. I just don't understand why airlines are held to a different standard as the train. There is a snack car on a train or a galley on an airplane. MANY times the airfare an airline is charging is within DOLLARS of what the train costs yet Amtrak gets govt money. I just DON'T get it. :rolleyes:

The airlines aren't being held to a higher standard than the train. Your airline is being held to the same standard as competitors like Delta and Southwest, which do offer complimentary snack service (and Southwest offers a full beverage service even on its shortest flights). Amtrak gets government money (in part) because of the horrendously unprofitable long-distance routes which the government mandates it to operate.

Why is it that Amtrak doesn't get slack for not offering complimentary beverages and pretzels? I don't get it. Price of a advance ticket on WN or US PIT-PHL $48.00 -$52.00. Price of an advanced ticket on Amtrak PIT-PHL $45.00. I don't understand why everything must be included.

The only reason an advance purchase PHL-PIT ticket on US costs about $50 is because of WN. Before WN started flying that route, the average fare was over $250. PHL-BOS still costs (on average) nearly $230 each way. The average PHL-PHX fare on US is barely 5% more.

The problem is that the legacies cannot raise their fares with the capacity situation. Remember when US looked so stupid for the $25 bag rule? :lol:

The customers don't set the fares. The airlines set the fares and the customers choose whether or not to buy. The legacies can raise fares if they reduce their capacity and/or improve their product.

I think it should be telling that in April, CO increased capacity year-over-year and still posted RASM that was up by around 3%, while US in April cut capacity and still had a decline in RASM year-over-year. JetBlue also managed to increase RASM in April while also flying additional capacity. This all says to me that US is seeing higher-value traffic defect to ther carriers due to the product.

As unpopular as they may be, something needs to be done.

With Jet Fuel Quadrulped snice 2000 and still climbing airlines are headed for some MAJOR problems that cannot be ignored. We can all sit here and bash Tempe and anyone else, but costs need to be trimmed somewhere and ANYWHERE.

If one is going to b!tch and complain that they did not get their 6-8 pretzles then they have bigger issues.

Ticket prices MUST go up and cuts MUST happen where possible.

We all want to keep our jobs don't we?

Meanwhile WN offers free snacks and snack boxes, free cocktails for FF, pillows, blankets, leather seats in coach, free skycap, no change fee vs $150. With above attitude US won't be around much longer The attitiude should be to exceed the Kettles expectation. One other note calling your Customer Kettle's might be a sign there is an issue. Most airline employees would be Kettles if they were paying for their tickets

When the once-a-year flyers start paying rational fares, I’ll stop calling them Kettles.

A huge sign US is in trouble and out of touch.

Y'all need to get out of the planes and go to business 101

Why do you blame your customers taking advantage of a fare that you offer? When you purchase something on sale at a department store do you say please let me pay full retail? Do you think the sales clerk calls you a Kettle after the purchase? Name another industry that puts down a Customer for paying a price that is offered. See Art/ISP post above about fair fares. Again remember at the salary a typical airline employee makes they are a Kettle? When you purchase a fare on another airline (not nonreving) are you purchasing full fare or Kettle fare?

Why do you blame your customers taking advantage of a fare that you offer? Again remember at the salary a typical airline employee makes they are a Kettle? When you purchase a fare on another airline (not nonreving) are you purchasing full fare or Kettle fare?

Excellent point. I can't even afford a Kettle fare. HAHAHAHHA.....

Why do you blame your customers taking advantage of a fare that you offer? When you purchase something on sale at a department store do you say please let me pay full retail? Do you think the sales clerk calls you a Kettle after the purchase? Name another industry that puts down a Customer for paying a price that is offered. See Art/ISP post above about fair fares. Again remember at the salary a typical airline employee makes they are a Kettle? When you purchase a fare on another airline (not nonreving) are you purchasing full fare or Kettle fare?

Point taken. When I do fly for personal vacations on US or another airline (never non-rev for a vacation -- especially if you have to be there at a certain time) I do buy the ticket that provides the best value -- lowest price that meets my needs. However, all I expect for what I pay is to get there. I usually bring my own food and beverage, and a good book to read.

I'm sorry but with oil priced where it is today I just don't see why people feel that everything should be included in their low priced ticket. I agree that our FF's sitting in coach on high fares should not have to be nickel and dimed along with First class (if you wanna call it that :rolleyes: ). If the "kettles" as they are so comically called won't pay for fares that are higher they they need to be nickel and dimed for the services they DO want. As for the competition serving drinks, toilet paper games or whatever I just DON'T see why airlines in general are expected to serve a complimentary beverage when other MASS means of transportation are not. Again where fuel is today it should include a seat from point A to B for the "expedia" "travelocity" crowd. Period.

The way they calculate fares has been for many years absurd. It would take a crystal ball to figure out all the little in's and out's of it.

And I was under the impression that we were simplifying the fares until AWA got into the mix.

And then the whole thing flew out the window. What happened to that???

The way I look at it is.....charge the customer what you need to cover the costs plus some. No freebees. Unless you're a FF. Simple.

Fuel prices have gone through the roof. Raise the price of the tickets. Simple. People understand this. If they don't want to pay the price....they can drive.

The way they calculate fares has been for many years absurd. It would take a crystal ball to figure out all the little in's and out's of it.

And I was under the impression that we were simplifying the fares until AWA got into the mix.

And then the whole thing flew out the window. What happened to that???

The way I look at it is.....charge the customer what you need to cover the costs plus some. No freebees. Unless you're a FF. Simple.

Fuel prices have gone through the roof. Raise the price of the tickets. Simple. People understand this. If they don't want to pay the price....they can drive.

No they will fly your competition and you will be out of a job

Latest posts