PHL-LGW going to a 757 in Sept!

which reaffirms my point that virtually no one connects from a BA flt to AA in PHL, thus AA wanting to stay in Terminal A at PHL b/c of BA is likely not true
Yes, but BA customers earn BA miles across the Atlantic, as well BA miles when flying AA within the US. And you can still book a OneWorld itenerary with mixed BA/AA segments, which provides some benefit to the PHL AA/BA connection even if AA members can't earn AA miles on the TA portion.

With the recent news of the changing bilateral agreement changing, the BA/AA flights across the Atlantic will likely allow reciprocating earning potential.

even if AA members can't earn AA miles on the TA portion.
May be just my ignorance, but what does not codesharing on TA flights have to do with earning miles? Can't DM members, for example, earn miles on any *A flight even though it may not have a US flight number (codeshare)?

Jim

May be just my ignorance, but what does not codesharing on TA flights have to do with earning miles? Can't DM members, for example, earn miles on any *A flight even though it may not have a US flight number (codeshare)?

Jim
Correct Me if I am Wrong, but from what I understand AA and BA can not codeshare flights between US and UK. It goes back to the treaty that they want to do and Virgin and others opposed it. Virgin even went as far as painting their planes that had, "BA-AA No WAY!". I can't even use my Advantage Award Miles from the US to UK. Only from the UK and beyond. I have to fly PHL-ORD-LHR-MUC. The BA flight I could have done PHL-LHR if it was allowed. I can do it via Canada but not US. Plus I didn't want to connect in LHR anyway, so I am connecting at BRU. I am not familiar with the TA flight codeshares, but the AA-BA I remember that from a few years ago as they were trying to do, but now I know they can't cause I couldn't book via BA. The US to UK portion has to be on AA. It sucks cause now I have to fly west to go east. I could have gone up to JFK, but why make expenses when I can go from my home airport. Its a free day anyway. The time that I would have to leave to get to JFK is about the same time I leave for PHL.

Like I said, it may be my ignorance. A codeshare involves putting one partner's flight number (code) on a flight operated by another partner (shared flight number) - i.e. US flight XXX operated by UA. Earning/redeeming FF miles is a completely different agreement (I thought). DM members can earn/redeem miles on lots of *A carrier's flights that aren't codeshare flights.

Are you saying that there's something peculiar about the AA/BA arrangement that precludes earning/redeeming miles on non-codeshared flights, or at least those between the US & UK?

Jim

Are you saying that there's something peculiar about the AA/BA arrangement that precludes earning/redeeming miles on non-codeshared flights, or at least those between the US & UK

Yes, there is. AA members cannot earn AAdvantage miles on BA flights between the US and UK, likewise BA EC members cannot earn EC points on AA flights between the US and UK.

AA members can earn AA miles on any BA flight except those mentioned above and BA members can earn BA points on any AA flight except those mentioned above.

It is weird but it dates back a few years--my understanding is it was an antitrust thing of one form or another.

And Jim you are correct: DM members can earn miles on any Star carrier, regardless of codeshare.

Are you saying that there's something peculiar about the AA/BA arrangement that precludes earning/redeeming miles on non-codeshared flights, or at least those between the US & UK?
The restrictions are(among many things):
1.) No codesharing between US cities and UK for BA/AA
2.) No reciprocal earning of miles between those two carriers' customers on TA segments between US and UK.

The reason *A is different(where US passengers can earn Dividend Miles on a UA flight to LHR, for example) is because there isn't a British carrier in *A that flies from the US to LHR nonstop. Br. Midlands, if they get a LHR slot, would change that but then again the whole treaty is changing so it will be interesting if that earning/codeshare restriction that AA/BA have will carry over to UA/BM.

Well, I can go to bed tonight knowing that I learned something new today. Thanks for the answers.

Jim

just to clarify-
the restriction on AA/BA codesharing, FFP is between LON and the US and not from all of the UK.
AA codeshares on BA's MAN-JFK flight.

Latest posts