Pilipino Reservation Agents

SKY HIGH said:
sky HIGH states: Speaking of outsourcing.........there's an ugly RUMOR going around PHILLY that the "outsourced" cleaners are ROBBING THIS COMPANY BLIND.
[post="285088"][/post]​

Cant speak for PHL, but can tell you the outsourced guys in one station only lasted about a month. Seems things WERE leaving the plane every night (including liquor I've been told). We now have ramp agents on the overnight cleaning shift. That didnt take long.

dc3fanatic said:
so? reinvent yourself. Learn a new skill.
[post="285114"][/post]​

Sounds easy.

Assume you're a 40 something res agent with 20 years in.

Assume you did some foolish things along the way, like get married, buy a house, have 2.3 kids, etc.

Assume you did the Republican approved 'mom stays at home with the kids', so she was out of the workforce for 8 of your 20 years of marriage.

You've been conservative with your money, but boy, when the kids hit their teens, the cost of parenthood escalated, not to mention college.

In that scenario, money is tight.

Who's going to make ends meet during re-invention?

The folks I know in that scenario are cashing in their 401k's (there goes retirement; now they'll work 'til they die), or taking out second mortgages (have to work til you die to pay that off), and talking to their kids about community college (so much for generational upward mobility). And going bareback on insurance. All of this in a mad scramble to pay to upgrade their education (not much in the way of assistance;they made too much money to qualify).

In short, the destruction of the American Dream for many hard-working, honest folks.

Maybe, it's not so easy.

And the part that pisses me off; it'd be one thing if the GNP had been static or shrinking over the past decade - you can't squeeze blood out of a turnip.

But it hasn't. There is much MORE wealth in the country now, so we could afford to help workers transition from one skill set to another, if we had our priorities right.

After all, a strict interpretation of the Constitution instructs Congress to "...promote the general welfare."

AtlanticBeach said:
If your numbers are correct, then US is paying 80% more than the average income.  Sounds like middle class for that nation, not slavery.  I believe that your characterization of the country may be accurate for some remote rural villages, but not the norm for urban areas.  The comparison to US wages is apples to oranges.

That being said, my experience has been universally poor with non-domestic US agents.  When one considers the lost income to the company due to poor work, people taking their business elsewhere and the cost of domestic employees to correct errors, these low salaries may not be cost effective.
[post="285021"][/post]​

I heard from US Airways employees “boots on the ground thereâ€￾ that $180.00 a month is still below poverty level. I was told the families are so poor kids run around in nothing but t-shirts, and not because of the hot weather. They can't afford clothing. And you notice I said “corporate Americaâ€￾ is disgusting, not US Airways. When it comes to shipping American jobs overseas US Airways was one of the last onboard and once everyone else starts you follow or go out of business. I still think paying someone 1/15th what you were paying is taking advantage of the disadvantage. But then again all Americans care about is a cheap ticket.

According to Infotech, the average per capita income in the Phillipines in 2003 was 8,000 pesos per month. At an exchange rate of 55 pesos to the dollar, that is equal to $145 per month.

deltawatch said:
I heard from US Airways employees “boots on the ground thereâ€￾ that $180.00 a month is still below poverty level. I was told the families are so poor kids run around in nothing but t-shirts, and not because of the hot weather. They can't afford clothing. And you notice I said “corporate Americaâ€￾ is disgusting, not US Airways. When it comes to shipping American jobs overseas US Airways was one of the last onboard and once everyone else starts you follow or go out of business. I still think paying someone 1/15th what you were paying is taking advantage of the disadvantage. But then again all Americans care about is a cheap ticket.
[post="285175"][/post]​
Should you get the same pay for the same job regaradless of where you live? I'm not talking about Philippines and United States here, but how about New York (the city) vs. Ft Wayne, IN.

I would think you would expect a premium for living in New York because it would be more expensive to work and live there.

Do you feel cheated for getting paid less in Ft. Wayne than New York? Often the answer is 'no' because your pay is somewhat proportionate to the cost of living.

Have you ever heard that many ex-pats go live in the Philippines? One of the reasons is the fact that the cost of living is soo cheap that their pension/retirement/savings dollars will go much further and you get a higher standard of living.

PineyBob said:
Who was it that said "It can take a lifetime to earn and keep a customer, yet only a second to lose them"
[post="285192"][/post]​

PineyBob that quote was in a course the customer service agents took last month. Maybe some CEO's and VP's should take the course.

And dc3fanatic I wasn't saying they should be payed the same as those in PIT RES, but 1/15th ?????? :down:

Question ....... Could a better USAirways WEB site design and performance have reduced the offshore reservations outsourcing? Thoughts?

diogenes said:
Sounds easy.

Assume you're a 40 something res agent with 20 years in.

Assume you did some foolish things along the way, like get married, buy a house, have 2.3 kids, etc.

Assume you did the Republican approved 'mom stays at home with the kids', so she was out of the workforce for 8 of your 20 years of marriage.

You've been conservative with your money, but boy, when the kids hit their teens, the cost of parenthood escalated, not to mention college.

In that scenario, money is tight.

Who's going to make ends meet during re-invention?

The folks I know in that scenario are cashing in their 401k's (there goes retirement; now they'll work 'til they die), or taking out second mortgages (have to work til you die to pay that off), and talking to their kids about community college (so much for generational upward mobility). And going bareback on insurance. All of this in a mad scramble to pay to upgrade their education (not much in the way of assistance;they made too much money to qualify).

In short, the destruction of the American Dream for many hard-working, honest folks.

Maybe, it's not so easy.

And the part that pisses me off; it'd be one thing if the GNP had been static or shrinking over the past decade - you can't squeeze blood out of a turnip.

But it hasn't. There is much MORE wealth in the country now, so we could afford to help workers transition from one skill set to another, if we had our priorities right.

After all, a strict interpretation of the Constitution instructs Congress to "...promote the general welfare."
[post="285139"][/post]​

Dio,

Well said by you, as usual. B)

$180 USD at an exchange rate of 56 to 1, is for them a load of money, as compared to the other jobs in that country.

You have to understand the country, to realize what $180/month will do for them.

I don't support this decision, but it's only business, as Rakesh use to say

If you buy tickets through U's Philippine reservation agents does some of your money go to support terrorism? Just do a search on yahoo for Philippine terrorists and you will see they are very active there. Weird that a company that was so impacted by September 11th would go to a country that is not safe for Americans to travel to now because of the threat to Americans if they go there.

See link below:

Philippine terrorists

Now, pitguy, you are not supposed to notice that man behind the curtain.

Damn the security, man, full profits ahead!

And, in a 'fiction is a precursor to reality', read Alistair McLean's fictional account of Phillipino Muslim terrorists in 'Goodbye, California' - he wrote it some 25-30 years ago.

PineyBob said:
Then we have the "rework" cost. With rework you pay twice to process the same revenue and that is a huge cost. So now I have let's say a $1.25/hour person in Manilla botch a rez. Neverminding the customer aggravation for a second, the customer calls and has a TOS res agent redo the work. Now you add his/her labor + the Sabre charges + the Manilla labor cost. Have enough rework and you wipe out your cost advantage.
[post="285253"][/post]​

Or the cost of trying to figure out wtf they did (or didnt do) to a reservation.
Yes maam, 60000 miles to be gone from account, your seats are 2AB from Paris. Also FC from Philly home. No problem, bye bye.

Had this one this morning. Customer said almost 3 hours trying to get deals taken care of, 2 dropped calls, 2 times asking to speak to a supervisor because SHE COULDNT UNDERSTAND THE GUY and nothing accomplished. She was waitlisted in Envoy (even though he told her she was in 2AB) AND he didnt even bother to get them seats in coach! Now shes at the counter and pizzed at us (although she was very nice about it). I cant do anything for her, I dont know who she talked to or how in the world he told her she had seats when there wasnt even a seat request in history (not even for her coach seats!!, let alone Envoy.) I'm just glad she tried to get it straightened out before travel date. Can you imagine checking in at the airport thinking you are in Envoy and sorry, you have separate middle seats now. Now, how much did THIS one save the company, let alone how much business she'll take elsewhere cause of the screwups? :down: I really hope someone wakes up soon. Too bad there isnt a way to actually compute how much $ has gone out the window on straightening out the screwups.

Oh, and I was told by another agent yesterday she had 2 people with pets in a row that had bad info from Rez. 1 told her we dont/never have taken pets, she even asked her supervisor. 2nd one told her pets are free to travel on US according to rez. Two complete opposite stories (NEITHER ONE RIGHT!) :unsure: :rolleyes:

I spent 1 hour 20 mins(15 minutes talking to someone 1:05 on hold!!!) on the phone today correcting these morons incompetence. What a joke. I hope HP sees the light and fixes this fiasco!!!