POLL: The US Airways name?

Will a merger put an end to the US Airways name in 2010

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
OR.........you all could do your jobs to the best of your abilities, provide the best customer service you can with the resources alotted, maintain a positive attitude, try be industry leaders in performance benchmarks, and work every minute of every day like you are trying to save your job and all of your co-workers jobs.......

Let's put it in perspective...senior management will make millions whether or not you guys stand-alone or not...in fact, they will probably make more if they merge the carrier. The best way to prevent a merger is to make the airline as profitable as possible....profitablity leads to job stability leads to no golden parachute, leads to better negotiating position for union contracts.

Stop allowing yourself to be the joke of the industry....it's sad that a crappy carrier (AA) would view you as a last resort. Have some pride people. The current size and route structure of US can be extemely profitable. You don't need Attache or Glassware or cattle call boarding to have a well run airline. Just do your job to the best of your ability, and if that's not something your willing to do, please quit as there seem to be plenty of people willing to take your place.

Management should have paid me for that, but really it comes from a long-time passenger and a "numbers guy" who truly wants US to be around for the long term for a variety of selfish reasons.

Excellent Post! I totally agree with you on this.

With the new arrival of Ms Madeleine Gray as US Airways VP of business technology delivery... it seems like Sabre might be on its way back. This might be the start of several moves for an AA merger.

To address the topic title: Oh my yes - the name should have been left behind for something new as of the merger (the last one).
When the general public thinks of USAirways, what overall general summation comes to mind? Right! Nothing.
When the public thinks American: Big Airline, Shiny planes, professionals.
When the public thinks Southwest: Down-home, Honest, Reasonable, Comfortable.
When the public thinks United: World-wide service, first-class.
Again, USAirways: ?
Big? Small? Professional? Stuck-up? Full Service? No Service? Same-day (maybe) service?
The name/brand has been floundering for some time now, vacillating between a small international airline with a strong regional network, to a medium sized regional carrier that happens to fly a few international flights too.
Consequently, the traits that define the brand have become the consistent traits that have emerged, sans a coherent marketing message. Those traits are: late flights, lost baggage, and unreliable service, all at high prices (whether it is true or not).
My theory is this: there are only so many people in the USA. When they've all cycled through PHL once, it'll be time to change the name because no one will show up for THAT again. IMHO that time is drawing near.
Whether American, United, or "insert your name here" airlines, a defined product that the public can identify with will be a welcome change.
Cheers.

A medium sized regional carrier? US Airways is a HUGE Regional carrier.

US Airways carried more passengers than Lufthansa, Northwest Airlines, Air France and Continental Airlines in 2008. In 2008, US Airways came in 7th in the world for most passengers carried:

1.) Southwest
2.) American
3.) Delta Airlines
4.) United Airlines
5.) China southern Airlines
6.) Ryanair
7.) US Airways
8.) Lufthansa
9.) Air France
10.) Northwest Airlines

By fleet size, US Airways also is the 7th largest airline in the world for 2008:

1.) American Airlines
2.)Delta Airlines
3.)Southwest Airlines
4.)United Airlines
5.)Air France/KLM
6.)Continental Airlines 361 Aircraft
7.)US Airways 356 Aircraft
8.) Air Canada
9.) China Southern Airlines
10.)Skywest Airlines

By Destination numbers, US Airways is 4th largest in the world ahead of American, United, Lufthansa, and others;

1.) Delta Airlines
2.)Continental Airlines
3.)Northwest Airlines
4.)US Airways
5.)Lufthansa
6.)Air China
7.)Air France
8.)Skywest
9.)Turkish Airlines
10.)American airlines

So, US Airways obviously is not a "Medium sized regional carrier". US Airways is a LARGE carrier.....

CLT is the 24th busiest airport in the world by passenger movements ahead of Miami, Newark, and Minneapolis, Detroit, etc.

CLT is the 8th busiest airport in the world by traffic movements ahead of #14 Minneapolis and #15 Detroit, #18 JFK, Newark, MAD, LHR, Paris, etc.

US Airways is not some small airline. It's in the worlds top 10 airlines for passengers carried and for destinations served and for fleet size....

OR.........you all could do your jobs to the best of your abilities, provide the best customer service you can with the resources alotted, maintain a positive attitude, try be industry leaders in performance benchmarks, and work every minute of every day like you are trying to save your job and all of your co-workers jobs.......

Let's put it in perspective...senior management will make millions whether or not you guys stand-alone or not...in fact, they will probably make more if they merge the carrier. The best way to prevent a merger is to make the airline as profitable as possible....profitablity leads to job stability leads to no golden parachute, leads to better negotiating position for union contracts.

Stop allowing yourself to be the joke of the industry....it's sad that a crappy carrier (AA) would view you as a last resort. Have some pride people. The current size and route structure of US can be extemely profitable. You don't need Attache or Glassware or cattle call boarding to have a well run airline. Just do your job to the best of your ability, and if that's not something your willing to do, please quit as there seem to be plenty of people willing to take your place.

Management should have paid me for that, but really it comes from a long-time passenger and a "numbers guy" who truly wants US to be around for the long term for a variety of selfish reasons.
The entire industry is crapppy! The fewer the carriers the better. That's why UPS and FEDEX are profitable. My brother is a driver for UPS and makes 70k a year before overtime. Let's merge!

First off IMHO - I think most everyone that comes to work - comes to work with with the intention of giving 110%. Where the rub lies: you arrive at work only to find out someone else higher up the food chain didn't do their job because they have been playing "reinvent the wheel" weekly and no one really knows anymore what they are supposed to be doing...... except:

SHUT THE DOOR EARLY.

The reason US Airways is even still around IS because of the employees, the employees that went the extra mile and SACRIFICED when everyone counted us out.....even management. The employees at US Airways have risen like a vanquished boxer to beat their opponent time and time again in the 11th round when everyone counted them out "in the 10th". No belt at stake, or a world championship, just our jobs - which many used to consider careers. Not making excuses - but no wonder some employees are surly.
The wasn't the success of management, but the employees pulling together to save the airline and their job(s). That simple.

No matter what side of the fence you came from to join this party - the employees have pride in "THEIR" family. and if it weren't for the sacrifice would ALL would have gone the route of PAA, EAL and TWA a few years ago. The reason we are still here isn't because of our management - it's because we have something of value: our route structure and OUR EMPLOYEES. Even though management looks at us a liability - the employees are the greatest asset.

Couldn't have said it better. Your right - and they will continue to do so. These are "NUMBERS GUYS"..... not "AIRLINE GUYS" they don't care if they RUN a good airline or operation as long as they get paid and their "metrics improve" in a power point presentation. There is no career investment by any of our management team - How long have any of these guys even worked for the airline (east or west)? 10-12 years tops? Do the care one bit about the employees as long as they punch out with coin? Doubtful- Gordon Gecko 101. Unfortunately, that tone was set from the top a long time ago.

Maybe it's just me, but when the airline (or any thing) losses 800 millions dollars for the year, and is paying out 800 thousand dollars a day in interest on loans payments, and the executives still can rationalize and take millions in bonuses to reward their (non) performance there is some thing seriously wrong. Maybe we are adopting the auto makers business model and no one got the memo.

We have the employees, we have the routes, and if these bone heads would quit screwing around with the operation by REINVENTING THE WHEEL EVERY WEEK, we would no longer be the "joke of the industry" we proven that much. We can be "on-time" but if we suck - it doesn't matter. Sooner or later even the most dedicated and loyalist of employees ask themselves "Is all this sacrifice worth it?" I can tell you what the unequivocal response from management would be:

Keep working hard - your JOB (that your lucky to have) depends on it.
Yeah that's a great incentive and a real motivator..... FEAR. More like political party.

I too want US Airways to be around, also for selfish reasons, but I rather we had some competent "Airline Guy" at the helm who is ALSO a "numbers guy". You know what having numbers guys running an airline looks like: "a sub-par airline with positive trending metrics" or just look at our last annual report.

Please - Deliver unto us an airline guy.

Like I said, the employees all care about this airline we spend most of our life here, our livelihood depends on it, so we all want to see it succeed. We are willing to give 100% - (either in reality or in our imagination - we all try to do our part), So when is enough enough? If we give 110%, take more concessions, drink the"kool aid" do we get to keep our jobs? Or do we still lose when Dougie and friends get tired of playing airline and decides it time for TEAM TEMPE to go manage a hedge fund.

They merge or sell US to yet another regional airline (that are numbers guys), and "after great consideration has come to the decision that it is necessary to lay everyone off immediately".
The acquiring bus company will cite the reason "management was unable to come to an agreement with the airline's unions for the NECESSARY across the board 50% pay cut and had no other choice but to outsource the mainline jobs and sell the aircraft and routes.

Bye Bye US Airways and America West.

Think it can't happen - MIDWEST did too. :down:

It's time to get serious with these jokers. The West F/As were protesting in PHX today - maybe now they are also seeing "the emperor without his clothes on" and now too are getting tired of all lip service. :up:

You made some good points and we all should heed your advise - but again, I am asking at what cost do you continue to concede and sacrifice just to say you work for an airline.....even in this economy?

and if it weren't for the sacrifice would ALL would have gone the route of PAA, EAL and TWA a few years ago.

EAL went away because the employees were unwilling to help Lorenzo dismantle their airline. They chose their fate and sacrificed their livelihoods rather than be part of his reign of destruction.

Midwest too stood up and chose defending their profession, by refusing to undercut themselves, over the security of an ever-shrinking paycheck.

PAA was a victim of Lorenzo, but the employees of PAA and TWA were mostly along for the ride.

...........They merge or sell US to yet another regional airline (that are numbers guys), and "after great consideration has come to the decision that it is necessary to lay everyone off immediately".
The acquiring bus company will cite the reason "management was unable to come to an agreement with the airline's unions for the NECESSARY across the board 50% pay cut and had no other choice but to outsource the mainline jobs and sell the aircraft and routes.

Bye Bye US Airways and America West.

Think it can't happen - MIDWEST did too. :down:

It's time to get serious with these jokers. The West F/As were protesting in PHX today - maybe now they are also seeing "the emperor without his clothes on" and now too are getting tired of all lip service. :up:

You made some good points and we all should heed your advise - but again, I am asking at what cost do you continue to concede and sacrifice just to say you work for an airline.....even in this economy?

Great post.

Yes, these type of things happen all the time and it always seems to be the workers fault.

Not only at Midwest, it happened here too:
The workers fault.

Yes. But it is their particular history of shenanigans (actually their unions' shenanigans) has caused a change in federal law. They can no longer act the way they have previously.
To which "shenanigans" do you refer? The pilots' and flight attendants' unions at AA are independent unions which fulfilled their legal obligations and protected their members from the predations of the TWA pilots and F/As. The unions representing the TWA flight crews (and mechanic/ramp) were different unions altogether which waived their seniority protections. The mechanic/ramp employees went to binding arbitration where the arbitrator awarded TWA employees seniority in their bases of MCI and STL.

A prime example of a "shenanigan" is where two pilot groups IN THE SAME UNION, one from a very senior airline and the other from a very junior airline, agreed to a binding arbitration and when the arbitrator ruled against the unchanging DOH demands of the senior group, used their superior numbers to vote in a new union hoping it will nullify a decision they agreed to honor and instead impose their demand for DOH.

As far as a AA/US merger, it is not going to happen. US has nothing that AA needs. The only thing that US would give AA is an STD; like TWA did. AA (Arpey) has learned from the huge mistakes of the past (Carty's purchase of TWA assets with employees) and won't repeat them. US (like TWA) would be very costly to AA in terms of integrating the employees and bringing them up to our compensation levels and integrating their very incompatible fleet only to turn around and dispose of the US fleet and hubs thus leaving only the debt and US employees and their "you owe me" attitude (just like the TWA fleet, hub, mx base, and TW employees). AA should do with US what it did should have done with TWA; wait until it totally dies and then pick up the assets it wants with no planes and no people. They can use the numerous super 80s they parked in the desert to operate the former US routes and they can recall laid off AA employees and hire former US employees as off the street new hires at new hire pay and seniority. And if US does not fail and continues on as an independent airline, then more power to them. BUT NO MERGER!!!

A prime example of a "shenanigan" is where two pilot groups IN THE SAME UNION, one from a very senior airline and the other from a very junior airline, agreed to a binding arbitration and when the arbitrator ruled against the unchanging DOH demands of the senior group, used their superior numbers to vote in a new union hoping it will nullify a decision they agreed to honor and instead impose their demand for DOH.

As far as a AA/US merger, it is not going to happen. US has nothing that AA needs. The only thing that US would give AA is an STD; like TWA did. AA (Arpey) has learned from the huge mistakes of the past (Carty's purchase of TWA assets with employees) and won't repeat them. US (like TWA) would be very costly to AA in terms of integrating the employees and bringing them up to our compensation levels and integrating their very incompatible fleet only to turn around and dispose of the US fleet and hubs thus leaving only the debt and US employees and their "you owe me" attitude (just like the TWA fleet, hub, mx base, and TW employees). AA should do with US what it did should have done with TWA; wait until it totally dies and then pick up the assets it wants with no planes and no people. They can use the numerous super 80s they parked in the desert to operate the former US routes and they can recall laid off AA employees and hire former US employees as off the street new hires at new hire pay and seniority. And if US does not fail and continues on as an independent airline, then more power to them. BUT NO MERGER!!!

Spoken like a true "NUMBERS GUY" - call TEMPE I think they have a job for you....of course at new hire pay. :lol:

To which "shenanigans" do you refer?

I will grant that there are two sides to every story. And that ALPA sold the TWA pilots out in the vain hope that the APA would kiss and makeup with ALPA.

So, you have your opinion. That's fine.

Congress and the White House agreed with me, though. That's why the law regarding these mergers (in reaction to the TWA/AA mess) came to be.

I satisfied that my view prevailed. Enjoy yours as long as you like.

Folks,

This is NOT the thread in which to discuss labor issues. There are already threads for that.
Keep the discussion on the potential for the US name to go away, and its potential impact, but do not rehash issues already being discussed elsewhere.

Thank you.

trust me aafsc Us does not want to merge with AA.AA has flea`s after the TWA fiasco.US sounds better as an airline name they seem to care more than AA about people_and thats saying alot.Here is to US staying single. :up:

I finally got back from the future and nobody is going to believe this...

In the future when US is coming out of yet another Chapter 11, Southwest buys, er, ah, I mean merges with US AIRWAYS! And because the US name conjures images of success, profit, outstanding customer service, happy employees, Southwest has decided to become US Airways!

...then I woke up from this funny nightmare! :shock:

trust me aafsc Us does not want to merge with AA.AA has flea`s after the TWA fiasco.US sounds better as an airline name they seem to care more than AA about people_and thats saying alot.Here is to US staying single. :up:
You've got to be kidding, US cares more about people than AA? Perhaps you need your memory refreshed.

Regarding employees, US declared bankruptcy twice and raped their workers just as many times; much lower pay and benefits than AA pays their employees. Also, US took their employees' pensions and retiree medical- AA people still have theirs.

With respect to customers, US's premium passengers have abandoned that airline in droves due to the way they are treated by US management. AA's premium passengers continue to fly AA because AA management highly values their business. In fact, AA has picked up some of US's former elites.