Predepartue drinks in First Class

Fang

Feb 21, 2006
Just wondering, there has been many discussions about predepartue drinks in F, on AA. Some get them, some don"t. I was wondering why the difference on routes?

I have had some on flights and then do not. It seems like FA's do not want to do them. Is this normal?

I understand that when a M-80 boards it is usually very crowded. But when we sit at the gate for 10 to 15 minutes why do they not offer it? While this is not a big deal to me, it has created a lot of conversation on other boards.

Some on other boards say that because the pay is not until the door of the plane is closed the FA"s dont get paid they dont want to do this.

I have found in my flights that this is hit and miss. Some FA"s do this and some do not.

Just wondering as I was on a flight from STL to FLL and then from FLL to STL and not offered any. Is there a rule that you should do this or not?

On my last flight from FLL to STL, the person across the aisle asked for a Diet Coke and was told by the FA that he would get that when the plane was in the air.

On other flight STL to LAS and then STL to DFW I have been offered a drink.

Just wanting to know.

Whereas you will occasionally encounter a f/a who simply does not want to offer the pre-departure drinks, the primary reason for which the service is not done is usually related to late catering, pre-flight duties that take precedence, or a short taxi on the runway. The cockpit always tells the f/as if the taxi will be short so the f/as can prepare the cabin and take their seats.

F/as have requested countless times for passengers to be boarded at the second left door on, say, the 757 in order to facilitate the pre-departure service in business class. Some stations now use the 2L door, but it remains exceptional. So, to answer your question, there are several reasons for which pre-departures may or may not be offered, and it usually depends upon operational considerations (i.e., late catering, short taxi, etc.). And yes, of course, there will always be a f/a here or there who simply does not want to offer the drinks.

Art in Miami

I often wonder the same thing. While not hugely important to me, I think it's a simple way for the crew to class things up a bit. Especially when paying first class fares it's nice to have this little extra touch.

Its my experience that it is more often than not a lazy FA that cannot do a simple customer choice pre-departure beverage service. Late catering, use the inbound, short taxi doesn't matter, should be done before leaving the gate. After all we are required to be seated after the safety demo.

Its my experience that it is more often than not a lazy FA that cannot do a simple customer choice pre-departure beverage service. Late catering, use the inbound, short taxi doesn't matter, should be done before leaving the gate. After all we are required to be seated after the safety demo.
Mikey, you must be flying with some deadbeat crews! As for using inbound catering, it is often not possible due to melted ice and warm beer/wine. This is frequently the case in Miami. Also, it is a fact that short taxis can deter us from offering a pre-departure service. In New Orleans this past Thursday, we were catered as we were boarding and the cockpit told us we would have a very short taxi. By the time the line of passengers was out of the forward cabin, we were pushing back and had to do a manual safety demo (Super 80), so there truly was not enough time to offer drinks. I think you are being a bit hard on your colleagues by stating "it is more often than not a lazy FA that cannot do a simple [...] pre-departure beverage service." Of course, it is entirely possible you are flying with some really lazy crews. I have not seen this is Miami. The f/a who fails to do a pre-departure service simply because s/he does not feel like doing it is, in my experience, the exception to the rule.

Peace,
Art in Miami

Particularly on the S80, doing a predeparture beverage service and taking requests is almost guaranteed to slow down the boarding process, and there is nothing a lot of the agents would like better than to hang a delay on the f/as. I usually offer water and juice for predepartures, and rarely have a customer state they want an alcoholic beverage before takeoff. (When they do, if I have time I will get it, but it has been my experience that those are also the passengers who want to start and continue with doubles after takeoff.)

And, if I go out with a tray of water and juice, there is almost always someone in F/C waving a coat at me like they are going to die if they don't get rid of it that second. :lol:

I will find that most f/as will at least offer juice/h20 before push back..

There are many times its simply not feasible to accomplish a full pre departure but to blow off a pass thru the cabin with a tray of juice/water is unacceptable and yes...lazy..

I will find that most f/as will at least offer juice/h20 before push back..

There are many times its simply not feasible to accomplish a full pre departure but to blow off a pass thru the cabin with a tray of juice/water is unacceptable and yes...lazy..

Actually, there was a period there where water/juice was supposed to be the only predepartures. I guess I'll have to return the 300+ Applause certificates I have received as penance for my laziness. By the way, I only worked 5 days in March, only 2 of those in F/C, and I collected 12 Applause certificates. What are those Frequent Flyers thinking? I'll let them know that you don't approve of their judgement.

On my two flights with AA last month, they did predeparture drinks on both. Water or OJ on both, plus champagne offered on the flight to LHR. That's OK, but BA and CX actually ask what I want to drink...

When was that? I have only done it by choice except for bonded flights.

You fly International, don't you? It may not have applied to your operations. Within the past 12 months we got an HI6 that said that only water and juice was to be offered as pre-departures in F/C. They later rescinded that, but as I said before, on the S80 it is almost impossible to get a true pre-departure beverage service done and not hold up boarding--particularly since most #4s don't help in F/C during boarding. They tend to remain in the back of the a/c with the #2 until time to close the bins.

On international when boarding through 2L, I have always gotten a predeparture drink. I can understand that on a M-80 it can be very difficult, but for the FC passengers I really think that it should be done.

The FC passengers are either upgraded by status, using FF miles or paying at least twice if not three times the amount that Y passengers are paying.

I understand 100 % that the FA's are very busy and normally do a very good job. It is just a nice touch for people who are paying a lot for a seat.

[quote name='Nor'Easta' post='585309' date='Mar 24 2008, 04:05 PM']Maybe if AA gives us back our pay and everything else they took with HUGE INTEREST, you may get that pre-departure drink.[/quote]
That attitude will only drive the high fare pax to the competition. You should know how that will help restore your concessions.

:down: