Predepartue drinks in First Class

I thought they changed the procedure on pre-departures to juice and h2o if time permits. It's not like before when flight loads were determined by the season so there was more time and less people until now. f/c usually wasnt full and it was easy...now it's full 99 percent of the time and so is coach. I flew a trip where there were 29 people in coach and 16 (full) up front and there were upgrades that didn't even make up up front.

There's no clear cut reason. I'm talking domestic here and also, f/c on AFS only her 9 seats with 2 f/a's so there's usually more time and product since b/c has to to be catered before even boarding. Boarding from the forward door can be tricky. I do them when I can, but very hard taking individual requests since most flights are full without an extra f/a people are literally stopped through f/c and you HAVE to, for the most part, be catered in advance for that. It can also depend on the meal service. If it's a dinner/transcon, it takes time to count inventory of meals, accompaniments, plates, deserts, etc , set up the carts/inserts, do PA's, hang coats (and jimntx, I totally know what you mean), yet try to find even a space to make it into the aisle then pray you can swim back upstream to make it back to the galley knowing there are 10-15 more open seats to be filled that you have to get through. All in like 20 minutes, in time to get the cabin ready for push back. There's no guarantee you would have time to do 22 drinks after the door's closed and rather than get a select few, biggest complaints happen when people see others served and not them. If the flight is emptier and/or we board from the 2L door (which is a BIG difference), I can usually do it...OR I'll do a tray of juice/water (and sometimes champagne) although if someone wants something diffent they're more than welcome to ask. I rarely find no time to do a tray but it can happen if we are catered late and there's no juice/h2o left from the inbound. Of course there are lazy ones, but that's not always the reason.

[quote name='Nor'Easta' post='585574' date='Mar 25 2008, 09:28 AM']Its a way to send a message to management. Its sad that sometimes our customers suffer during times like these.[/quote]
That is a shortsighted and imbecilic attitude. You work in a service industry. Ever heard of the proverb about poisoning the well from which you drink?

Making customers suffer, drives them to the competition. Without high yield pax, there is diminished revenue. With diminished revenue, pay, benefits and jobs are cut

That is a shortsighted and imbecilic attitude. You work in a service industry. Ever heard of the proverb about poisoning the well from which you drink?

Making customers suffer, drives them to the competition. Without high yield pax, there is diminished revenue. With diminished revenue, pay, benefits and jobs are cut

Did you ever think that might the idea I'm hinting towards? Book-aways are the best thing to drive revenue down. Driving revenue down = no bone-ses for management!!

You who say we are just being lazy.....are............RIGHT!!!!!!

As a member of the union I have to take issue with the least of my brethren, sorry for throwing you all under the bus, but they are right about this one.

There is no reason not to walk into the aisle, ask them what they want to drink and then bring it to them. There is always time. The only exception maybe if the flight was catered after everyone had boarded. Then you offer it to them warm. Or walk out there and explain why you aren't offering it.
And NO, a tray of OJ and water does not count sorry!!!

I do them every flight, and I am the laziest person I know. If I can do it so can you.

Butch

[quote name='Nor'Easta' post='585732' date='Mar 25 2008, 03:57 PM']Book-aways are the best thing to drive revenue down. Driving revenue down = no bone-ses for management!![/quote]
Revenue down = you lose your job.

Why would anyone want to fly with you as a flight attendant? In case you have not heard, the customers always come first, especially those in the premium cabins.

As a member of the union I have to take issue with the least of my brethren, sorry for throwing you all under the bus, but they are right about this one.

There is no reason not to walk into the aisle, ask them what they want to drink and then bring it to them. There is always time. The only exception maybe if the flight was catered after everyone had boarded. Then you offer it to them warm. Or walk out there and explain why you aren't offering it.

I do them every flight, and I am the laziest person I know. If I can do it so can you.

Butch

I fly f/a always and I feel the offering of juice, h2o, or coffee is more than suficient before departure. If a flight is delayed, it is nice to be offered a drink but at most you have 20-30 minutes after boarding. If someone needs a drink in that short amt of time, they have more issues than the f/as can address. This isn't an issue of being lazy. Good service is more than throwing a drink at someone. A smile, "how are you today", and sincere interest in your pax goes much farther. It is all about the presentation... I have yet to feel slighted on an AA flight.

I also find it very hard to offer drinks on a s80. If I have the time, of course I will, but usually you are boarding until the last moment, catering is finishing up late etc...
On t/c's, It is hard to offer drinks with the set-up we have, passengers are trying to get to their seats, you are hanging up coats, and of couse trying to accomodate all of the carry-on luggage... If we would board from 2l, and passengers did not feel the need to carry-on EVERYTHING, it would be much easier. Until then OJ, H20 and Champagne will have to suffice.
I also collect those silly little papers by the dozens...(btw they are pretty useless to us except as a thank you). Mikey it is much easier to offer on INTL especially 77's.

[quote name='Nor'Easta' post='585574' date='Mar 25 2008, 11:28 AM']Its a way to send a message to management. Its sad that sometimes our customers suffer during times like these.[/quote]

The only message it sends is that you're a lazy malcontent. Those of us who fly a lot can tell the difference pretty easily, especially if we get the right level of service most of the time.

Butch

:lol: Right dude, try to walk right out, walk back to make the drink, walk back out to deliver and walk back to the galley on a full flight and do the required PAs, check catering set up and on a s80 do the PA for the safety demo without a number 3 so you're by yourself, which comprises of most of them these days and rush hour thru f/c is bumper to bumper. Apparently you don't fly for for us domestic since it's impossible on most flights. There's a reason why predepartures were changed to trays.

FYI

I Fly domestic.......

I Fly the S80.......

and i do it everytime.

and invariably.....when the #4 does make their way up to first to check the flight time, I hear...."oh wow, you do predepartures....i'm nominating you for a PFA".....they say it sarcastically......and I think to myself....no, no need to nominate me for anything for jsut doing my job.

Yes, NBCGM01, you are right noone needs a drink in that 20 minutes. but from my experience, they are much more appreciative of a drink, than a smile or a how is your day going?