Preliminary FA Recall Acceptance Numbers

kirkpatrick

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
Long Island, NY
It's not official, but here are the preliminary numbers from the recent recall of 460 FA's:

375 accepted recall

- 211 for 11/13 group
- 164 for 12/18 group

42 Declined

- 23 from 11/13 group
- 19 from 12/18 group

43 did not respond

- 26 from 11/13 group
- 17 from 12/18 group

If someone declines or does not respond, do they have a chance to be recalled a second time? Also, are the the returnees being trained on all aircraft?

If someone declines or does not respond, do they have a chance to be recalled a second time? Also, are the the returnees being trained on all aircraft?
There is no recall bypass option, although I think it would be beneficial to all to have one. Declining or not responding means forteiture of any future recall rights.

We're being trained on all versions of the MD80, 737, 757 and 767.

MK

There is no recall bypass option, although I think it would be beneficial to all to have one. Declining or not responding means forteiture of any future recall rights.

We're being trained on all versions of the MD80, 737, 757 and 767.

MK
Thanks for the information. Would it not be better for all involved if everyone was qualified on all aircraft? Is the extra cost for training really that much?

Would it not be better for all involved if everyone was qualified on all aircraft? Is the extra cost for training really that much?
The A300 and 777 are almost strictly international aircraft, and at our seniority we won't see them for a while. While there may be a stray leg on domestic every once in a while, I don't think it's worth their while to train us on those aircraft.

MK

Thanks for the information. Would it not be better for all involved if everyone was qualified on all aircraft? Is the extra cost for training really that much?

American Airlines doesn't like to qualify people on airplanes they may not fly. Don't really know why that is when you may have an opportunity to fly things out of base on reserve, but that's how we do it.

The planes people will qualify on will be the planes that are flown the most in the domestic market. The Airbus is flown only out of NY and Miami and it is mostly international with a little bit of domestic out of Miami. Nobody is going international or to Miami. The 777 is also not flown domestically except from Miami and Dallas.

American Airlines doesn't like to qualify people on airplanes they may not fly. Don't really know why that is when you may have an opportunity to fly things out of base on reserve, but that's how we do it.

The planes people will qualify on will be the planes that are flown the most in the domestic market. The Airbus is flown only out of NY and Miami and it is mostly international with a little bit of domestic out of Miami. Nobody is going international or to Miami. The 777 is also not flown domestically except from Miami and Dallas.

Also DFW and ORD. I think it turns the DEL trip.

Does anyone know if Sherry Cooper accepted? A returning furloughee from the last recall said she would not necessarily be welcomed back amongst her own ranks.

Does anyone know if Sherry Cooper accepted? A returning furloughee from the last recall said she would not necessarily be welcomed back amongst her own ranks.

One never knows until the last minute with Sherry. (and then we still are left guessing)
I wou;d think the reception would be less than friendly but then Sherry has a way of
landing on her feet. There will always be those who will fawn over her.

In fairness, I believe she is in the 2nd group, and I don't believe they have been able to sign up for
fingerprinting, medical and a class.

Too bad that doesn't apply to all the senior f/as who've dropped all their quals except 76 and 77, and don't fly those either. :lol:

As far as reserve opportunities...I've now been qualified on the 777 since May, 2005. (I got the class on a web ballot. I won't live long enough to trigger for 777. :shock: ) I haven't even had the opportunity to deadhead on a 777 so far.

As far as everyone being qualified on everything, I find it interesting that the company doesn't require it. They could combine domestic and international AND reduce the total reserve list and the total staffing needed. Allowing anyone to drop an a/c qual was not a good idea.

Too bad that doesn't apply to all the senior f/as who've dropped all their quals except 76 and 77, and don't fly those either. :lol:

As far as reserve opportunities...I've now been qualified on the 777 since May, 2005. (I got the class on a web ballot. I won't live long enough to trigger for 777. :shock: ) I haven't even had the opportunity to deadhead on a 777 so far.

As far as everyone being qualified on everything, I find it interesting that the company doesn't require it. They could combine domestic and international AND reduce the total reserve list and the total staffing needed. Allowing anyone to drop an a/c qual was not a good idea.

The reason they don't qualify us on every airplane is because it saves them money while adding the number of reserves may not. I think there is going to be a lot of discussion the next round of negotiations regarding combining domestic and international. There will be pros and cons depending on each flight attendants current situation.

I think there is going to be a lot of discussion the next round of negotiations regarding combining domestic and international.
Cross utilization was probably the major issue in TWA's strike against Icahn in '86. We were against it almost 100%, but it was imposed on us along with everything else.

The funny thing is, after a couple of years I don't know anyone who would have gone back to the old way. You could do MAD and stick in a turn or two, or fly domestic and pick up an occasional Paris or Rome just to keep life interesting. In STL before the furlough, I asked a supervisor why AA never proposed such a change, and she said the cost of training everyone and keeping everyone qualified would negate any cost benefits of having a single reserve pool, etc.

MK

It certainly worked far better than everyone predicted. From 100% diametrically opposed, after some time it went to 100% accepted and liked. The predictions of the rigid opposers that the world would come to an end turned out to be just a lot of hot air and without foundation.