Preliminary FA Recall Acceptance Numbers

Thanks for the information. Would it not be better for all involved if everyone was qualified on all aircraft? Is the extra cost for training really that much?

I'm in the first group and the first training class, 9/24 through 10/18. Bases should be assigned before the first class begins. I've requested LGA, and don't think I'll have any problem getting it with my seniority within both groups combined, which is how they're doing it. We go on line 11/13, so I'll probably grace Home Depot with my presence for a couple of weeks during the "dead time" between training and actually flying.

MK

Aren't you guys just furloughed?? So why is your recall training so long?? Its almost like going through initial training again. Shouln't it be a refresher course?? When I was recalled to my previous airline we did 6 aircraft in one week. That was good enough. Plus how much can it cost to train yo on the A300 and 777?? One day in the door room?? it sounds foolish not to train you on all even if your not based where the aircraft is.

Ohh by the way there are airlines with indefinate time for recall. Its kinda sad that you guys only have 5 years.

Aren't you guys just furloughed?? So why is your recall training so long?? Its almost like going through initial training again. Shouln't it be a refresher course??
When AA acquired TWA in April of 2001 we were operated as a separate airline for a time. Our aircraft had to be brought over to the AA operating certificate and crews retrained in AA procedures. Unfortunately, we were furloughed before all this could be accomplished. So we've (except for a handful trained in 2002) never really flown for AA or mixed with AA crews. It's like starting all over again.

I believe newhires at AA train for five or six weeks, so our recall training is abbreviated. They don't need to teach us to pour coffee, but the FAA has stricter requirements than before so the length of training is probably about right. Even airlines with only one or two aircraft types have at least a month of initial training.

Ohh by the way there are airlines with indefinate time for recall. Its kinda sad that you guys only have 5 years.
Recall rights is a contractual item. At TWA we had five year recall rights until the 1979 hires who were furloughed that same year dropped off the recall list in 1984. TWA at least offered them first right of hire in 1985 when they began hiring again. This led to the extension of our recall rights to seven years the next contract. I can't fault AA for having five year rights. They hadn't furloughed anyone in twenty years prior to 9/11, and it seemed to be sufficient time. However, times have changed, and I'd like to see at least seven year recall rights in the future.

MK

When will they start hiring off the street??????????

Careful -- I was referred to as a vulture when I asked this. :eek:

But, people seem to be in agreement that the last group *might* be recalled in the spring of 2008, meaning that AA may have to begin hiring next summer/fall from the streets. At the very latest, I would guess early 2009 might see some new hire classes.

Does anybody know the fleet plans for AA? Are you getting more aircraft in 2008 or 2009 that might accelerate FA recalls or FA hiring?

Not if it is done with an NPNR Letter of Agreement. It can be tailored specifically to those affected by the horrible events of 9-11. TWA had a 7 year recall and other airlines made acceptions because of 9-11. Industry standard is not something you want to be "flag waving" about because the Co could also say "wages", work rules, and benefits" all should be industry standard instead of industry leading. Also, other work groups on the property have either extended or unlimited recall. Unequal treatment of a predominately female workforce...hummm.
They are going to say that anyways about industry standard... They always say that around contract time but I dont see AA undoing what has been in place for a very long time..... It was cause so many law suits with other F/As who were let go because the 5 year mark. It would not be as simple as a Letter of agreement .Anyways that would be a whole different issue dealing with give backs and you know how people think of that. There is really no other option... it's too bad.

They are going to say that anyways about industry standard... They always say that around contract time but I dont see AA undoing what has been in place for a very long time..... It was cause so many law suits with other F/As who were let go because the 5 year mark. It would not be as simple as a Letter of agreement .Anyways that would be a whole different issue dealing with give backs and you know how people think of that. There is really no other option... it's too bad.

You're wrong....NPNR would handle it...

It's a company wide policy that has been in place prior to the aquisition and is industry standard.

Not so. A couple of "regional" airlines called US Airways and United Airlines have unlimited recall, I believe--US Airways, for sure. In fact, as long as there are people on the furlough list junior to you, you can even pass on a recall at US Airways. The only time you can not pass is if you are the most junior people on the list and they are clearing the list completely with the current recall.

Not so. A couple of "regional" airlines called US Airways and United Airlines have unlimited recall, I believe--US Airways, for sure. In fact, as long as there are people on the furlough list junior to you, you can even pass on a recall at US Airways. The only time you can not pass is if you are the most junior people on the list and they are clearing the list completely with the current recall.
I really dout that US and UA have unlimited recall rights.......
Anyways AA is not one to follow the others... This is how we do things and thats the way it is... You got 5 years..
I'm sure when AA starts to hire they will look at the furloughed F/As and go from there...
:))

I really dout that US and UA have unlimited recall rights.......
Anyways AA is not one to follow the others... This is how we do things and thats the way it is... You got 5 years..
I'm sure when AA starts to hire they will look at the furloughed F/As and go from there...
:))

That is precisely why you all get into "trouble". If you don't challenge things because "htey have always been done that way", how can you ever hope for change.

All AA has to do is ANNOUNCE the recall of all remaining furloughed by the end of Oct. They can schedule them well into next year. Attrition is high enough that it is a very real possibility. The other thing they could do to save time and money is a "paper" recall. We are getting to the folks that were not yet 50 at the time of the furlough. Many may want to retire rather than return. Why go to the expense and time of training these people to have them retire after repoting to base? So simple.

"We" didn't wave them...they were waived for us.
Just wondering why a lawsuit was never filed against the iam for waiving those rights? Nor, at least in the mechanics case, a lawsuit was never filed against the iam for not filing for a representational election. There was clearly enough iam members to twu members to warrant an election.

US and UA do in fact have unlimited recall rights. Also they don't STAPLE.
Well good for them... Here at AA, we do staple... if you dont like it... well thats the way it is...
My union did exactly what it was supose to do... protect my interests...

That is precisely why you all get into "trouble". If you don't challenge things because "htey have always been done that way", how can you ever hope for change.

All AA has to do is ANNOUNCE the recall of all remaining furloughed by the end of Oct. They can schedule them well into next year. Attrition is high enough that it is a very real possibility. The other thing they could do to save time and money is a "paper" recall. We are getting to the folks that were not yet 50 at the time of the furlough. Many may want to retire rather than return. Why go to the expense and time of training these people to have them retire after repoting to base? So simple.
I think its a cost issue... too costly to bring on senior pay f/as.... easier to hire for a third of the cost..

Back