Procedure for removing a pax from full flight

jerseyfinn

Senior
Mar 19, 2006
NJ USA
Visit site
Flyer talk has this thread about a situation in which a rev pax is almost bumped from a full flight because of a non-rev who is in his seat ( the former is removed from the plane & they actually push back before the teen's mom comes running up from the back of the cabin looking for her now disembarked son). The non-rev is taken off and the flight continues with mother and son.

I'm not seeking to criticize anyone here. There was a language barrier issue going on which adds to the confusion of a full flight trying to push back. But clearly something goes wrong here and I'm just curious as to what and how. What is all this non-rev stuff about and how does a non-rev get on the full flight and be told to take any seat he can find? I thought everyone has a boarding pass and tracing a problem begins here. Once again, the source is from Flyer Talk, and not my own personal experience.

Thanks

Barry

I would guess, without knowing the fact pattern, that the rev pax arrived very late to the gate and that non-revs had already been boarded. Based on past experience I would guess the rev pax had a hissy fit at the gate to the point of intimidating the gate agent and that the gate agent went looking for someone to take off the plane in order to get the rev pax away from the agent and his/her podium.

Right, because it is always the paying customer's fault.

Or, it might be exactly as hp_fa said. The clue is that the non-rev was told to take any available seat. If we are very close to scheduled departure time, and there are seats available for non-revs (or revenue standbys), we frequently board them without issuing a boarding pass rather than take the time. The computer is updated to show them on-board, but I may be in 7D and you are in 28E while the computer shows the reverse.

Otherwise the non-rev (or revenue standby) is always issued a boarding pass. I don't know about LCC, but at AA there is a policy that states that passengers (revenue and non-revenue) who fail to respond to a page 15 minutes before departure may have their seats released to standbys. In a number of stations, this information is posted at the gate podium.

What is all this non-rev stuff about and how does a non-rev get on the full flight and be told to take any seat he can find? I thought everyone has a boarding pass and tracing a problem begins here. Once again, the source is from Flyer Talk, and not my own personal experience.

Thanks

Barry
A nonrevenue passenger is an employee or an affiliated person who did not pay. On full flights, they are often told to take any open seat at the end. They try to be as discreet as possible and not make a fuss about anything so as to not lose flight priveledges. There obviously was a language problem and a comedy of errors but thankfully, all was squared away. What bothers me is the fact that pax were aware of who the air marshalls were and where they were sitting. I 'll assume that their lack or reaction was due to the fact that the plane was still at the gate with the front door open. Dunno.

What bothers me is the fact that pax were aware of who the air marshalls were and where they were sitting. I 'll assume that their lack or reaction was due to the fact that the plane was still at the gate with the front door open. Dunno.

Do you have any idea how easy it is to spot an air marshall?

I can pretty much guarantee that any VFF can do it without the manifest or anything else on mainline metal--look for the two guys in jackets (who don't remove them) who are onboard before anyone else. Look for a lack of facial hair. Younger and fit and are not drinking alcohol. Probably playing with a PDA.

Not rocket science, folks.

I can pretty much guarantee that any VFF can do it without the manifest or anything else on mainline metal--look for the two guys in jackets (who don't remove them) who are onboard before anyone else. Look for a lack of facial hair. Younger and fit and are not drinking alcohol. Probably playing with a PDA.

We can spot them a mile away too. Didn't know pax could as well, duh...

I hope I am not giving away to much, but my sister-in-law is a FAM and she doesn't quite fit your profile. No facial hair though.

She reads a ton, but no PDA.

Not only have I had marshals on-board wearing only slacks and polo shirts, you just described a number of my executive platinum passengers. :lol: Drinking the free booze on the airplane isn't considered quite as sophisticated as it once was. For that matter drinking period does not have the cache it once had. Too many people are into the fitness thing these days.

And, lord knows, a PDA doesn't distinguish anyone anymore. I saw a 12 year old the other day who had the latest version of the Treo. :shock: How in touch does a 12 year old need to be?

:down:
Right, because it is always the paying customer's fault.
:down: :down: :down: No its ALWAYS the airlines fault- fuel prices, weather , 9/11, employees who dont deserve to make a living daily wage. The list goes on and on. Lets remember it ALL ABOUT the passenger, they are NEVER wrong. Saints all of them and airline workers are pond scum! Ah the joys of airline travel- sophisticated, kind, caring, happy passengers. Ahhhh I SO miss flying...NOT!!!!!!!

Fortunate you not flying. Nothing has changed...

waa waa waa....if you're running late, I have a full flight, sa's boarded.case closed..I DO NOT PULL SA'S off,,,we get the available seat....FiniTO.

If you are LATE, YOU lose..

Buy Bye!

No discussion...

Dear Lord when are people like you going to finally quit. Thank GOD for the Reserves. It is nice to have a fresh blood around--people eager to work and people who know what customer service is about. And it is great to finally see the Reserves putting the Senior Mommas in their place--like Howard Stern says, NO MORE B/S.

Dear Lord when are people like you going to finally quit. Thank GOD for the Reserves. It is nice to have a fresh blood around--people eager to work and people who know what customer service is about. And it is great to finally see the Reserves putting the Senior Mommas in their place--like Howard Stern says, NO MORE B/S.

OK, I'm not sure I am understanding you. Are you saying that a customer arriving after the boarding cutoff time at the gate should be boarded and an already boarded standby should be kicked off the flight? Are you also inferring that reserves have something to do with this? (It's a gate agent's decision, not a FA's).

Can you please clairfy your position for me?