Procedure for removing a pax from full flight

. . . IMO, if the rev pax would have approached the GA with a better attitude, they would have been moved up front. . .

Yes, one's attitude and demeanor are indeed important. My mother always said that a smile will open lots of doors. She also said patience was a virtue. Together, one can get a lot accomplished in life.

Flying can sometimes times be tough enough as it is. We can indeed make it easier or worse by our own actions/words.

Barry

I would, but your food service is so minimal I am sure the only thing you could offer is the Velveeta you bring with you on your trips.

Hmmm, some FA's bring Cheez Whiz. Add some Ritz crackers and a ritzy meal awaits for that 9:17 layover at ORD where it takes 45 minutes minimum (usually about 1:15) to get to your room.

Or, it might be exactly as hp_fa said. The clue is that the non-rev was told to take any available seat. If we are very close to scheduled departure time, and there are seats available for non-revs (or revenue standbys), we frequently board them without issuing a boarding pass rather than take the time. The computer is updated to show them on-board, but I may be in 7D and you are in 28E while the computer shows the reverse.

Otherwise the non-rev (or revenue standby) is always issued a boarding pass. I don't know about LCC, but at AA there is a policy that states that passengers (revenue and non-revenue) who fail to respond to a page 15 minutes before departure may have their seats released to standbys. In a number of stations, this information is posted at the gate podium.

At USAirways, flights close out 10 minutes before departure. That is when the agents clear for standby and non-rev standby specifically on full flights where boardig passes are not initially given. However, there are deviations as in anything depending on the customer who must have been running to catch the flight.

Was that really necessary PB? Why should anyone apologize to golden1????????????????????

The subject reminds me of this story:
ARE YOU GAY?
(probable 'urban folktale' snipped)

This hoary old chestnut is still around??
I must've first heard this about 25 years ago--the airline involved at that time was PSA and the flight was departing (of course) SFO...

The station you are talking about has gate agents who are very very nice and helpful. I have had some situations there that they bailed me out of without hesitation or problems. One situation was entirely my fault and I didn't ask them to do anything special and they helped me out a lot. So, it is not surprising that they offered what they did to you. How was the hot meal on AA?

Does this make me a bad guy or a smart guy?

It makes you a smart and bad guy. :up: (Just kidding)

Actually, that was a good example of how to nicely offer up your seat, set your terms and then see them be exceeded. I can't tell from the post whether or not the GA knows you or not, but if he does know you and was aware of your travel habits it gave him a chance to reward you for your business and reasonable & generous offer to give up your seat.

Now, why is it Yield Management always grossly overbooks flights on the Friday of a holiday weekend, in this case an especially long one.

Actually you are totally correct. the point However, whatever what was lost in revwnue was gained in loyalty.

I agree that the agent did the right thing and helped earn loyalty, but Yield Management didn't. Think about what happens if folks can't agree to make alternative plans (I NEED TO BE ON THIS FLIGHT!!) and Yield Management has sold 190 seats on a 150 seat aircraft and 185 folks show up. In that case they haven't done anyone any favors, and possibly loused up 35 folks holiday weekend. Unlike the old days, other airlines are running very full and extra seats are much harder to find.

Glad it worked for ya Bob. Really!!