Reserves Getting No Contacts

FlightChic

Veteran
Feb 18, 2007
As you all know, we are on call 24/6. That means no break at all, especially for us really junior reserves. When we are sitting in the "hot seat" we don't know when to eat, sleep, take a shower, when we can go to the supermarket, take out the trash, or do anything else necessary to maintain out existence except sit by the computer and watch the screen. I keep hearing about reserves who are getting no contacts while they are in the shower, taking a sh!t, or doing any other normal daily activities. So, I propose to all reserves that we call scheduling before we jump in the shower. I don't know about you but even if I carry my cell phone in the bathroom with me I still may not hear it while the water is running, especially when I am belting out some tunes. Then, call them again before you blow dry your hair. A hair dryer can be really loud. Or what about if I need to take out the trash. Usually when I take it out, my hands are full and I don't have room to carry my cell phone in my hands and it won't fit in my skin tight jean's pocket. Now usually it takes two minutes tops to take it out, but what if I fall down the stairs and get hurt and can't get up and walk. If they call me I will be prone to getting a no contact. Or whatever if a car hits me in the parking lot. Again, it is a double whammy! Not only am I injured but I am also reprimanded! Even if I did have my phone with me I doubt I would be able to answer the phone if I were unconscious. Sometimes if I think I am going to get an early morning phone I like to go to bed early to make sure I get a good night's sleep so I am ready, willing, and able to work at 5am with a 90 minute notice. Maybe if I called scheduling and asked them if it is OK for me to go to bed and to let them know, they would know that I am sleeping. I could go on with many more examples but you all get my point. In any case, I want to be a good little flight attendant and make sure that scheduling knows what I am doing so I don't accidentally get a no contact if I don't hear the telephone or if I can't answer it. We should all flood scheduling and ask permission and/or let them know what we are doing, no matter how mundane the activity is, just as a courtesy to let them know what is going on. If EACH and EVERY flight attendant who is on call did this, we would get our point across! The company MUST put an end to being on call for 24 hours once and for all! We can't have any quality of life sitting around the crash pad in front of the computer waiting for a trip that might not come all day, every day for six days only to get a call at midnight once we are tucked snuggly in our beds sleeping soundly.

BTW, For those of you who don't think it is so bad, I was quick called this morning at 6:30, missed the trip by the time I woke up and called back since they gave it to someone else, and have been on call in the hot seat all day for quick calls, now I am number 4 for future since they stopped before they got to me, 1 for quick call, and 2 for daily. I've been up, showered, and ready to go since they called me early this morning.

Unfortunately, schedulers can not change your contract language. If you get a NCT, how about contacting your supervisor to get it removed. If there's a reasonable excuse, I'm sure your supervisor will have it removed. By the way, did it take you more than 15 minutes to wake up and call back? Just curious

Unfortunately, schedulers can not change your contract language. If you get a NCT, how about contacting your supervisor to get it removed. If there's a reasonable excuse, I'm sure your supervisor will have it removed. By the way, did it take you more than 15 minutes to wake up and call back? Just curious

No, I didn't get a no contact this morning but I have before because it was in the middle of the night and I didn't hear the phone ring. I just would rather be somewhat awake before talking to scheduling since they expect us to sleep with a pen and paper in hand. They get really testy when they call and we aren't alert or ready to write down the flight/pairing info. It's just crazy that we have to be on call 24 hours with no break at all. Maybe if we flood them with phone calls they would get the message.

No, I didn't get a no contact this morning but I have before because it was in the middle of the night and I didn't hear the phone ring. I just would rather be somewhat awake before talking to scheduling since they expect us to sleep with a pen and paper in hand. They get really testy when they call and we aren't alert or ready to write down the flight/pairing info. It's just crazy that we have to be on call 24 hours with no break at all. Maybe if we flood them with phone calls they would get the message.
Crews scheduling is just doing their job. You are on call for an operation that does actually run 24/7. Its just the way it goes. Your idea of calling them with stupid requests such as "may I take a shower?" is just plain ignorant and stupid.

flight chic- you said it--- this 24/6 cr@p has got to go. i am so sick of these senior bh's who were on reserve for 1 month in their career saying that "they paid their dues". please! the only people who have paid their dues, is anyone who was in a base that closed (west coast and pit), anyone from 1989 seniority who have teetered back and forth on reserve since they started and us "current" reserves who have no light at the end of the tunnel.

Crews scheduling is just doing their job. You are on call for an operation that does actually run 24/7. Its just the way it goes. Your idea of calling them with stupid requests such as "may I take a shower?" is just plain ignorant and stupid.

Awwwww, now where is your sense of humor? :lol:

flight chic- you said it--- this 24/6 cr@p has got to go. i am so sick of these senior bh's who were on reserve for 1 month in their career saying that "they paid their dues". please! the only people who have paid their dues, is anyone who was in a base that closed (west coast and pit), anyone from 1989 seniority who have teetered back and forth on reserve since they started and us "current" reserves who have no light at the end of the tunnel.

Exactly! You see people, for us reserves it is inhumane to be expected to work at the drop of a hat day or night! Besides, we have to start thinking outside the box a little. I mean, we have gone to the union about it but they can't/won't do anything. They company is saying they can't/won't do anything about it either. So, we just have to be a little creative and let them know we don't approve of this system. I've written letters and called the union, inflight, and the FAA but nothing ever comes of it. So it is time for us to try a different tactic to get our message across.

It's sad to see rsv vs b/h. The rsv system sucks, always has in the near 3 decades I've been here.

There are some ignorant blockholders out there that look down their noses at rsvs....and gate agents, and ramp workers....and just about anybody else they feel superior too. You know who they are, and they'll never change. But insinuating that all b/h's are the same, is the same as saying all f/a's are the same (i.e. the stereotypical stewardess of days gone by).

Your complaint should be focused on your union reps, not the b/h's. Your union should negotiate a seperate portion of the contract that only rsv's can vote on.

Not all b/h's are biotches.

In another thread somebody was complaining about b/h's working over 100 hours while rsvs cant get their time in. I understand the frustration from a rsv point of view, but you cant expect another f/a to pass up a trip when they need the money. You cant make a good arguement of "I need it more than some b/h" because that blockholder could have things going on in their lives that are causing them to be strapped for cash.

Bottom line, be angry at who caused the problem, or I should say be angry at who NEGOTIATED the problem.

Exactly! You see people, for us reserves it is inhumane to be expected to work at the drop of a hat day or night! Besides, we have to start thinking outside the box a little. I mean, we have gone to the union about it but they can't/won't do anything. They company is saying they can't/won't do anything about it either. So, we just have to be a little creative and let them know we don't approve of this system. I've written letters and called the union, inflight, and the FAA but nothing ever comes of it. So it is time for us to try a different tactic to get our message across.
If you want the 24 hour on duty to change, it has to be done through the FAA. Write Joe Conti, he is the one who made the ruling on the 24/7. If he gets enough lketters of concern, he will look into it. The company and the union won't do anything. They didn't want to do anything about the 24/7 rule until someone mentioned it to the FAA. Then they had to address it. I had brought it up to our union years ago. All I got was: "Your just a F/A, it doesn't peretain to you". Well, guess what, it does pertain to us. The union didn't want to address it, because they knew it would mean BH's would have a tougher time lowering their monthly obligation. But once the FAA got involved, they had to look like they cared. Imagine how many days you are owed due to flying illegal. Mine would be-18.5 years x 12 months =222 days or 7.4 months. Thats a hell of alot of our union not looking out for a rsv. Maybe I should be credited with 7.4 months of union dues?

In another thread somebody was complaining about b/h's working over 100 hours while rsvs cant get their time in. I understand the frustration from a rsv point of view, but you cant expect another f/a to pass up a trip when they need the money. You cant make a good arguement of "I need it more than some b/h" because that blockholder could have things going on in their lives that are causing them to be strapped for cash.
Bottom line is Over flying is overflying. If someone overflys, take the money from them and put it in a rsv pool, to be distrubuted at the end of each month. Or suspend the BH or make them serve a month on rsv.

Once again, this is turning into another BH vs. RSV thread which was not my intention at all. :down:
Hula-flyguy I responded before I saw the rest of the posts. My bad.

You're right. They should be suspended for violating the contract. I forgot there was language governing that.

And Flight Chic, I was not saying YOU. I was generalizing. I dont see anywhere in my post where I accused you of anything. However, if you'll scroll through the thread, you'll find this......

i am so sick of these senior bh's who were on reserve for 1 month in their career saying that "they paid their dues".

My point was about making blanket statements....it was not pointed at you or anyone else in this thread. I was merely addressing an observation.

Bottom line is Over flying is overflying. If someone overflys, take the money from them and put it in a rsv pool, to be distrubuted at the end of each month. Or suspend the BH or make them serve a month on rsv.

The union won't let the company discipline a BH for overflying. The union thinks an overflying letter is sufficient discipline and when a supervisor tries to discipline a BH for overflying besides giving out a silly letter that just goes into the garbage can the union get's their panties in a wad and comes storming in and won't let them do anything to the blockholder.

Before there were cell phones a reserve WOULD have to call scheduling to get permission to take a shower.
Daily life is ruled by the possibility of missing a call from scheduling. No vacuuming, running water or the other things mentioned by the OP.

I don't buy that the union can't do anything about it. It's about priorities in negotiations. From the latest elines East and West, both addressed the need to change the reserve system. Every reserve needs to address their local representatives and the MEC to assert what is important to you. Shifts? Partial lines? Longer call out? Seniority based system? Bid sheet eliminated? Rotating reserve? Higher guarantee? Full pay and credit for DH and sick? ETC ETC ETC

Send emails, make phone calls, go to meetings and make your presence known. Be polite but insistent. Your responses get eye rolls, shrugs or other dismissive gestures? Call them on it. Don't like your leadership? Change it.
If you think you have something to contribute to improve our lot---get involved.

I think USAirways reserves should be proud of themselves for bringing the inequalities to the forefront. Our best ally right now is the West reserves and their negotiators. Sign up for their e-lines and send them emails too.

If every reserve did even one of these things we could really be a formidable group.

Call me Pollyanna but I believe change is probable but only if we work together.