Crew Schedule Frustrations

and Straaight talk.

keep on dpoing what you are doing to Garfield. It is funny. He is so easy to piss off and get into a arguement. We do it at work all the time.

Jim,

Do you know anything about this? I am at home and don't have access to a contract.

"if you are based at a base that has more than one airport, you only have to be within 2 hours of one of them. "

Thanks,

Garfield,
I may have to eat crow here, but apparently this 2 hour rule goes back to the 60's.
I just spoke to the APFA and apparently if you are given a callout that you cannot make it to, you must try, get to the airport, call crew schedule and accept the TM. Tell them if you want to protect your guarantee or not. Then call the union. If you made a goodwill effort 99% of the time it is removed and the guarantee is restored.

My question to you is, if the f/a told you she was unable to make it, why make a bad situation worse? She could of probably made IAD or DCA. Again it is nthe company culture us against them.

AAStew said:
Garfield,
I may have to eat crow here, but apparently this 2 hour rule goes back to the 60's.
I just spoke to the APFA and apparently if you are given a callout that you cannot make it to, you must try, get to the airport, call crew schedule and accept the TM. Tell them if you want to protect your guarantee or not. Then call the union. If you made a goodwill effort 99% of the time it is removed and the guarantee is restored.

My question to you is, if the f/a told you she was unable to make it, why make a bad situation worse? She could of probably made IAD or DCA. Again it is nthe company culture us against them.
[post="246923"][/post]​
Stew,

I agree with you. If the flight attendant told me they could not make it and it would be much easier to call the next reserve closer to BWI than I would If I was allowed. It doesnt work that way. Beause what happens if the next person cant make it because they are to far and so on and so on and so on. If I allow one person to talk me out of giving him or her a legal asignment than i have to allow everyone. It is a very impersonal job and we do not win any friendships when we control your schedule. But it is something we have to do. We would all like to give you 3 -4 or maybe all day to make your assignment.

Some trips open due to an equipment swap that dispatch sits on all day. (crew Sched has no control over that) Mis connects happen during the day due to weather or maintenance (crew sched has no control over that) and Some people just plain call in sick at the two hour mark before a trip. (crew sched has no control over that) All we do is pass the trip along to the next avbl reserve in GTD order when we get them. I wish it could be easier but it isnt.

If you get the miss trip removed I am glad someone has the ability and is allowed to make that judgement. Because per the union and management crew schedulers are not allowed to make that decision

Operaations,
I realize that you guys go thru alot of crap also. I have actually sat in for a few hours and seen it first hand. But just like there are those of us who don't give a #### who we screw when we call in at the last minute, I have seen schedulars who are on a major power trip. Fortunately, I haven't had to deal with any of those for a while. I am JFK based and so far have had pretty decent schedulars. ANd for the record I have 2 TM's on my record. One was for a RA I refused about 10 years ago, the other was for an Eagle commuter nightmare in 2002. :shock:

AAStew said:
Operaations,
I realize that you guys go thru alot of crap also. I have actually sat in for a few hours and seen it first hand. But just like there are those of us who don't give a #### who we screw when we call in at the last minute, I have seen schedulars who are on a major power trip. Fortunately, I haven't had to deal with any of those for a while. I am JFK based and so far have had pretty decent schedulars. ANd for the record I have 2 TM's on my record. One was for a RA I refused about 10 years ago, the other was for an Eagle commuter nightmare in 2002. :shock:
[post="246940"][/post]​
Stew you are right there are some that have a Major power trip complex going on. And trust me thos people are tortured people that actually have problems outside of work also. They have issues and they are the first to be let go when the axe falls here. For some reason it is really hard to fire anyone these days. What thos schedulers donot realize it they should not care for what they can not control. That is my attitude in life and it is working so far.

JFK based huh. That is a base i do not work.. You guys threw one hell of a party for John Finnegan a few years back.. I hear it was a sight to be seen.

That was one of the kindest things I have ever heard of a work group doing for on single individual

operaations said:
You guys threw one hell of a party for John Finnegan a few years back.. I hear it was a sight to be seen.
[post="246942"][/post]​
Ah.....that's a blast from the past!

I wonder what he did with his yoda doll? Rembember when he used to warm up his sandwich on the old phone monitor? :lol: priceless!!!

Garfield1966 said:
Jim,

Do you know anything about this? I am at home and don't have access to a contract.

"if you are based at a base that has more than one airport, you only have to be within 2 hours of one of them. "

Thanks,
[post="246888"][/post]​
I am at the crash pad in STL until the 15th. Will look for the reference when I get back to Dallas. My contract is at home.

Latest posts