The Final Nail In The Coffin Of Usairways?

Feb 23, 2003
As a union member and employee for many years I wonder is this the nail in the coffin of USAirways? Ok, lets all agree that management throughout many years has made many mistakes and blunders. We were not ready for deregulation and did not react properly to market forces but the fact remains that when it was obvious to everyone that the unions had to sit down with management and reduce the CSM (cost per seat mile) to an acceptable level we took years to do it. It was right there in front of us. Ok, each union leader has a responsibility to their members to get the best deal they can, but constant fighting and bickering through years of losses can never get the best deal because the tremendous losses eventually affect what the company can finally agree to. But that is history.

Finally when the last chance to make a few measly dollars (the Christmas season) rolled around our AFA leadership is nowhere to be found and neither are those that represent the Utility workers and Ramp Agents in PHL. Oh we hear from Teddy with her constant rant about how this is Management’s fault. Gee, they should have staffed for this. They always get increased sick calls over the holidays.

Well if this is not sanctioning these additional calls then what is. Statistically people do not get more sick on a particular holiday and less sick at other times across the nation. They just get less inclined to report for work when they are scheduled. Union leadership should have been in there trying to alleviate the problem by getting the word out to their members to get to work if at all possible. Additionally they should have been flying themselves, and the same goes for the other offending Unions.

First, abuse of sick time is morally wrong and is also a crime. Yes it is a criminal offense to take a day or several days wages when one is not sick. Doing it at the expense of our customers is inexcusable and will likely not ever be forgotten by them. And doing it at a time that it might lead to the Company’s demise is also reprehensible to the other employees that are doing their job, and to the stockholders.

Well maybe bad management made us weak prior to 9-11, and the 9-11 terrorists really hurt us and the entire industry badly but the final nail in the coffin may be our own employees that were not sick and just decided they didn’t want to work. I think they are the real terrorists. Any union official that doesn’t understand this is a far worse leader than any of the people in management that they constantly criticize.

Cite the statute that criminalizes calling in sick for work in a commerical enterprise.

"I think they are the real terrorists."

That's really over the top, and truely dispicable to make a comparison to someone taking sick leave to people who are mass murderers.

Spoken like a person that is happy to throw anybody junior to them overboard for their own self-interest.

Winglet said:
Cite the statute that criminalizes calling in sick for work in a commerical enterprise.

[post="232469"][/post]​
Oh, taking a days wage from an employer when you are not sick is OK. Look at the statutes that determine a dollar amount where theft becomes criminal. I'm not talking about those that are actually sick. Are you other 764 posts just as stupid as this one of yours? I guess you think benefits are something that are yours to use as you see fit and not applicable to any rules. WTF is wrong with you?

Winglet said:
Spoken like a person that is happy to throw anybody junior to them overboard for their own self-interest.
[post="232469"][/post]​
No! Spoken like one that would throw you off the lifeboat if you are not worth saving and just pulling the rest of us down.

700UW said:
Utility in PHL did not stage a sickout.
[post="232488"][/post]​

I didn't say they did. I simply said that obviously people have callled in sick that were not. Analyze it statistically and prove that all these people were really sick. The numbers speak for themselves. My reference to sanctioning it is about someone trying to put the blame on management and thinking it is justified because it just happens over the holidays. You don't have to organize it or orchastrate it to sanction it.

And just to clarify for the other reply. Stealing the equivallent money from the company safe is criminal. They just don't prosecute over sick calls because you can't prove it but that does not change what it is. It is theft just the same.

Maybe Lakefield should summarily terminate any ramper in PHL that called in sick that day . . . . . and let the corporate hired guns fight it out with the unions and in civil court when the terminated individuals sue for wrongful termination.

Long before it can get to court, however, there won't be any US Airways.

It's sad that it's come to this. The direction of this company could have been redirected years ago by a competent and honest CEO.

[
the final nail in the coffin may be our own employees that were not sick and just decided they didn’t want to work.

The airline was already in big trouble.

Some employees decided to throw gasoline on those smoldering embers.

Now you have a 5 alarm blaze.

Your union representatives were voted in by YOU.

There are few small family owned grocers ,toy shops, hardware stores,etc left.

The WalMarts took over.

It is now happening in the airline industry. It CANNOT be changed.

When the majority of the employees don't even speak English and can't read, and planes start crashing, then you may be regulated again. And hired by another airline, if you're still young enough.

But not for a while.
You complain of no respect from the corporate offices.. After Christmas , you have no respect from your passengers either.

There is no store in your local mall called Respect 'R Us, where you can buy some..

Where do you plan to get respect now? Where will you find someone who cares, other than another employee?

Every TV station in this country is ripping US a new one. They are all on onto the real reason this debacle happened. Blaming it on the weather did not wash.

All the leisure Christmas travelers have mouths and vocal chords. They will be used.

I've seen numerous posters thinking a cheap sale will bring those people back. It will NOT happen. Another airline will nip that in the bud. The news photos of the lines and baggage will not be forgotten. At least not soon enough to help.

The Star Alliance is probably fed up.

I assume your corporate clients are scrambling as we speak to make other arrangements, and new rules as to carriers to be used and carriers to be avoided.

Grandma and Grandpa are one thing.

Business meetings with fortunes involved do not go well when attendees are standing at broken kiosks or a 90 foot line of irate passengers at the counter, and that little plane thingy departs without them , if it departs at all.

We all know how much excess time those business travelers leave between arrival at the airport and scheduled departure time.

And let me assure you, when that passenger was a biggie and that meeting was a biggie , they can do some serious screaming hell-raising to corporate about which airlines get flown.

I can't speak for the leisure travelers. Seems they're doing a good enough job for themselves on TV anyway.

You have LOST THEM!

It's the business travelers . They were your paycheck. I think WERE may be the keyword.

And the FEDS are taking a look.

What chance is left that the judge won't just close it up for good?

God bless all employees who worked hard and long.

But US has been on life support in the last few days. Everyone is now ready to yank the plug.

It's my opinion that it will not exist by Valentine's day. If you choose to flame me, think twice and call some old BN, PA, WA, or EA ex employees for their opinion.

Or just do a Google search--defunct airlines.

But beware. The main response carries their hundreds of logos, and takes forever to load.

It is SO OVER, guys and gals.

Get out fast.

And best wishes to those of you who were honorable employees for so many years. You didn't deserve this.

But you do have it.

Get other jobs before your cities are drowning in unemployed.

And I hope you kick the butts of your fellow employees who condoned this, on your way out.

You're about to find that unemployment is going to last so much longer than you think..

Winglet said:
Maybe Lakefield should summarily terminate any ramper in PHL that called in sick that day . . . . . and let the corporate hired guns fight it out with the unions and in civil court when the terminated individuals sue for wrongful termination.

Long before it can get to court, however, there won't be any US Airways.

It's sad that it's come to this. The direction of this company could have been redirected years ago by a competent and honest CEO.
[post="232505"][/post]​
It has come to this for ONE REASON and ONE REASON only. PISS POOR MANAGEMENT! Any company that goes after the hired help with the tenacity that these guys have, and apparently expect no repercussions, deserves to go out of business. Just shows that investment bankers (Bronner and gang) know NOTHING about running a business, especially one as complex as an airline!

35 Yrs and Counting said:
It is theft just the same.

[post="232504"][/post]​
Yea theft, just like what USAir is doing to the workers of the Commercial Aviation industry. Why are so many people afraid to put this nightmare to rest? Is it the same reason that battered spouses return to their abusers or never leave at all?

I didn't say they did. I simply said that obviously people have callled in sick that were not. Analyze it statistically and prove that all these people were really sick. The numbers speak for themselves. My reference to sanctioning it is about someone trying to put the blame on management and thinking it is justified because it just happens over the holidays. You don't have to organize it or orchastrate it to sanction it.

And just to clarify for the other reply. Stealing the equivallent money from the company safe is criminal. They just don't prosecute over sick calls because you can't prove it but that does not change what it is. It is theft just the same.
[post="232504"][/post]​

Analyze this Pal:

You have NO idea whether people were sick or not unless you're psychic.

The numbers do speak for themselves. They are saying employees have had it up to here with the crap being shoveled down their throats making them gag.

Blaming management is as it should be and justified is the wrong term with "expectedâ€￾ being the correct term, especially when considering the fact they are human and can take only so much horse s-h-i-t.

Sanction you say! One doesn't need authoritative permission to be pissed at being abused and lied to.

Stealing you say....so coming on the property for mere months and walking away with millions upon millions while people suffer in your wake is "OK" and NOT wrong, NOT stealing...Hmmmm?

Theft you say… this has been happening at the upper levels of this company with the
BOD awarding millions of dollars to undeserving people and at the same time raping it's employees.

Come down from your cloud and stop playing God and let God decide who is right and who is wrong in this mess that you feel is all the employees fault...PAL

Curt

Many employees have already decided that their days at UAIR are just about through and wanted to spend the holidays with their families. With what they've been through over the last couple of years who can blame them? Your argument about theft is STUPID, and I would place a large wager that it would be LAUGHED OUT OF COURT. Sick leave is an EARNED BENEFIT, and unless a doctor's note is required by the company there is little they can do to prevent people from using it. Mental and emotional health are issues as well as physical, and often can be more debilitating. Every doctor I've ever been to and discussed this with recognizes it. What's done is done, and UAIR is definitely done! If I were an employee, I'd be using sick time to go to job interviews! That would be a good use of EARNED BENEFITS!

As a union member and employee for many years I wonder is this the nail in the coffin of USAirways? Ok, lets all agree that management throughout many years has made many mistakes and blunders. We were not ready for deregulation and did not react properly to market forces but the fact remains that when it was obvious to everyone that the unions had to sit down with management and reduce the CSM (cost per seat mile) to an acceptable level we took years to do it. It was right there in front of us. Ok, each union leader has a responsibility to their members to get the best deal they can, but constant fighting and bickering through years of losses can never get the best deal because the tremendous losses eventually affect what the company can finally agree to. But that is history.

Finally when the last chance to make a few measly dollars (the Christmas season) rolled around our AFA leadership is nowhere to be found and neither are those that represent the Utility workers and Ramp Agents in PHL. Oh we hear from Teddy with her constant rant about how this is Management’s fault. Gee, they should have staffed for this. They always get increased sick calls over the holidays.

Well if this is not sanctioning these additional calls then what is. Statistically people do not get more sick on a particular holiday and less sick at other times across the nation. They just get less inclined to report for work when they are scheduled. Union leadership should have been in there trying to alleviate the problem by getting the word out to their members to get to work if at all possible. Additionally they should have been flying themselves, and the same goes for the other offending Unions.

First, abuse of sick time is morally wrong and is also a crime. Yes it is a criminal offense to take a day or several days wages when one is not sick. Doing it at the expense of our customers is inexcusable and will likely not ever be forgotten by them. And doing it at a time that it might lead to the Company’s demise is also reprehensible to the other employees that are doing their job, and to the stockholders.

Well maybe bad management made us weak prior to 9-11, and the 9-11 terrorists really hurt us and the entire industry badly but the final nail in the coffin may be our own employees that were not sick and just decided they didn’t want to work. I think they are the real terrorists. Any union official that doesn’t understand this is a far worse leader than any of the people in management that they constantly criticize.
[post="232460"][/post]​

Hey 35 years and counting,

You obviously are clueless and never signed up for union elines. PIT 40 Pres sent out a message to the f/as on Dec 23 to make themselves available she had discussions with crew scheduling on the weather delays and sick calls.

The leadership was in the crew rooms on xmas eve...ALL DAY INTO THE EVENING.

Latest posts