Third Circuit Ruling

Unions have nothing to do with it. Can you explain why the first Airbus came back in such a poor state? There truly can be no excuse. Why would the company use the same vendor?

--I respect the work Delta Mechanics do.

pitguy said:
Unions have nothing to do with it. Can you explain why the first Airbus came back in such a poor state? There truly can be no excuse. Why would the company use the same vendor?

Yes it does. A whole lot actually.

And PitGuy, are you saying that every airplane that comes out of our hangars are never in need of adjustments or returns to the hangar for additonal repair / adjustments? While I am not making light of the issues with 700, there have been issues with work that comes out of our own hangars too.

pitguy said:

Donno. But, I remember a flight I was going to have last year from PHL to TPA. They brought the 733 from the hangar, we boarded, and the pilot promptly reported a mechanical and deboarded all of us.

If the mechanics don't win this in arbitration, that loss will be as egregious as the pilots pension termination.

IAM needs to make a motion to present this case to the entire panel of judges or make every attempt to take this to the supreme court.

Arbitrators read the papers. Management has set up a case that makes it look like U is on its last leg....if that's the case, than Bronner will lose his free advertisment in the Attache magazines and on the airplane vidoes for Alabama and also he will go into to oblivion as just a blurp on a screen as well. He enjoys himself way too much to give that up.

I don't believe U is going anywhere. They know the psyche of labor and know labor's MO on fear. ATSB will not call in the loans and put 27,000 employees out on the street, nor will they pay the defaults through tax payer monies.....

Don't give in, and don't give up!

USFlyer said:
Please explain to me why WN has a near flawless safety record then.
Wait until they don't and it's inevitable, risk of air travel, the nature of the beast, and then how will you slant that question?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If anyone believes you get top notch quality people that will perform flawless work, all in the name of saving a few bucks and further lining the executives pockets in the process via third party low wage shops, you're deluding yourself.

Vendoring to the lowest common denominator results in the lowest possible results. I helped my brother-in-law start his business and my job was vendoring work for him, the results are never what in house brings, ask any business that relies on quality and speed to make their business a success. It's proven fact.

Attention Dave:

If you want to show that you’re any kind of leader you’d best address the mechanics on this issue, and soon. First I doubt further heavy handed tactics put forth by your new and young foreman will do any good and in fact will backfire and slowing production down to a trickle, call it a work safe program. The statement was made that this would not costs jobs, then how about addressing this issue on how that’s possible. You have the mechanics, the people who keep your fleet in the air all feeling raped, lied to, shot in the head and left to die, not a good state for people to be in that maintain your fleet keeping it safe and in the air. Some words are needed soon because I believe otherwise your daily losses will only increase with silence. Is this a threat, absolutely not, but it’s human nature and count on it to respond accordingly.

MmyW & ITRADE,

The difference is that when the airplane comes out of our hanger and needs "tweaking", that additional cost goes into the inhouse maint bucket.

When the plane comes from STS and needs "tweaking", the extra cost is probably not counted against STS, but still goes into the inhouse maint bucket - making inhouse maint look even more expensive vs outsourcing.

Jim

MarkMyWords said:
While I am not making light of the issues with 700, there have been issues with work that comes out of our own hangars too.
True .. but mostly minor tweaks! In my 28 yrs. and 20K+ hrs., no emergency landings, no no-flaps or the like!

From Mohawk to USAir .. maintenance has ALWAYS been the finest! (well .... around contract time ...... <_< ) But quality and safety was always first. And the Company never, ever baulked at any write-up. I always stressed this fact when speaking to others about flying.

2B

When the plane comes from STS and needs "tweaking", the extra cost is probably not counted against STS, but still goes into the inhouse maint bucket - making inhouse maint look even more expensive vs outsourcing

I remember reading about such cases like that a few years back at another carrier in regards to the ability to farm out a percentage of a maint budget and how the budget could be artificially inflated to enable it.

High Iron,

There's an old saying about there being three kinds of liars - plain liars, d*** liars, and statisticians. This company has proved repeatedly that it is adept of using selective statistics to paint whatever picture it wants.

Jim

Piedmont4US said:
pitguy said:

Yes it does. A whole lot actually.
Are you implying that this is about breaking the union?

2BorNot2B said:
True .. but mostly minor tweaks! In my 28 yrs. and 20K+ hrs., no emergency landings, no no-flaps or the like!

From Mohawk to USAir .. maintenance has ALWAYS been the finest! (well .... around contract time ...... <_< ) But quality and safety was always first. And the Company never, ever baulked at any write-up. I always stressed this fact when speaking to others about flying.

2B
While I won't sight examples......there have been a few. Some of it "tweaking" and some of it much more extensive.

I have heard the 737's that were painted by a vendor will need to have $500,000 each worth of repair work done for the cracks that are now forming from the vendors erroneous work. I am also told that the vendor will not be eating this cost. Hopefully no cracked airplanes will not fail before they are fixed. Go figure!

-For some it is about saving a few stones, for me it is about safety.

USFlyer said:
pitguy said:
History shows what third party maintenance does. It is no secret. Look at the history even of late. Read into that what you like. Fact is fact. Third party maintenance is all about reducing cost. Even 'U' has stated that.

--Gee, did you hear about the first Airbus that came out of that place?
Please explain to me why WN has a near flawless safety record then.
My thoughts exactly

Latest posts