TWU International visit to JFK

Bob Owens said:

I believe the Equity was set aside by the court. Peterson made a motion that the union pay legal expenses so members get full equity, died for lack of a second.

Political theater, why else would anyone make a motion without knowing he had a second and the vote for that matter in the bag.

You clowns are all the same, you get in there under the illusion your gonna change things, give the members unreal expectations, make a name for your self screaming at the international, you get on the internationals payroll, then screw the membership, and the dues keep flowing.

Seen it time and time again.

OldGuy@AA said:
Prediction -  The TWU will claim they will rectify the difference in sick pay and agree to AA's demand that we go to the 8 sick days per year use them or lose them.  AA has already dropped this bomb on their own management so I am sure the TWU is next.  The FAs will tell them to stuff it and the Pilots will laugh and refuse to discuss it.  Both those unions will keep their sick benefit while we lose ours.  Anyone want to wager on this?  Unless AMFA wins the representation vote this will happen to AMTs.  It's going to happen to Fleet and Stores either way.  C'mon Bob or Overspeed bet me an ice cream.
He ain't lyin!

Bob Owens said:

I'll tell you what, before I answer that question you answer the question I asked you in our last exchange. 
I would love to answer this one Bob.  As you know I will never question your integrity or your knowledge of how the TWU and negotiations work.  I thank you for your explanation of how stores got all the improvements and we got more concessions.  I was under the impression that we held out too though since we did vote the first offer down as stores did.  I do hold John Hewett and our Local 514 leadership at the time for the lousy deal and the fear they used to get is passed.  I followed them around the base when they were selling it to the membership and asked many questions they didn't want to answer.  I did convince some to vote no but not enough sadly.  I did learn about the roll call vote brought on by title 2 who were told they would all be laid off.  I had one electrician come to my work place and scream at me after I held my vote no sign by the front gate and the first vote failed.  He accused me of getting him laid off.  I assured him I never laid anyone off in my entire life.  But I digress.
     The answer I must give is that although I do not agree with the TWU and feel they have never represented my interests I am still a paying dues member and I feel I have an obligation to my fellow members to support them.  I will not be part of any kind of action (or inaction)  that hurts a fellow union member.  I feel strongly that the international goes out of their way to hurt AMTs specifically while getting better benefits and perks for other groups.  I don't think this will ever change.  My impression of Lombardo is he is all talk and no action.  You asked what actions and I can give you no examples other than a weak attempt to get the company to let go of our matching prefunded medical funds.  I will not support anyone who does not support me so the international can take a flying leap.  I will not hurt a fellow union member though so if a job action is called for I will do as I am expected.  Maybe this makes me a hypocrite or maybe even crazy but my loyalty lies with my fellow union members and not with unelected officials who blow smoke up my butt and lie to me about how well they are representing me and then hand me a TA that is not fit for anything other than toilet paper.  I will continue to push AMFA and try to get others to sign cards.  I hope the day comes soon where we I can take the TWU union shirts I have been saving and distribute them to all the homeless people I can find in downtown Tulsa.  Until that day comes I will do what I can to help my fellow workers.  There are a few local 514 elected leaders who know and understand my stance.  We agree to disagree on what the international has done and continues to do to help AA destroy our careers and we agree that the only people we have is each other. I have the utmost respect for this handful of people (and you) and I appreciate what they do for us and realize that they are fighting the international on a daily basis.  I am guilty of many things but I will not be guilty of helping AA take advantage of any union member or group.  The international does quite a good job at that though as they push more and more concessions and lies.  I have said before that I do not have the gift of the written word like you do Bob and it takes me a lot of space to get my point across.  I feel you are one of "The Good Ones" and honestly try to help your union members.  I don't agree that the TWU is ever going to attempt to secure a decent pay or benefit package for AMTs so I will continue to try to get them ousted.  I hope that makes some kind of sense to you.  If I ever get the chance I would like to buy you a beer.  I wish we had leadership like you here in Tulsa. 

In Lombardo's written announcement of intent to run for TWU Intl president, he stated he was against the TWU/I AM alliance. Now he states that there is nothing that can be done about it. Upon reading the agreement between the two it does not appear there is anything signed that is legally binding. Just a letter of intent. If the proposed vote for said alliance has only the options of alliance or no union, then he is a complete and corrupt liar. He has the position of power to not blackmail his union brothers and sisters into voting for something the vast majority do not want .

What I've asked is that if Harry takes on management, not that we all of a sudden drop all our demands for changes and internal reform, or even that anyone stop the card drive, but that we all pick a side in the real battle, that we pick the Union side, and no matter what our differences are be willing to fight the company. At this point in the game, if they cant get enough cards signed to get an election with things as bad as they are do you really feel that allowing things to get even worse will make a difference? Who pays? We do. 

Bob Owens said:
Just as I don't really know neither do you. Granted your assumptions are based on what you have experienced and I'm taking a leap of faith but even if it turns out you are right and I'm wrong then what is the downside by being willing to fight the company if he leads that fight? His track record in PHL is pretty good, was involved in several strikes, we have not struck AA since 1969. 

Bob, 35 years of paying dues yet admitedly still a novice in terms of knowledge of the inner workings of Unionism. But as I referenced in a previous post, any talk of strike will do more to disrupt our goal of achieving solidarity amongst members than will help it. It absolutely provided a form of leverage back in the day. Yet, we see too much of a shift in society to hang on to outdated stategy. I believe we must strive to elevate the image we convey and find ways to convince management that to continue with an adversarial mindset is a poor approach to the genuine success of the company.
I'm not too naive to understand that we need to flex muscle periodically to maintain a degree of respect, yet I believe the Union leader most prepared to succeed for the members leading into the future will be some sharp guy or gal that invents an alternative to strike. Also, it would be naive to think that the Union could just flip a switch and somehow we would all walk in lock-step.
Regarding the cards, no, if the recent pillaging by AA doesn't wake folks up, we're toast. Fortunately, my involvement allows me to express optimism toward that outcome.

A couple of things, in 2000 Little was talking tough like Lombardo is now, Little writes on a peace of paper, $28 an hour and says this is what I'm going to get you. Then AMFA got a huge raise for NWA mechs.

Bob Owens accused Steve Gilboy of local 563 of being an international sellout. Now Bob is backing Lombardos tough talk and Steve is working on the floor at ORD.

I hope Bob is right, but until I see something positive for my career from the TWU, I'll just maintaining its just the same old TWU, tough talk years away from negotiating.

Duke787 said:
A couple of things, in 2000 Little was talking tough like Lombardo is now, Little writes on a peace of paper, $28 an hour and says this is what I'm going to get you. Then AMFA got a huge raise for NWA mechs.

Bob Owens accused Steve Gilboy of local 563 of being an international sellout. Now Bob is backing Lombardos tough talk and Steve is working on the floor at ORD.

I hope Bob is right, but until I see something positive for my career from the TWU, I'll just maintaining its just the same old TWU, tough talk years away from negotiating.

Unless you are willing to have the nads to vote down the substandard contracts/TA's the TWU so willingly wish their membership to swallow.......you have no beef.

To bittch and moan, especially from a yes voter is just that bitching and moaning.

JABORD said:

What I've asked is that if Harry takes on management, not that we all of a sudden drop all our demands for changes and internal reform, or even that anyone stop the card drive, but that we all pick a side in the real battle, that we pick the Union side, and no matter what our differences are be willing to fight the company. At this point in the game, if they cant get enough cards signed to get an election with things as bad as they are do you really feel that allowing things to get even worse will make a difference? Who pays? We do. 

Bob, 35 years of paying dues yet admitedly still a novice in terms of knowledge of the inner workings of Unionism. But as I referenced in a previous post, any talk of strike will do more to disrupt our goal of achieving solidarity amongst members than will help it. It absolutely provided a form of leverage back in the day. Yet, we see too much of a shift in society to hang on to outdated stategy. I believe we must strive to elevate the image we convey and find ways to convince management that to continue with an adversarial mindset is a poor approach to the genuine success of the company.
I'm not too naive to understand that we need to flex muscle periodically to maintain a degree of respect, yet I believe the Union leader most prepared to succeed for the members leading into the future will be some sharp guy or gal that invents an alternative to strike. Also, it would be naive to think that the Union could just flip a switch and somehow we would all walk in lock-step.
Regarding the cards, no, if the recent pillaging by AA doesn't wake folks up, we're toast. Fortunately, my involvement allows me to express optimism toward that outcome.

http://twu514.org/blog/2014/06/24/letter-from-atd-to-aa-on-prefunding/

Well JABORD, this letter so kindly ask AA management to Please explain why we haven't received our matching funds yet pursuant to article 41.1 in the contract. It goes on to ask if they (AA) feels we are not entitled to this match, Please provide documentation and a reason why. Furthermore it thanks AA for it's time and consideration in this urgent matter!

Guess what JABORD, not a peep from AA in regards to this urgent matter. Maybe if we would have said PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE...

comatose said:
Unless you are willing to have the nads to vote down the substandard contracts/TA's the TWU so willingly wish their membership to swallow.......you have no beef.

To bittch and moan, especially from a yes voter is just that bitching and moaning.
If you would have listened to me you would have an additional $35k in cash in your pocket along with a more holidays etc etc........if you didn't see BK coming or an attack on our pensions you were living in denial.

Even with the benefit of hindsight you still make the wrong decision. Before 9/11 we had all sorts of power, in 2010 we had no power. 2014 we have moderate power but no where to go with it except to AMFA. the IAM can't even do better then the TWU. It's for change, a couple years before negotiation.

AANOTOK said:
http://twu514.org/blog/2014/06/24/letter-from-atd-to-aa-on-prefunding/

Well JABORD, this letter so kindly ask AA management to Please explain why we haven't received our matching funds yet pursuant to article 41.1 in the contract. It goes on to ask if they (AA) feels we are not entitled to this match, Please provide documentation and a reason why. Furthermore it thanks AA for it's time and consideration in this urgent matter!

Guess what JABORD, not a peep from AA in regards to this urgent matter. Maybe if we would have said PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE...
Your a little off on your interpretation. I don't advocate for any mechanic to get down on your knees to anyone. My only emphasis is that if we want to elevate our status, only a fool leads by emotion and militancy isn't going to get it done.

Duke787 said:
If you would have listened to me you would have an additional $35k in cash in your pocket along with a more holidays etc etc........if you didn't see BK coming or an attack on our pensions you were living in denial.

Even with the benefit of hindsight you still make the wrong decision. Before 9/11 we had all sorts of power, in 2010 we had no power. 2014 we have moderate power but no where to go with it except to AMFA. the IAM can't even do better then the TWU. It's for change, a couple years before negotiation.
That trash you voted yes for was to voluntarily give  concessions on what the company couldn't get its hand on.

You still haven't figured out what zero cost means yet, have you?

toroshark said:
In Lombardo's written announcement of intent to run for TWU Intl president, he stated he was against the TWU/I AM alliance. Now he states that there is nothing that can be done about it. Upon reading the agreement between the two it does not appear there is anything signed that is legally binding. Just a letter of intent. If the proposed vote for said alliance has only the options of alliance or no union, then he is a complete and corrupt liar. He has the position of power to not blackmail his union brothers and sisters into voting for something the vast majority do not want .
All more the reason to vote NO against the alliance!

MetalMover said:
All more the reason to vote NO against the alliance!

I am not a lawyer and am certainly not the judge of what is legally binding. However, in my experience when a letter of intent is signed by the people with apparent authority to bind their organizations, and in this case it was the Presidents of those organizations, it is legally binding. What is not legally binding are unsigned legal opinions from bloggers.

Realityck said:

I am not a lawyer and am certainly not the judge of what is legally binding. However, in my experience when a letter of intent is signed by the people with apparent authority to bind their organizations, and in this case it was the Presidents of those organizations, it is legally binding. What is not legally binding are unsigned legal opinions from bloggers.

Yes, but when this alliance was announced, it was stated that it must be voted on.....That was in the initial announcement.

Realityck said:
Given that you aren't a lawyer, perhaps you should stick to your day job as apologist for a crappy-ass union and leave the lawyering to those with JDs.   

Back