Uniforms

Phoenix23

Mar 8, 2004
I'm looking for some input on the redesign of a flight attendant uniform.

Who do you think has the best? The worst?

What would you like to see in a new uniform?

Best- British Airways (mens) / THY - Delta (womens) I applaud almost anything that breaks away from navy blue!

Worst- Southwest (some components) / United (womens) / KLM -(I said almost anything)

I'd like to see- Unfortunately, hats are neither practical nor popular but it would be nice to at least see more color in the uniforms...something to better distinguish one line from another. I'd also like to see some sort of morphing of the stiff, businessy uniforms that are not really needed for the work we do and the casual look of some of the low cost carriers. Something between wingtips and sneakers, between dress slacks and shorts, between neckties and polos. I think everyone should have a set of wings on their jacket, dress and/or shirt but no nametags. Some kind of stripe incorporated into the design somewhere would be nice to keep with the traditional nautical theme of airline crews. (I loved the little bars on the cuffs of the last TWA uniform jackets.) I wouldn't mind going without aviator shirts and shoulder bars (epaulettes). Something more fashionable in a shirt would be nice. Few people really need two front pockets with flaps! Also, while Polyester may travel well, it burns well, too. I don't know what the best fabric would be but I'd prefer to wear something with a higher natural fiber content in case of fire or evacuation...and don't require panty hose for the women...that is the stupidest uniform rule I've ever heard of!

I would have just a few basic options for the uniform so it would need to be pretty classy and versatile on it's own. The more options you have, the more liberties people seem to take in regard to how they wear them. IMO.

Best is for me, undoubtly the Singapore Girl uniform designed by Pierre Balmain that has stood the test of time, culture, and is now epitomized with a statue at Tussard's. The men's uniform at Malaysia Airlines is very classy, akin to a tuxedo with silk designs woven into the jacket. In this country, jetBlue's Stan Herman designed uniforms are of a nice shade of blue that I could live with, Kate Spade's is cute, but nothing beats the Pan Am uniform of the old days. I agree with this forum that we need to move away from the basic, cookie cutter navy blue look with itchy, scratchy polyster fabrics. Even the wool/polyster blend for the new "read cheaper" uniforms manufactured in Poland for American Eagle is irritating.
I think hats and scarves are a nice touch and we should try to bring that back to mainline uniforms. Try to not have white shirts, they stain easily, difficult to keep clean, and please, no poly!

Czerny

On positive thing to consider about white shirts is they can be bleached. Some stains are impossible to remove from colored shirts

ah

I like the United hat. I don't really pay attention to the airline uniforms, so really no comment on preferences.

Attachments

• 5016.jpg
    5016.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 109
czerny said:
I agree with this forum that we need to move away from the basic, cookie cutter navy blue look with itchy, scratchy polyster fabrics. Even the wool/polyster blend for the new "read cheaper" uniforms manufactured in Poland for American Eagle is irritating.

Czerny
I agree that it doesn't have to be navy blue, but the "itchy, scratchy" wool/polyester blend was, in a sense, demanded by flight attendants. At some time in the past, flight attendants demanded a fire-retardant uniform. Fire-retardant to a level that neither pure natural fabrics nor 100% polyester could meet.

Kinda like, be careful what you wish for, you may get it.

My 2 cents...
I'm not wild about the design of the AA uniform. Personally, I would prefer double-breasted jackets for the men. I look good in double-breasted jackets. :p However, I have no particular desire to look "with it" or "hip" or "cool." I have an important safety job. I prefer looking professional in my appearance at work. I have a large supply of jeans and t-shirts for my days off.

The hemline on the women's dresses should be sewn in at the factory with carbon steel thread that can not be removed. Something needs to be done about these women who hem their uniforms up to just below their butt cheeks so that every time they reach to the overhead bin their panties show. Not only do I NOT want to see anyone's underwear in the work place, some of them evidently don't own full-length mirrors. Someone needs to tell them that the cottage cheese on the backs and sides of their thighs is the large curd variety. And, navy blue tights or pantyhose do NOT hide the fat rolls on the sides of the knees and around the ankles.

Male flight attendants who have gained more than 15 pounds since being fitted for their uniforms should be required to purchase new uniforms. There is nothing attractive or professional looking about a large navy blue, polyester-encased sausage moving down the aisles. Going around with the shirt not tucked in the pants does not look cool or comfortable, just sloppy. Oh, and BUY SHIRTS IN THE RIGHT NECKSIZE. IT IS NOT THE TIE THAT IS CHOKING YOU. I know that you wore a 15 neck when you were in high school, but you've gained 40 pounds since then.

But, don't get me started. ;)

Latest posts