Us Airways Hints Merger Is Best Option

calibrator

Veteran
Jan 30, 2004
Article

Even before I started working at U over 15 years ago this is the same story. Nothing has changed except the fact that many executives and upper management came and then left with a bundle of cash while employees felt the pain and suffering. Fifteen years and it’s the same story and we have morons on this board who think it will work and when someone like myself points these past facts out I am labeled negative.

What U does and what corporate America gets away with is criminal but we the sheep-pole let it happen and the only thing we all do is piss and moan and nothing else, amazing!

You have people on these boards who fly airplanes and can’t grasp these facts and every time a “new†deal is in the works they jump and up down pissing their pants believing U will become the next LUV, pathetic.

Working at U set me up, I now have a brighter future and collect a small pension to pay the high cost of fuel, no thanks to what some people call talent, “management†and what I call vermin. Who I thank for my situation is my own personal talent, “trade†and my health to perform those skills and the labor unions for making it possible but most of all, the Lord for providing for people like myself the opportunity to survive in this country without a Ph.D..

I am done posting, my time has come and gone in the airline industry. It was a real experience meeting such varied people, most really friendly and highly talented. What amazes me is the perpetual Pollyanna’s who believe the yellow brick road is only another paper signing ceremony away when all it does is make vermin even wealthier than they already are. Such people grate my nerves, but then again we live in an imperfect world where BJ’s are not sex and calling a gay person strange is unacceptable and you are punished for telling it like it is.

I told it like it was on these boards and still the drum beats on with more younger morons jumping on the yellow brick road believing they are awake.

Working at U and posting was fun while it lasted but like the old dog I am getting tied of the same old same old especially since it really no longer effects me personally.

I could name the great posters but you know who you are, take care of yourselves and God Speed.

Curt

Downsizing to profitability? Interesting concept in theory, but highly impractical even with a well thought out plan. Such a plan would have to include;

1. Elimination of many small stations. If the fleet is reduced by 30%, then approximately 30% of the destinations would have to go. This would need to be done prior to exiting bankruptcy in order to void existing leases.

2. Maintain minimum frequency requirements on remaining routes.

3. Aggressively seek alternate forms of income. Cargo, service other carriers and even, maintenance.

4. Elimination of many non-essential (non-airport) positions. CCY shrinkage should be approximately 50% more than fleet shrinkage at each level to compensate for on-site RIFs that should not be as much as fleet reductions.

5. Decide how to best cater to your customers. The most profitable airlines do not go overseas for res centers, nor do they put a customer is a never-ending Alan maze. View overall costs, not just salaries.

6. Simplify! Everything. Now.

Very difficult to successfully complete in the best of circumstances. Virtually impossible to achieve in this marketplace. I've never shorted a stock before, but if US announces a plan to further shrink the fleet, the temptation may be too great.

The only viable option looks like a complete merger. Very soon.

yep very soon....and more likely than not.....the phrase Us Airways will be relegated to the former forum "airlines of the past".
keep making cost saving adjustments and just keep losing money....when do you say enough is enough???
they're going to toss the keys over in merger and say here,i can't do this anymore...
i'll give the vaunted pilot credit for one thing,he mentioned survivability of the network .....the only thing to remind us of our soiled heyday may be our east coast network....
i feel the sun will be setting on U shortly forever......

From what I can see in the daily ops is this...!!!

Mgt. will not let the employees in on "What’s going on". The employee's have no idea where this is headed and this creates havoc in the ranks. Sure, CEO's can give talks but it still falls short of knowing the future of your own company. Frankly, I believe Mgt. doesn't know them selves. I know people lining up jobs and are ready to leave, the bar has been set so low anybody can jump over it now.

For the people still employed at U, it is a testament to their personal convictions they have in doing a good job that this airline is even operational. Short handed, battling everything from customers to Mgt. they continue to pull through. (Time after time again).

Now, it looks like U is being shopped around like a broke car, who will take it off our hands…??? I’m not being negative…just honest. <_<

SL

Smartest Loser said:
From what I can see in the daily ops is this...!!!

Now, it looks like U is being shopped around like a broke car, who will take it off our hands…??? I’m not being negative…just honest. <_<

SL
[post="267072"][/post]​
go look up etops1 post about his short talk with lakefield....he was ridiculed but i feel he may have gotten the scoop weeks ago......in it lakefield said "other airlines only want assets not employess....including america west...go read it its the gospel....
caveat emptor....

AtlanticBeach said:
Downsizing to profitability? Interesting concept in theory, but highly impractical even with a well thought out plan. Such a plan would have to include...

4. Elimination of many non-essential (non-airport) positions. CCY shrinkage should be approximately 50% more than fleet shrinkage at each level to compensate for on-site RIFs that should not be as much as fleet reductions.
The only viable option looks like a complete merger. Very soon.
[post="267065"][/post]​

No airline has ever shrunk to profitability, period. Beside that, you and I both know that your requirement #4 is not going to happen. If they started eliminating jobs at CCY, some of those people kicked out the door might start telling the truth about what is going on behind closed doors there. The last thing they want is for the non-CCY employees or the public or the regulatory agencies to know where the bodies are buried. :lol:

"..and calling a gay person strange is unacceptable and you are punished for telling it like it is..."

I completely agree that the workers at US have endured enough for years. What's individually interesting is that your 15 years of frustration in the airline business can manifest itself through your dislike of not being able to publicly belittle some people (gays.) But, then again, you said we live in an imperfect world.

I don't know what you're getting at, BlueOceans. Whenever anyone invokes the name of the Lord in a message, it is generally safer to regard any opinions expressed therein as Truth.

Smartest Loser said:
Now, it looks like U is being shopped around like a broke car, who will take it off our hands…??? SL
[post="267072"][/post]​

Here is a picture for our airline sale! :shock:

Attachments

• junk.jpg
    junk.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 135
"The savings range from $82.4 million in 2006 to $91 million in 2011 and include closing facilities, changes in technology and expansion of its "buy-on-board" program, where passengers currently pay for meals."

hmmmmm I bet they are thinking right now how much they could charge for a can of coke!!! $1.00 maybe $1.50??? You know that old joke about putting a
coke machine on board!! haha :p

calibrator said:
Article

I am done posting, my time has come and gone in the airline industry. It was a real experience meeting such varied people, most really friendly and highly talented. What amazes me is the perpetual Pollyanna’s who believe the yellow brick road is only another paper signing ceremony away when all it does is make vermin even wealthier than they already are. Such people grate my nerves, but then again we live in an imperfect world where BJ’s are not sex and calling a gay person strange is unacceptable and you are punished for telling it like it is.

[post="267040"][/post]​

Thank the Lord
Curt you need to move on with your strange life :blink:

cltflyguy said:
"The savings range from $82.4 million in 2006 to $91 million in 2011 and include closing facilities, changes in technology and expansion of its "buy-on-board" program, where passengers currently pay for meals."
hmmmmm I bet they are thinking right now how much they could charge for a can of coke!!! $1.00 maybe $1.50??? You know that old joke about putting a
[post="267116"][/post]​

They probably thought of that but the machine weighs to much and would put the AC out of C/G limits.

cltflyguy said:

IcelandAir charges for non-alcoholic drinks. I flew to Iceland on them last summer & it was $1 for coke, juice, etc. Hot meal was free though.

Latest posts