Usairways Unattractive To Unemployed

PITMTC said:
What is the correlation between "industry failing to adapt" and "inept management"?
[post="202288"][/post]​

MCORORES is right. and if I may add:

Low cost carries existed before 9/11. The industry was changing and US Airways was losing money hand over fist for years before 9/11. All 9/11 did was remove the monetary and psychological buffer built into a mature industry. With reserves and buffers removed, companys had to compete with what they are, not what they were. And US Airways was and is a top heavy, micro-managed, bureaucratic monster. With people making decisions about policy based on brightly colored "pie charts" instead of systems and processes.

Thus, inept management, failing, in a changing industry.

I think any effect of 9-11 is basicly long over...

If you doing any reading about the airline industry in general...Lots of people are flying...There is a overabundance of people at the airports...alot of demands on the air traffic control system, with all the flyers...The lower fares have made it more affordable for everyone to fly now, where before deregulation, for some it was unaffordable...

My opinion is that the problem with some legacy carriers, they have big staffs in the mgt/administrative areas, and are not willing to pare them back, or take thier own cuts....But instead placing a massive, unneeded burden in LONG TERM CUTS on front line workers...

Southwest has shown that it is not the employee pay...(higher pay scale than USAIRWAYS CWA ...)

It is really the efficiency of the use of personnel...quick turn arounds...Using 1 type of aircraft...cutting out all the exteraneous calls dealing with just seat assignments, by a first come first served..open seating policy...And treating the employee well, thus promoting good morale, high productivity and customer satisfaction..

Bravo MC
I love a well though out reply. You know, you made a very good response and based on where you work, very well educated one. I must honestly state that I failed to remember to look at the business/leisure travel end of the changes. Thanks for the enlightenment.

I know I am going got get slammed for this but, US had the idea but failed to put it through. Operation high-ground was aimed at quicker turn times and increased utilization. Then there was Metrojet, also aimed on a low-cost quickturn theory.
Some of the problem:
Although they were follower not a leader attempts, they had the right idea, who on here supported them? Not me, I was part of the negative ones.
These were pre-9-11 ideas.

PITMTC said:
dell, there is no doubt on my mind that we are "both" going to take hits. What one calls heartless another would call a business decision. If it affects you, you call it heartless, if it does not, you call it business. I happen to call it business even though it is going to affect me. What can I say dude, I accept reality as it seem is going to happen to me.
I can not go on strike, I can not vote on a proposal. I just accept it and stay or not take the chance and leave. I am betting big-time right now.
[post="202309"][/post]​
i call it a heartless business decision if you will,and i speak for 'both' of us.....i can't see where outsource is the cure all.
being fair to 'all' employees is where i see it......you know and i that we can survive competitably with inhouse...they just do not wish to be bothered........
at our expense no doubt.
what perplexes me to no end is the loyalty to the end for management when their own doom is at hand...i just can't buyoff on that. and i see no need for it to come to that although it will.
IAM will be lucky to limit fleet to 50% outsource...... ;)
btw- i have been well prepared to meet my fate...........

Reservation Agent said:
[post="202320"][/post]​
I believe the after affects of 9-11 still linger, particularly with the Legacy carriers. Not the affects of terrorism, but the affects of what the Legacys needed to do in getting the passengers to return in the months just after 9-11. Introduction of low, low fares and the problem that since 9-11, it is impossible for the Legancys to raise those fares without loosing passengers to those Legacys who wouldn't match attempts at increasing fares.

Reservation Agent said:

My opinion is that the problem with some legacy carriers, they have big staffs in the mgt/administrative areas, and are not willing to pare them back, or take thier own cuts....But instead placing a massive, unneeded burden in LONG TERM CUTS on front line workers...

Southwest has shown that it is not the employee pay...(higher pay scale than USAIRWAYS CWA ...)

[post="202320"][/post]​

This is a fact that past and present mgmt teams in CCY either refuse to address or inept at running a business. US has seen WN biting at their heals since 1991 on the West Coast, and their only response? Run the other way......not adapt.

PITMTC said:
First let me start by fairy stating that I can not answer my own question, but I would like to hear your anwer to it.

Explain your statement I quoted while answering the following:
What is the correlation between "industry failing to adapt" and "inept management"?
The industry did not casually change over a couple of years, it was pushed on 9-11. How would you, being an industy leader, make it happen without the necessary labor changes.
[post="202288"][/post]​

how bout you give me 4 and I'll give you back 5 that would be a start

PITMTC said:
The industry did not casually change over a couple of years, it was pushed on 9-11. How would you, being an industy leader, make it happen without the necessary labor changes.

US Airways had well over a decade to "adapt." From pulling out of the former PSA markets because of an inability to compete to Southwest's takeover of BWI (and the failure that was Metrojet), the company never responded effectively to low-cost carrier expansion. The company stated the following in the second paragraph of its 10-K filing for 1993:

As discussed in greater detail in "Management's Discussion and Analysis of Financial Condition and Results of Operations," the dramatic expansion of low fare competitive service in many of USAir's markets in the eastern U.S. during the first quarter of 1994 and USAir's competitive response in February 1994 by reducing its fares up to 70 percent in those markets and other affected markets in order to preserve its market share led the Company to announce that it expected to experience greater losses in 1994 than it experienced in 1993.

The company got some breathing room as a result of Continental Lite shutting down its GSO hub, AA closing its hubs at BNA and RDU, and the failures of EA and PA in the early 1990's, but the writing was already on the wall. The boom times of the late 1990's only postponed the day of reckoning. The attempted merger with UAL was the exit strategy that ultimately failed; poor management with no "Plan B" meant that the company would have been ill-prepared even absent the 9/11 attacks after the merger failed. What September 11 *did* do was accelerate what had been brewing in the industry for a long time. US Airways had been losing money since the third quarter of 2000. Essentially, September 11 moved the competitive clock forward by about five years by destroying cash cushions at inefficient airlines.

The company's "Transformation Plan" really isn't all that different from Rakesh Gangwal's "Plan B" announced in August, 2001. If you want to read it for yourself, it can be found here. The names have changed; i.e. "Southwest" and "Continental" were replaced with "JetBlue" and "America West" and the "mainline regional jet" concept was replaced by Midatlantic and PSA.

But this particular outcome has been coming ever since US Airways bought PSA and bought Piedmont to reduce competition in the Northeast/Midatlantic.

PITMTC...do not know to much about the High Ground plan since I work in Res. On paper it did look good and one can only wonder if management did not do a good job of selling to the ATO and ground employees. MetroJet is a different animal. I like you was against the MetroJunk plan. To create an airline within an airline to me is just a recipe for disaster. Look at those who have tried. As sfb posted above about COlite it plain does not work. Shuttle by United, Delta Express and COLite no longer fly. One needs to ask why. IMO it just confused the passengers. Imagine flying on USE conx to mainline and then conx to MetroJet. 3 different types of service. This is where Luv kicks our butts big time. People who fly LUV and now even JetBlue and other LCCs know what to expect service wise and appreciate consistancy. This is something when you create that airline within an airline does the most damage to the whole product. A passenger who takes one leg on MetroJet and another leg on mainline got 2 different types of experiance. Had many preffered members book away from MetroJet. The only good thing that I liked about MJ was the color scheme. And the one thing that I still question today is why did we choose the 737 200 series for MJ service which from what I understand these loved to drink the fuel when we still had the F100s in the fleet which were not as fuel hungry as the 73S. Have heard from the grapevine though that they tended to need a little more attention from the mechanics. Maybe that was the reason but who really knows.

Latest posts