WHAT ARE WE RUNNING HERE AN AIRLINE OR A CIRCUS

While US is not alone with weather related problems and cancellations, they are alone in how poorly they equip employees to do their jobs and handle such situations, causing a ripple effect in terms of poor customer service. The issue is not that they are more affected by weather and ATC than other airlines, but rather they have labor issues, poorly treated employees and the inability of senior management to run a major airline on TOP of all this.

Case in point was a personal observation in IAD on Wednesday night. Of course weather had the entire NE in shambles. We were on UA back to BOS. Instead of one agent there were 4 at the 757 gate, with one dedicated to just rebooking those on the previous BOS flight (MESUP) which cancelled. There were some agitated customers, but everyone was kept informed, the agents maintained decorum and were pleasant, constantly apologizing for the inconvenience, etc. No employees were complaining, grumbling, or otherwise showing frustration or anger.

Once on board, the crew, although they had had a rough day already, behaved as if this was their first leg of the day. My boss and I were in Row 9 (2L door). Once the door was closed (on time), we were advised by the captain that there was a weather delay and our departure fix was closed (SWANN for those who know). We had channel 9 on, so I was able to listen to the chaos first hand. They tried rerouting us 3 times, over different fixes, but kept closing those fixes. Finally, after 3 hours or more, we got off--creative dispatching and coordination with ATC?? Perhaps. A Jet Blue to BOS was going to return to the gate, but ATC had to talk them into continuing (another subject entirely).

Oh and we had 3 or 4 beverage and snack (pretzel) services in back before we even left the gate and they ran the movie.

We got into BOS around 2:20AM, but we got there, and most were in good spirits.

Believe me we support the front line tremendously, and we do fight to get you the tools you need, but Tempe obviously does not value employees OR customers as much as the competition does. THAT is the problem, and THAT is why this place is on the verge of imploding....

My best to you all....

While US is not alone with weather related problems and cancellations, they are alone in how poorly they equip employees to do their jobs and handle such situations, causing a ripple effect in terms of poor customer service. The issue is not that they are more affected by weather and ATC than other airlines, but rather they have labor issues, poorly treated employees and the inability of senior management to run a major airline on TOP of all this.
This is hurtful because it's true.

The JetBlue BOD needs to step in for a day, you could bet Parker would be gone in a flash.....
They need to assemble on the banks of the Rio Salado and fire missle launchers at the whole damn HDQTRs building........there isn't ONE salvagable soul in the place- and then the Koolaid Receptacle will be destroyed (they are the ONLY ones that drink it and believe in their cause). Idiots!

Sorry Charlie. It was a great airline by many standards! You just refuse to remember.

sky high states: Yeppers. Posted Profits for many consecutive years. I think, 14 years and it happened even during a recession. Sure, TWA and Pan Am were the carriers to "see the world"....but Allegheny/USAir were known in the industry for good labor relations, good contracts and working conditions. When you brought up the name, USAir, it was usually followed by, "ohhh, that's a great place to work, everyone loves it over there."

only stating opinions

sky high states: Yeppers. Posted Profits for many consecutive years. I think, 14 years and it happened even during a recession. Sure, TWA and Pan Am were the carriers to "see the world"....but Allegheny/USAir were known in the industry for good labor relations, good contracts and working conditions. When you brought up the name, USAir, it was usually followed by, "ohhh, that's a great place to work, everyone loves it over there."

only stating opinions
Problem with What You stated is Labor relations, good contracts and working conditions have little VALUE to the travelling public. All three issues DO make for a better work environment for the workforce BUT....regardless of how well you treat the employees IT's The Customer that Matters. People PAY for transportation (although some do have Illusions of Grandeur on what to expect). Point is, the orig USAir will never go down as one of the great airlines in history....even the beloved PIT (by some) many still view US as a price gouging, renegade (do what we want) community insensitive Corporation. <And looking from the Inside/Outside that is only the Tip of The Iceberg. Great....I think NOT!

They tried rerouting us 3 times, over different fixes, but kept closing those fixes. Finally, after 3 hours or more, we got off--creative dispatching and coordination with ATC?? Perhaps. A Jet Blue to BOS was going to return to the gate, but ATC had to talk them into continuing (another subject entirely).

sky high states: Ouch, you sat THREE HOURS on the runway? Passengers are getting very vocal about this, even though they can LQQK out the window and witness the reason why. Last week, we had to go back to the gate and let people off, which further frustrated the ones who wanted to go home.
I watched the SEVERE weather on Wednesday night. Lightning, HAIL, thunder all at once. Flooded streets, trees down, electric wires laying on the ground--all on my street.
Wow, I'm trully amazed you even operated that night.

One of JETBLUE'S flights that night didnt fare so well: http://www.abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?sect...&id=5432598

That said, they need to respond to weather/ATC delays BETTER. Staffing seems to be the biggest issue. Specially, at the SPECIAL SERVICE desks. They need to come up with a version, like the F/A's have, OPR. OPR for Agents. Weather hits, call these agents into action, quickly process the long lines, and minimize the frustration of those passengers. Labor costs are always an issue, pay like an OPR F/A. (3;30 pay) OPR pay and shift for agents. Wouldnt that help reduce mandatory overtime?
Anyway, a thought. I'm tired and embarrassed of seeing hundreds and hundreds of passengers affected by weather on a weekly basis. Sure, the weather caused the problem, but how WE MANAGE those all people, quickly and efficiently, is OUR PROBLEM.

only stating opinions.

Problem with What You stated is Labor relations, good contracts and working conditions have little VALUE to the travelling public.

sky high states: Astro, I was agreeing with PITBULL on her comment, this airline was a great company, at one time.
THAT'S ALL.

ONLY stating opinions.

Sky,

My comment about 3 hours later is NOT a complaint. I was amazed myself the flight even operated....my point was that the situation was well managed from beginning to end, and in addition to channel 9 we had the crew keep us informed as soon as they got new or no more information. It was well handled by people who were equipped to handle it.

Your point is well made--US is ill equipped to handle almost ANY irregular operation. Inadequate staffing AND inadequate tools with which to do the job are primarily responsible for that.

Sky,

My comment about 3 hours later is NOT a complaint. I was amazed myself the flight even operated....my point was that the situation was well managed from beginning to end, and in addition to channel 9 we had the crew keep us informed as soon as they got new or no more information. It was well handled by people who were equipped to handle it.

Your point is well made--US is ill equipped to handle almost ANY irregular operation. Inadequate staffing AND inadequate tools with which to do the job are primarily responsible for that.
Art,

You sure did pick a fine week to fly UA. I'm glad that they kept you well informed though.

Our manager Al Ross was on the phone in about 20 min. of the cancelation with our regional manager and OCC to resolve what we could do, to get these pax to DFW.
to make a long story short within about hour 2 buses were secured for the pax so they would be able to make it to DFW.
Now Im sure its not what they would have hoped for but those pax Im sure where greatful we got them to DFW.
In the worst of circumstances I saw many of our agents come thru to take care of many of our customers.
Just another example of that despite many of our issiues we must continue to do our best to take care of our pax.
[/quote]

I've worked with DFW Station Manager Al Ross...class act all the way. And Thank you to the CSR's for getting the job done because it REALLY is about our customers.

I don't understand does upper management not have the know how to add on extra sections to get some of these passengers and families to their destinations, if you'd look at the booking numbers in certain markets it just doesn't make sense.

US in the past when things turned this bad with weather and passengers were stranded US added extra flights to get people moving -instead we are booking on OA if any seats are available or rescheduling some 2-3 days out....or refunding.