Whats up (or down) with these numbers?

tadjr

Veteran
Aug 19, 2002
TPA
www.airlineforums.com
I''ve been off the past few days and was wondering whats going on with the numbers? Is it all weather related or is something else going on?

Yesterday''s mainline systemwide operating statistics:

Actual M-T-D Goals
Departures--S:00 minutes 35.2 41.6 70.0
Departures--S:05 minutes 47.1 54.5 85.0
Arrivals--S:14 minutes 48.3 58.8 87.0
Completion Factor 98.5 98.8 99.3

All of these numbers for MTD are way out of line for where we have been the past few months. What gives? Do I really want to go back to work tomorrow? ;)

The delayed departures are directly related to the summer thunderstorms we have been having up and down the eastern seaboard lately.

CLT is getting pounded on a regular basis almost every evening. CLT is not alone either...then with a Hub and Spoke system you get a ripple effect.

At around 1:00 each afternoon the groundstops and ground delay programs start rolling out of the ATC Command center, almost like clock work. Yesterday, delays for PHL, LGA and EWR were in excess of 3-4 hours! Every night this month we have been plaqued with ATC and WEX all over the east coast. Today is not shaping up to be much better. Fog in PIT and CLT this morning is already slowing things down, and the forecast for the DC, NYC and PHL areas are more thunderstorms again tonight. Mother Nature is beating us senseless. The weather models show no improvement until next week!

Enjoy that weather at PHL, folks. While PIT is enjoying 2 Cat III approaches without PRM BS, I'm sure your inbounds to PHL will be sitting on the gate during the ground stop.

I can't wait until Dave tries to move in the RJs. This guy would probably have a hard time operating a toaster, much less an airline....

You would hope. I see the end of the month being even more challenging since there are 5 weekends in the month of August. Crew shortages and 5 weekends just makes me cringe. I would hope that if we are still estimated to be crew critical for the month, that they would go in and selectively reduce the flying schedule on Tues and Wed when the bookings are lighter and conserve crew resources to ensure coverage for the end of the month.

----------------
On 8/6/2003 6:44:31 AM MarkMyWords wrote:

Every night this month we have been plaqued with ATC and WEX all over the east coast----------------​
So someone in CCY should know that extreme summer weather ISNT a fluke and should have done or be doing something about it for the rest of this month AND next year?

The unusually severe weather has greatly contributed to the crew shortage, which will be eliminated with the September 2 schedule change when 7,000 block hours are temporarily removed from the schedule and then return in October. In addition, as the tempterature begins to subside, the thunderstorms will dissipate.

Best regards,

Chip

the reduction is just for one month, just in time for the snow, ice and northeasters to hit.

overlay

It's 12:30 and here is what is in store for us again today.

Chip,

While that is great for the month of Sept and Oct, what do we do about the month of August? Six days into the month and we have had huge delays and multiple cancellations due to weather and ATC already. If we are projecting crew shortages for the end of the month, then a proactive response would be much better then taking the typical wait and see what happens approach. Making selective schedule adjustments early in the month to conserve crews and cancel those flights that are protectable online with minor inconveniences would be much better then 150+ flight cancellations on labor day weekend.