Worplace Violence Training

Gee Buck, you really seem to have a major problem with JFK, don't you? You don't seem to have a problem with other local presidents who stand shoulder to shoulder with Bob owen....Why is that? Is it because JFK with its small number of flights accounts for a major source of revenue for AA?
Or is it just your hatred fro Bob Owens? Do you really think he controls negotiations? Jim Little has stated on more than one occasion that the International OWNS the contract...So maybe you need to take out your anger on Little who did not take over HIS negotiations...

Understand something.....there is no line pay, no geo pay and most of the layoffs will come from the base....That's reality.....If the TWU were able to roll call, namely TUL, a money for jobs contract, there would be deal in place by now....The company wants to outsource,,,,,and that is essentially the way this will play out...

No one is benefitting from this BK...

Actually I am for line and Geo pay. Again I dud not start this little game of tag with the line, the line did. But most of TUL will tell you where you can stick your premiums. And I am no longer angry.

If I were angry, it would be not just Jim Little, but at anyone who has prevented the removal of the TWU.

I wish that my company offered this type of class. Then again, I work from home most days.... ;)

As many people that we have working that the Tulsa Base I am sure that statistical numbers would raise the percentages of something happening. In fact, without mentioning names or specifics, by definition, the instructor gave some examples of work place violence that took place right on the Tulsa Base already.

I do not know why some choose to be against everything that management does like this even before they have attended the training themsleves, but that is one culture change that lower pay and benefits will not change, and to succeed that does need to change.

It was an interesting class and Mr. Doyle did a professional job of presentation. And he was sincere in his desire to keep everyone, not just himself as safe as possible. This class is currently voluntary and each one has filled completely on a volunteer basis. In other wrods everyone wanting to attend has not been able to yet. More are scheduled though. That tells me there is a valid concern on the base about the issue.

One of the statistic I recall is that on average for every homicide that happens there is 1.5 Sucides. Something around 55 homicides in Tulsa and 89 Suicides. He gave a number of 8 of our coworkers here in Tulsa that committed suicide last year, one in the parking lot. And the reason that was mentioned is that statistically speaking, recently some that wish to commit suicide decide to takes others lives with them and that has the potential of becoming a work place issue. He gave real life and very specific examples of that type of work place violence which has happened right here in the Tulsa Metro area.

Actually I am for line and Geo pay. Again I dud not start this little game of tag with the line, the line did. But most of TUL will tell you where you can stick your premiums. And I am no longer angry.

If I were angry, it would be not just Jim Little, but at anyone who has prevented the removal of the TWU.

SO they can tell us where to stick our premiums? Then they wouldn't be insulted if the line guys were to say it''s a good thing 4300 mechanics are getting laid off?
I would never say such a thing, but if they are saying "screw the line", then how would you expect the line guys to react, Buck?

What is really making people crazy is that for decades, what TUL wanted, TUL got,,, and because of the sheer numbers at that base, it was basically "SCREW THE LINE AND EVERYONE ELSE." And now that alot of their jobs are on the line, they want us all to take an even bigger financial burden for them...

Try selling that to the line guys in high cost areas.

It is high time the line separates from TULSA,,,let us all fend for ourselves...This is only a LINE vs OH issue because of economics, BUCK...NOT WHO IS MORE IMPORTANT AND WHOSE JOBS ARE MORE CRITICAL... IT IS ABOUT DOLLARS AND CENTS! For years I have been personally told by Tulsa mechanics on field trips that if we don't like it, we can all just move on down to Tulsa.....

So if you and the rest of the TUL people could give a rat's ass about the line stations, then, sadly, I must retrun the sentiment!

What everyone needs to understand is that EVEN IF the TWU proposed selling us ALL out to save jobs, the deal would've been done by now..

AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN......All parties are preparing their arguments for the inevitable..THE TERM SHEETS!

Why dont you guys create a new topic called "Line vs Overhaul" go argue your asses off and quit turning every topic and every issue into this same BS? I am tiring of this crap.

Well Frank the guy presenting the training has over 30 years of Police Experience and Training. His statistics paint a much different picture of pre-event identification. You can go to the class yourself, take your data and argue with him all you want.
Me, I accept his facts and believe AA Management is on the right track here with this training.

I have no data myself so I have nothing to argue, but the training videos were also comprised of statistical data from true events and were purchased and created from outside AA. Between recognition of potential and survival ideas in the event it does happen. I just fail to see one ounce of negatives in this training. In fact, after going through the training, I have more concerns about someone so against the training than the training itself. Just my opinion.

In fact anyone that "understands" so much about it, and verbalizes how to get around the recognition is someone I consider potentially dangerous to my safety and the safety of others.

AA is not claming this training will save you or anyone else. But I found it to be worth attending and again, I will publicly thank AA mangement for providing it.
Not complaining re: AA offering the course - originally only made mention of how the email read, as I recall.

Lol :)-D
I gotta tell ya.....sometimes these threads are a lot like a bar full of tanked up guys trying to talk over each other, one guy accidently gets brushed or bumped into....and the Shiites on! :))
Just comical to read some days.

SO they can tell us where to stick our premiums? Then they wouldn't be insulted if the line guys were to say it''s a good thing 4300 mechanics are getting laid off?
I would never say such a thing, but if they are saying "screw the line", then how would you expect the line guys to react, Buck?

What is really making people crazy is that for decades, what TUL wanted, TUL got,,, and because of the sheer numbers at that base, it was basically "SCREW THE LINE AND EVERYONE ELSE." And now that alot of their jobs are on the line, they want us all to take an even bigger financial burden for them...

Try selling that to the line guys in high cost areas.

It is high time the line separates from TULSA,,,let us all fend for ourselves...This is only a LINE vs OH issue because of economics, BUCK...NOT WHO IS MORE IMPORTANT AND WHOSE JOBS ARE MORE CRITICAL... IT IS ABOUT DOLLARS AND CENTS! For years I have been personally told by Tulsa mechanics on field trips that if we don't like it, we can all just move on down to Tulsa.....

So if you and the rest of the TUL people could give a rat's ass about the line stations, then, sadly, I must retrun the sentiment!

What everyone needs to understand is that EVEN IF the TWU proposed selling us ALL out to save jobs, the deal would've been :done by now..

AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN......All parties are preparing their arguments for the inevitable..THE TERM SHEETS!

Not insulted but do not care as long as they get theirs. I have worked around this non union attitude for my entire career.

How would I expect the line to react? Defensively, just as I have when some from the line have made similar statements.

As for the line separating from overhaul, do I need to sign a ballot?
And I would ask that I not be included in those that despise the line

I have yet to hear of any coalition that has been formed to have a vote for separation.

The "workplace violence training" obviously doesn't stop some from acting like tyrants in here. Maybe a class on being bipolar is in order?

MORE ON THE TOPIC

According to the U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics recently published fact sheet, workplace shootings account for roughly 10% of all work-related deaths per annum in the United States. While this number may seem shockingly high, it is nonetheless accurate:

“Over the past 5 years, 2004-08, an average of 564 work-related homicides occurred each year in the United States. In 2008, a total of 526 workplace homicides occurred, or 10 percent of all fatal work injuries.” – U.S. Dept. of Labor: Bureau of Labor Statistics, Workplace Violence Fact Sheet, July 2010

What is even more alarming is that workplace homicides are now the second highest cause of work related deaths in America, trailing only behind transportation fatalities such as workers killed in highway accidents. In fact the average retail employee is more likely to be shot fatally by a co-worker than a construction worker is to fall to his death, or be killed by operating heavy equipment. In 2009 for example, it appears that the numbers are even higher, as 12% of all work related deaths were homicides, out of the total 18% classified under the assaults and violent acts category.

With this in mind, it is paramount that HR personnel and hiring managers do their due diligence when screening prospective hires, to ensure they are doing all that is possible to provide a safe and productive work environment for their employees. Hiring someone with a history of violence, or even a wanted criminal, because a background check was not conducted in the screening process could mean the difference between life or death for employers and employees alike.

With lives on the line, a comprehensive background check should be part of every company’s hiring practice, and could reveal a history of undesirable conduct from your potential employee. This can also be said for potential tenants, nannies, business partners, and even for checking your neighborhood for registered sex offenders. There is no excuse for not doing your homework when such information has never been more easily accessible or affordable. Intelifi.com specializes in background checks and offers truly comprehensive solutions at prices any business can afford.

Why do AMTs on this board hijack almost every thread to turn it into a line vs base pissing contest. Start a thread and keep it contained to just that thread. That is proper internet forum etiquette. We need a mod for this forum.

Reactions: 1 person