83 Flight Attendants set to return

Not so much related to the thread, but a random and probably silly request/question for those that have been with the company a while.

I am a year away from receiving my Bachelors degree in Phoenix and I currently work on the ramp (as my tag shows) in PHX..... however, I want to become a flight attendant but I am sort of worried about combining the first year of that change in the company with my last year of school in PHX.

I am wondering how likely it is that I would be shipped somewhere else if I live in PHX, though I know a flight attendant can pretty much live anywhere and that the stations are based on seniorty... but having been a ramper for so long I am quite curious to know how the schedules work, especially for those new flight attendants that are still learning the ropes for the first year.....

For starters, I understand I will be low on the totem pole and be re-starting my seniorty... and I don't care so much about that. I just want to know if anyone thinks it possible that I could still go to school (especially if I take my last year of classes online) and work for the first year as a flight attendant or if I would be better off just waiting until I am done with school and THEN going through training.

My schedule now allows me ALL the flexibility in the world, so I suppose it's not really a question as I am just looking for some advice from flight attendants that know the company and know the in's and out's and can offer a possible future flight attendant some much needed clarification and help.

I'm going to an info session next week just to check it out, but I am not planning on doing anything seriously about it until I can sit down and really talk with a flight attendant locally one day at work.

Thanks in advance for any help, and I appreciate any and all advice or responses.

Random ramper in AZ

Not so much related to the thread, but a random and probably silly request/question for those that have been with the company a while.

I am a year away from receiving my Bachelors degree in Phoenix and I currently work on the ramp (as my tag shows) in PHX..... however, I want to become a flight attendant but I am sort of worried about combining the first year of that change in the company with my last year of school in PHX.

I am wondering how likely it is that I would be shipped somewhere else if I live in PHX, though I know a flight attendant can pretty much live anywhere and that the stations are based on seniorty... but having been a ramper for so long I am quite curious to know how the schedules work, especially for those new flight attendants that are still learning the ropes for the first year.....

For starters, I understand I will be low on the totem pole and be re-starting my seniorty... and I don't care so much about that. I just want to know if anyone thinks it possible that I could still go to school (especially if I take my last year of classes online) and work for the first year as a flight attendant or if I would be better off just waiting until I am done with school and THEN going through training.

My schedule now allows me ALL the flexibility in the world, so I suppose it's not really a question as I am just looking for some advice from flight attendants that know the company and know the in's and out's and can offer a possible future flight attendant some much needed clarification and help.

I'm going to an info session next week just to check it out, but I am not planning on doing anything seriously about it until I can sit down and really talk with a flight attendant locally one day at work.

Thanks in advance for any help, and I appreciate any and all advice or responses.

Random ramper in AZ
If you want to become a flight attendant, do so elsewhere. I would finish the Bachelor's Degree, continue working on the ramp ,and apply at Continental, Delta, or Southwest. At least you will still be employed while trying to land the job. US Airways is not the place to work as a flight attendant, sorry.
The East and West are still on seperate contracts. The only hiring US is doing is in the West. You will be on the old America West contract, based in PHX. You will make less than you are on the ramp now. Don't be fooled when they tell you at the info session you have all this potential to make a lot of money. It is total BS@!!! You will be on Reserve status for many years. No paid training for 6 wks. At least the other carriers will give you shelter and feed you a couple of times a day. We are a sinking ship, and there is no hope of labor disputes being settled anytime soon. Please take my advice and go elsewhere. :up:

Well, they may not have a bad attitude, but if they really wanted to come back they would have come the first few times they were asked, no?

Right, nobody wants a returning f/a who has a bad attitude coming back, especially if they are going to join the f/a's who are already here with bad attitudes.

Returning flight attendants with bad attitudes is just an assumption. We have to remember those return from 01 classes are those that got the shaft right after 911 and had to fight to have the right to be recalled. Good for them that they had the opportunity to live their lives and do something better for themselves such as school, start a family, or get a better paying job. Regardless what US Airways did for their employee's in comparison to other airlines with the whole unlimited flying until recalled, most of the flight attendants received the better end of the stick when furloughed. Unlike most, they turned a bad situation into a good one by preparing a better cushion for them in the event they do return. Let’s show some love and support ppl.

I just want to know if anyone thinks it possible that I could still go to school (especially if I take my last year of classes online) and work for the first year as a flight attendant or if I would be better off just waiting until I am done with school and THEN going through training.

My schedule now allows me ALL the flexibility in the world, so I suppose it's not really a question
Random ramper in AZ

Finish school.

Even though I work for a different airline (AA), the situations are similar for new hires. Trust me, finish your degree BEFORE you start applying for flight attendant jobs.

1. If hired you will start training when and where the company (whoever it is) says you start. If you don't start at that time, you not only assure that airline will never hire you, you will probably screw your chances at any other airline. (Because of the government-required security checks on new-hire f/as, the other airlines will know that you were offered a job and "turned it down.")
2. Training is all day every day 7 days a week for 5-6 weeks. If LCC is anything like AA, you will be required to sign a statement that you are not working at another job or attending school/other training while in training at the airline.
3. Even if you could overcome these hurdles, for the most part there are no scheduling "gimme's" for people still on probation--particularly if you are on reserve which you will be. You fly when, where, and how much crew scheduling tells you. They will not care that you have an important paper to write or final exam to take.
4. Be sure you understand exactly what you are getting into financially. LCC is somewhat different (a little more liberal) from AA regarding extra flying by reserves, but there will not be as much opportunity as you might think. Take the starting hourly pay, multiply by the guaranteed hours (usually around 70/mo), and realize that will be your GROSS pay before deductions. Ask yourself honestly, can you live on that?
5. As far as being assigned to PHX out of training...depends upon not only the seniority of the base, but also your seniority position in your class, and whether or not they have slots open in PHX. Your class seniority is determined by your birthdate--oldest person in the class is #1, etc. When I started with AA in 2000, I got DFW right out of training. However, I was the oldest person in the class; so, I got first choice. Also, be aware that was the FIRST time since 1989 that new hires had been assigned to DFW. It is a senior base. So PHX may not even be available when you graduate. It could be available to the class before you and the class after you, but not your class.
6. If your job on the ramp gives you the flexibility to trade hours or take off for such things as final exams, stay on the ramp until you graduate.

Good luck!

The list of is posted on the Hub. There are 99 people on the list from all five classes in 2001.

Hula flyguy... Not quite! There are three groups of furloughees: (1) the involuntaries; (2) the voluntaries; and (3) VFLR (very few of whom, if any, will come back). Each time there is a recall, the company has to go through the entire involunary list and if they don't get enough people who don't pass, they go from the bottom of the seniority list back up, forcing them to either come back or resign. That is what the company is doing now, and they must go through the process for every recall. Voluntary recalls were for a fixed period of time and once that time is up, I believe they come back the next time there is an opening or when they are forced back because there are no more involuntaries and the company has a staffing shortage. That's when the company goes through the (voluntary) list in inverse seniority order and forces them to come back or resign. Once the voluntary list is exhausted, then the company goes through the VFLR list and gives them one shot to come back (and their seniority would then be below all east and west flight attendants... their seniority date would be the first day of training).

Thank you for explaining, flyer!

I'm 1 of those that got recalled... my seniority date is 14MAY01, the 2nd to last class of 2001. I got my first choice, LGA... I didn't really want to come back just yet without a Merged Contract, but I also thought to myself, if I didn't go back and was forced to resign, I would regret it down the road if I didn't at least TRY.

I'm 1 of those that got recalled... my seniority date is 14MAY01, the 2nd to last class of 2001. I got my first choice, LGA... I didn't really want to come back just yet without a Merged Contract, but I also thought to myself, if I didn't go back and was forced to resign, I would regret it down the road if I didn't at least TRY.

Welcome back, Scotty! :up: Timing is everything!!! I understand your point of view completely and am sure you will have a great attitude. Good luck in LGA!

Welcome back, Scotty! :up: Timing is everything!!! I understand your point of view completely and am sure you will have a great attitude. Good luck in LGA!

I WILL have a Positive Attitude.. there are enough Negative, bitter flight attendants out there online... we need more Positive energy.

Where did you get based at Nick? Are you part of the Feb 15, 2008 group? My friend Norm is... he will be LGA based as well.

I WILL have a Positive Attitude.. there are enough Negative, bitter flight attendants out there online... we need more Positive energy.

Where did you get based at Nick? Are you part of the Feb 15, 2008 group? My friend Norm is... he will be LGA based as well.

Yes, I'll be based in Clt. I'm one of the lucky ones that have another income so it's not so crucial that I fly. If anything happens that puts pressure on the company to complete the merger and improve pay and working conditions, I would like to be around to participate in any way I can. I have a lot of great friends who work with the company and so I am aware of many of the changes since the furloughs. It is sad. Before 9-11, so much fun and so many good times. But I believe many of the recalls have not had the opportunity to return prior to this recall, and I think will return with a positive attitude.

<SNIP> I'm going to an info session next week just to check it out, but I am not planning on doing anything seriously about it until I can sit down and really talk with a flight attendant locally one day at work.
WCT, who posted #18 in this thread, has no reason to lie. The only reason I could think of going with US/west would be a desire to stay in PHX.

My advice? Stick with the flexibility you have now and stay in school.

Yes, I'll be based in Clt. I'm one of the lucky ones that have another income so it's not so crucial that I fly. If anything happens that puts pressure on the company to complete the merger and improve pay and working conditions, I would like to be around to participate in any way I can. I have a lot of great friends who work with the company and so I am aware of many of the changes since the furloughs. It is sad. Before 9-11, so much fun and so many good times. But I believe many of the recalls have not had the opportunity to return prior to this recall, and I think will return with a positive attitude.

I totally agree with you! I have another income as well... I work in the IT field now... so I'm going to be a Consultant on the side... I have that to fall back on. I also want to be there thru everything... and not have to give up my recall rights completely and resign...

I am thinking of transferring back to PHL or CLT right away... if possible. I heard that PHL finally opened up after being closed forever.... so we'll see.

Good luck! Let me know how things are going once you get to Recurrent....

Scott

It will be nice to have some "new blood" around here.

Welcome back.

If you can hang on and have a "wanderlust" for traveling take advantage of the opportunities.

You won't get rich but this job can still be fun.