Afa Reaches Tentative Agreement

"in any concessionary contract, somebody loses"

In a union, everyone loses, or wins, or holds their own. Some members get the bennies while others get the shaft? I don't think so. A union's main function is equal treatment for all. If it can't provide that one simple benefit, throw it (or the negotiators) out on their keesters.

When concessions occur nobody is happy about the loss of pay and benefits. It is fact that except for the TWU, the other unions to reach a new labor agreement or TA took a cut deeper than the company's initial "ask".

Today the Charlotte Observer reported under the agreement reached Thursday, flight attendants would have a good portion of that pay restored by taking 9 percent pay cuts instead of the 21 percent. The average US Airways flight attendant earned nearly $37,000 in salary last year, according to company figures.

However, to keep the pay cut low, the union had to agree to "major concessions" in vacation and sick time, said Flores, the Charlotte union leader. The deal also includes limited buyouts of up to $10,000 and an agreement by the union to allow US Airways to make no further contributions to its pension plan, replacing it in a few years with contributions to a 401(k) plan.

The company, though, is asking a bankruptcy judge to allow the company to eliminate payments to the flight attendants' pension plans and turn them over to a federal agency, a move that would save the company about $60 million a year.

Complete Story

USA320Pilot comments: Nobody likes what is happening, but it is now time to move one because there is nothing that can be done about the past and the past does not equal the future.

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot

To those AFA committee members, a Thank You for your hard work and dedication to getting this process completed.

USA320Pilot said:
Fr8tmastr:

I take no special pleasure in seeing people take cuts. In fact, if the unions had participated earlier in the process, the cuts would have been less. Who on this board lobbied for that to occur?

[post="229605"][/post]​

How can you say that? The company kept upping its demand. The only reason we got a good TA is because the company finally began negotiating in relatively good faith because, and ONLY BECAUSE, our strike authorization was ratified at 85%. You think not? Well, isn't it coincidental that within a few days of strike ratification, AFA ends up with a decent concessionary agreement, where hundreds of our topped out people will get huge incentives to leave, hopefully resulting in furlough recalls.

Good day,
DCAflyer

Justaramper:

Justaramper said: ‘To those AFA committee members, a Thank You for your hard work and dedication to getting this process completed.â€￾

USA320Pilot comments: I agree, the choices were difficult, but the AFA met the increased “askâ€￾ and obtained a TA. The original ask of the F/A's prior to bankruptcy was $116 million. After bankruptcy, the ask went up to $157 million, which is the same thing ALPA’s advisors told the RC4 would occur without consensual deals reached earlier.

According to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, “After months of back-and-forth bargaining and the threat of a strike, negotiators for US Airways and the flight attendants union have reached an agreement on $94 million in annual costs cuts over the next five years. The $94 million agreement includes pay and benefit cuts but does not address the company's requests to eliminate the flight attendants' pension plan and cut retiree health care coverage. Those requests, worth another $63 million a year, will be dealt with by U.S. Bankruptcy Court Judge Stephen Mitchell, who is overseeing US Airways' case.â€￾

Complete Story

Best regards,

USA320Pilot

I want to go on record also as saying that I think the negotiating committee and AFA did an incredible job. The CHAOS threat worked, and worked well, and showed this airline and others that flight attendants are a force to be reconed with. Teddy, Perry, and the rest have really showed the Lorenzoites of this industry that we will work WITH management, but we will NOT be scared into the corner and forced to capitulate... nor will we sell our junior brothers and sisters down the river like other labor groups have done over and over and over. We are in this together, with our fellow flight attendants, with other labor groups, and now with management, to return this airline to the grand institution it once was.

i never thought i would say this but ,good job afa. yuou guys really came through. keep up the good work. now there is a good reason to pay 39 dollars a month

I also would like to add my appreciation for a seemingly job well done by AFA and the Negotiating Committee. While not ideal, it seems as though the damage has been spread around evenly...with no one "segment" of the F/A's bearing the brunt of an unfair new set of workrules or pay. I think AFA did well in representing the F/A Group and balanced the interest of boths the Junior and the Senior Folks quite nicely...making an attractive offer for Sally Senior to leave and offering Jenny Junior some hope to return at the same rate of pay as the rest of the rank and file...

NICE JOB AFA!

DCAflyer said:
I want to go on record also as saying that I think the negotiating committee and AFA did an incredible job. The CHAOS threat worked, and worked well, and showed this airline and others that flight attendants are a force to be reconed with. Teddy, Perry, and the rest have really showed the Lorenzoites of this industry that we will work WITH management, but we will NOT be scared into the corner and forced to capitulate... nor will we sell our junior brothers and sisters down the river like other labor groups have done over and over and over. We are in this together, with our fellow flight attendants, with other labor groups, and now with management, to return this airline to the grand institution it once was.
[post="229642"][/post]​

DCAflyer,
Well said and I totally agree.

So everytime the company asks for something (pay cut, work rules ect.) we should hurry up and give it to them so don't increase their demands.
WRONG

They will never stop coming back. We earn a living. We earn our way. If we would have made it easy for any givebacks we would have given at least twice as much.
YOU are WRONG WRONG WRONG

blueoceans said:
From what I've heard, the tentative agreement does not treat all members fairly (ex. voluntary furloughs, retirees). If there is one thing a union should do, it's provide fair/equal treatment to every single member. If not, it's a miscarriage of justice (a la ALPA).
[post="229587"][/post]​
:huh: Sorry but those who took voluntary furlough have had the opportunity to change their lives, move on and rebuild.Those who stayed in the trenches and waited deserve to be compensated. Im sorry for the vol furloughees, but thy went VOLUNTARILY, and are still on the senority list. Something must be said for those who "hung in there " Dont u think !!

flyguy121 said:
I also would like to add my appreciation for a seemingly job well done by AFA and the Negotiating Committee. While not ideal, it seems as though the damage has been spread around evenly...with no one "segment" of the F/A's bearing the brunt of an unfair new set of workrules or pay. I think AFA did well in representing the F/A Group and balanced the interest of boths the Junior and the Senior Folks quite nicely...making an attractive offer for Sally Senior to leave and offering Jenny Junior some hope to return at the same rate of pay as the rest of the rank and file...

NICE JOB AFA!
[post="229671"][/post]​
:up: :up: :up: YES, for a concessionary agreement, i think AFA did an outstanding job!! Thanks to all their hard work- they did a fine job and should be commended!!! Happpy Holidays and wishes for a much BRIGHTER 2005!!! Peace

USA320Pilot said:
Abonny:

The AFA hit their cost cut target and changed different parts of their contract to meet their needs, such as no DC retirement plan payments for 3 years to lower the wage rate cut.

For example, the real cut to combined pay rates and DC retirement plan contributions are 12% per year for three years.

There is not a need for comparison of ALPA & AFA contracts because the Negotiating Committees (NC) selected different points of interest, but I agree the ALPA RC4 hurt the pilot group more than necessary.

For example, ALPA has a 10% DC plan annual contribution and the AFA no DC plan annual contribution for 3 years and 3% thereafter. Why? ALPA wants tax deferred dollars and AFA wants less of a pay cut now.

Best regards,

USA320Pilot
[post="229579"][/post]​

This is my greatest area of concern with the T/A, although I must agree that the NC did as good a job as could be hoped for.

The ugly reality: the "hidden paycheck" is gone. Many flight attendants stopped contributing to their 401k during the first trip through bankruptcy and never resumed. Now, the possibility of a distressed termination of the pension plan and no 401k match for three years. I hope that AFA takes the lead and provides the membership with as much information as possible regarding how to financially plan for retirement.

Back