Airbus Ruling

700UW said:
Did you not understand that ALL outstanding grievances that were pre-petition were paid in full. Employees are placed on top in the case.

Like I said, can you please explain why the arbitration award will not be paid?

Not opinions, just facts please.

And the IAM in the last bankruptcy won a a huge WARN act case against the company that was paid to the affected employees.

Judge Mitchell ruled on that also.
[post="186873"][/post]​

700, there can be no solid explanation. The award will be paid unless bargained away as leverage and I don't even think the subject warrents discussion. The IAM did a great job representing their case and protecting jobs in this instance. Credit given to them.
The greater question will be if your company will ever have the capacity to 'understand' that they have the best employees in the industry and that it is a win win for your company and its employees if workers are treated fairly and with respect.

As a side, I noticed the IAM passed a resolution that gives the Machinist greater leverage to depart from the AFLCIO because of disputes with the IBT. Interesting indeed and one that I believe gives the IAM more autonomy whether they form an alliance outside the AFL or not.

regards,

• Banned
Thank You Tim.

I know you have your issues with the IAM and a compliment is nice to read.

I think a good stategy for IAM is to use the award to become partly the DIP financiers of U.

I see much leverage here.

USA320,

Ah, is this the IAM "painful clause" you have been stammering about on here for 3 months???? :lol:

cavalier said:
A small percentage of work maybe 12% is done outside the rest in in Dallas and Phoenix.

I know for sure, I was there and in fact going back next year. Was all thru the hangers as they did "major" overhaul and mods to their 37's, talked to the mechanics performing the work, so on this "fact" you got wrong.
[post="187244"][/post]​

What is your definition of "In-house"? As it stands 50% of US Airways Maintenance burden is done outside of US Airways.. Southwest is much higher. Maintenance burden includes everything..

As for Southwest keep this in mind.. They have 1200 mechanics system wide to maintain 400+ aircraft. We have close to 3000 system wide working 283 aircraft.

DO THE MATH.

1/4 D is a heavy.. You are correct.. And where does Southwest do its 1/2 D? Where does Southwest do its lap joint mod? Anyone care to comment?

B6 - Hangar in MCO is for Live TV install and line maintenance. Their big C check and their S check done outside..

F9 - Where exactly are you doing your heavy visits on the 717? Yes its a nice hangar in Atlanta but its not a heavy/base maintenance hangar.

How come no comments on UAL, AmericaWest, Northwest?

Writing is on the wall.. Thats the point of the topic.. Its hollow victory.

The S check in Alabama cost US Airways 250K per plane not including parts. That was their quoted labor agreement. 12 aircraft, 250K = 3 mil. Do you think for one min. US Airways is going to give the union 3 million dollars to give to everyone because they were wrong!!! HA HA HA.. You would be dreaming.

We are not dealing with people that are rational.. We are dealing with people that have one thing in mind.. Getting rid of as many of us as they can and hiring the cheapest possible labor force on earth the get the work done..

Where you aware that US Airways pays their contract cleaning company $65 per plane to clean the MidAtlantic Fleet? $65 per plane.. Thats less than a dollar a seat.

22 a/c X $65 = 143k a night!! Now do 279 aircraft. Do the math.

What does it cost US Airways per night in in-house utility cost?

Its a hollow victory.. This give the company no incentive at all to bargain in any faith never mind good faith.. They will do what they did the last time.. Here's the deal, take it or leave it.

The judge.. Give me a break.. He's there for the debtor.. He will look and see what the industry is doing, what the LCC's are doing and he will have no choice but to agree that thats the way it is.. Simple as that.. 900 get to stay the rest get to leave..

We have 750 mil dollars of someone elses money in the bank.. US Airways has no money.. None.. Its call claimed.. And 700 before you dispute that read the brief on the Union Website, the company website and the law firms website.. All say the same thing.. US Airways is operating with NO cash.. All cash is collaterized with assests.. NO CASH... Thats why they need the hard dollar amounts.. They need to build up some cash reserves..

From a previous discussion approx 6 mos ago with a WN mech on another BB:

Since I was hired in XXX 2001, there have indeed been a number of mechanics hired systemwide, somewhere in the neighborhood of 400. Quite a few ended up in DAL (the only station that performs Heavy MX), where we opened up a third line of Structures in the summer of 2002. There are approximately 270 mechanics in Structures and the checks we perform range from 1/4D, 1/2D, 5Y checks and various drop-in repairs. Mod work (178 bulkhead inspection, Spirit interior mod, ACARS, rudder enhancement, winglets, etc.) is regularly added to the Heavy MX visits to minimize down time. 'C' checks are also performed in DAL as well as HOU & PHX. Our Line MX operations are to numerous for me to remember them all off the top of my head, but include the stations mentioned above as well as BWI, MDW, OAK, TPA, MCO, BNA, LAS & LAX.

Note: I "Xed" out the month hired to maintain some semblance of anonimity.

• Banned
JustaUmech,

Let me repost this, the S-checks cost $594,000 per plane:

US AIRWAYS SIGNS MAINTENANCE CONTRACT WITH ST AERO FOR 10 AIRBUS AIRCRAFT

Singapore - 09 Oct 2003 – Singapore Technologies Aerospace (ST Aero), the aerospace arm of Singapore Technologies Engineering (ST Engg), announced today that its subsidiary, ST Mobile Aerospace Engineering (MAE), Inc., has signed an agreement with US Airways to perform heavy maintenance work on its fleet of 10 A319 and A320 aircraft. The work is expected to commence this quarter and will be completed over 3 months. The agreement is approximately S$10 million.

This agreement is not expected to have any material impact on the consolidated net tangible assets per share and earnings per share of ST Engg for the current financial year.

"MAE has a proven track record for heavy maintenance work for a significant number of major commercial airlines and cargo carriers. We are honoured that US Airways has selected us in view of our experience in the A320 and performance records. This is a tribute to the quality work performed by MAE employees."

$10,000,000.00 SGD converts into $5,940,005.97 USD

10 planes at $5,940,005.97 = $594,000.597

High Iron said:
From a previous discussion approx 6 mos ago with a WN mech on another BB:

Since I was hired in XXX 2001, there have indeed been a number of mechanics hired systemwide, somewhere in the neighborhood of 400. Quite a few ended up in DAL (the only station that performs Heavy MX), where we opened up a third line of Structures in the summer of 2002. There are approximately 270 mechanics in Structures and the checks we perform range from 1/4D, 1/2D, 5Y checks and various drop-in repairs. Mod work (178 bulkhead inspection, Spirit interior mod, ACARS, rudder enhancement, winglets, etc.) is regularly added to the Heavy MX visits to minimize down time. 'C' checks are also performed in DAL as well as HOU & PHX. Our Line MX operations are to numerous for me to remember them all off the top of my head, but include the stations mentioned above as well as BWI, MDW, OAK, TPA, MCO, BNA, LAS & LAX.

Note: I "Xed" out the month hired to maintain some semblance of anonimity.
[post="187268"][/post]​

Thanks for the info..

Now let me ask you this question..

If Southwest wanted to send the winglet mod to a vendor, could they?

If Southwest wanted to send the 1/2 D to a vendor, could they?

If, if is what US Airways management wants..

If the CEO and the VP of Mtc wake up tomorrow and say "Hey, we want to send the Q check to Mexico, wouldn't that be nice".. Right now the scope prevents that, the ruling solidifies it.. Do you think they don't want to have the Southwest Flexiablility? You can bet everything you own that is exactly what they want..

These people running the show are crooks.. Simple as that.. If the IAM bends and agrees to allow farm out they will farm as much as they can.. You can take that to the bank.. If the union fights the company is going to go to the judge and say "Look, look what our competition can do, look, mean IAM is holding us back"..

If you can't see this your blind..

That is a new release from MAE..

I said they company paid 250K in labor costs to MAE per aircraft.. 250K labor does not include the cost of materials..

If you would like to see a copy of the agreement request it from CCY.. LABOR.. Not total cost.. The labor rate on the S check was 250K and the company was trying to get MAE to lower it because the aircraft were pretty clean..

Where you aware that the seats were shipped to Texas and overhauled for a cost of approx 21k per shipset. Isn't if funny the seats ended up in the home town of the VP of Mtc..

590k to overhaul an Airbus.. What do you think we pay to overhaul a 737? How about 1.5mil.. And that is conservative.

Thanks for the info..

That would've been sufficient reply for the purpose it was posted for...and you're welcome.

I don't know about all the rest of your reply, other than stating the rather obvious fact that a certain party is detirmined to deal in bad faith cloaked in irritionality. I have no idea what a judge may do but quite a good idea ( as I'm sure you well do ) what the company will ( attempt to ) do.

At first I didn't post the quote to argue the mechanics of the case ( no pun intended ), but to clear up just who did what, but now that I think about it can demonstrate that a successful LCC is trending in the opposite direction of what CCY wants.

• Banned
The contract was for 10 planes valued at $5,940,005.97 = $594,000.597.

You have not posted any factual information to back your claim.

I have posted the news release from MAE that showed the value of the contract.

US did not pay MAE for parts as all the parts were sent there by US.

The S-checks costs US almost $600,000 per plane paid to MAE, not $250,000.

Im just curious as to who aurthorized the oursourcing of this maintance issue? It seems to me, who ever it was needs to be held fully accountable for his decisions and immediately fired. The IAM knew this was a violation of their contract with the company and now it has been proved. I think it should be public knowledge as to who this person was that approved this and what the company is doing with regard to the damage he caused not only the company, but the IAM members.

justaumechanic said:
What is your definition of "In-house"?
The judge.. Give me a break
[post="187267"][/post]​

Your mind is made up, no reason will enter because it's “closed". I will not waste energy opening a closed mind. Believe what you may if it lets up sleep at night. I don’t care if the tooth fairy does other carries heavy maintenance. As far as LUV, you don’t know what you’re talking about. I was there, you weren’t. I know the top guns up close and personal and know what they do and don’t do.

USA320Pilot said:
ALPA attorney's told the MEC that Judge Mitchell has the right and jurisdiction to prevent S.1113© "self help". The attorney's said the court will protect the debtor and will do what is necessary to help the company emerge from bankruptcy, Moreover, the attorney' said the judge has significant latitude.

Separately, ALPA MEC chairman Bill Pollock briefed the MEC yesterday in "open session" that the IAM has asked the company to begin negotiations on Tuesday, October 5, and the union said it now wants to reach an interim and long-term labor accord. The union asked the company "to present a proposal", according to Pollock.

The IAM request came less than 12 hours after ALPA obtained a TA.

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot
[post="187069"][/post]​

Blah, Blah Blah. They will just take more money from the pilots. IAM wins. The mecahnics will shut the doors and they (management) know it. - You guys like taking it up the butt so just bend over and give some more cause thats the only place US can save $$$. Don't ask others to subsidize you and yours - keep bending over and thanking them for it.

ojxux said:
Blah, Blah Blah. They will just take more money from the pilots. IAM wins. The mecahnics will shut the doors and they (management) know it. - You guys like taking it up the butt so just bend over and give some more cause thats the only place US can save $$$. Don't ask others to subsidize you and yours - keep bending over and thanking them for it.
[post="187336"][/post]​
ojxux:

Next time try holding nothing back and express yourself a little clearer. :p

justamechanic says,

F9 - Where exactly are you doing your heavy visits on the 717? Yes its a nice hangar in Atlanta but its not a heavy/base maintenance hangar.

F9 is Frontier and we do a progressive C program C1-C12 constitutes an overhaul. The work is ALL done in Denver, and working with the city of Denver for a new hangar here in the not to distant future,

But your comments of in house about SWA, JB, and Air Tran are unfounded.

Back