Airbus Ruling

usfliboi said:
Just shows, IAM is out of touch here. This ruling means nothing. Usairways wont pay any damages and if so pennies on the doallar in bk. Us holds all cards. IAM will give in to what the company wants, or the company throws exsisting contracts out and they will get what the judges throws them untill....... Im not sure of anyones thinking it would be different....
[post="187522"][/post]​

Two words: self help.

And yes, US will probably pay damages. Labor is usually first in line for pre and postpetition claims. In fact, the IAM is (unlike the rest of the unions, so far as I can tell) already doing the gruntwork: http://www.donlinrecano.net/pages/mp.dr2?p...5=0&p6=04-13819

Usairways announced today, it would petetion the court to allow it to outsource the work... Just what ive been saying all along, the ruling meant nothing. Sometime a smart man knows when to take his stones out of the way before they get crushed,THIS WOULD BE AGOOD TIME....Dont shoot me dude just because i have an opinion that tends to deflect your ideas.

Response to Airbus Decision

ARLINGTON (theHub.com) - US Airways issued the following statement in response to an arbitration panel decision last week regarding Airbus heavy maintenance work. “We had asked the IAM to take this matter to expedited arbitration over a year ago, so if there was an adverse outcome, we would have the time to come up with a solution that worked for both sides. But with our company in bankruptcy, we simply don’t have the financial ability to immediately acquire new hangar space and hire more employees, and instead, we will ask the Court to allow us to use a qualified vendor to properly maintain the Airbus aircraft.â€￾

Regards,

USA320Pilot

And they cannot get permanent relief without a 1113© filing, which will in turn lead to the IAM walking off the joint and killing the airline.

Caveat greedy management.

USA320Pilot said:
Response to Airbus Decision

“We had asked the IAM to take this matter to expedited arbitration over a year ago, so if there was an adverse outcome, we would have the time to come up with a solution that worked for both sides. But with our company in bankruptcy, we simply don’t have the financial ability to immediately acquire new hangar space and hire more employees, and instead, we will ask the Court to allow us to use a qualified vendor to properly maintain the Airbus aircraft.â€￾

Absolutely classic response. We violated your contract, we got caught, and it's YOUR fault. These US Air clowns were doing NOTHING meaningful last year to save the company, and now they're making up some BS story. This is a classic case of sound-bite news release to transfer blame to employees.

I wonder how people that make this stuff up can sleep at night.

Yet again , The Company drums a beat of Half-Truths.

(1) Hangar space to perform the Airbus Checks is not a problem...real or imagined. The CLT Base facility is only operating 3 out of its designed 5 tracks. Doing A330-300 , B757-200 and B767-200ER work is already taking place simultaniously...and two bays are sitting vacant.

(2) The new CLT Line Hangar hardly ever gets used to it designed capacity...So the arguement of space or square footage is nothing more than posturing to continue the lie.

The truthfull half of the companies story is the Manning issues to perform the work , but whom do they have to blame beyond themselves for that?

Let the truth be known....U Management has undercut the Maintenance ranks in Base Maintenance to the point that a 7-day operation has little if any merit anymore , yet we pay for limited results on the weekends the same as we pay for electricity and other resources to support it as when full crews are working on the week days.

Tell me , when looking at being cost effective...does paying 100% for support items for 25% of the accomplishment 2 days a week make sense to anyone beyond the shills here? Be truthfull with your reply for a refreshing change.

Clue, do you have a clue? LOL I mean this judge has yet to say No to USair management. Im not quite sure you or anyof us would be able to strike, however time will tell. The courts would be foolish not to grant the motion, and IAM would be foolish to walk. The bottom line here, IAM had the opportunity to talk. THEY REFUSED! This is the price.

usfliboi said:
Just shows, IAM is out of touch here. This ruling means nothing. Usairways wont pay any damages and if so pennies on the doallar in bk. Us holds all cards. IAM will give in to what the company wants, or the company throws exsisting contracts out and they will get what the judges throws them untill....... Im not sure of anyones thinking it would be different....
[post="187522"][/post]​

What you think or what you bleieve doesn't make a bit of difference....

The real "win" here is that IAM has approx $500 million due them. Whether we are in BK are not. That is the worth of the award.

Unlike any other labor group...IAM has this money coming to them, and frankly, it is considered "in the bank".

U will either have to give and I.O.U. or they can take $200 million of it and say THAT IS IAM SHARE OF THE COST SAVINGS.

The company can not ignore it, or tell a federal judge they just don't want to pay it.

They can use it as the IAM share of the cost savings.

If the company attempts to rob the IAM of this....THERE WILL BE A SHUT DOWN OF THE AIRLINE through realease to "self help".

And I would personally back that action with NO hesitiation.

PITBull,

Where is US Airways supposed to get this $500 million?

Am I the only one who thinks this is crazy?

usfliboi said:
Usairways announced today, it would petetion the court to allow it to outsource the work... Just what ive been saying all along, the ruling meant nothing. Sometime a smart man knows when to take his stones out of the way before they get crushed,THIS WOULD BE AGOOD TIME....Dont shoot me dude just because i have an opinion that tends to deflect your ideas.
[post="187552"][/post]​

I don't believe the judge is in the business to throw out all the labor laws and "bust the unions" by allowing outsourcing, especially in the light of this ruling by the arbiter.

Way I see it, the company is either going to have to up the profit piece for IAM to be paid out first OR take part of this money to meet the cost target for the IAM.

At this point, basically, the negotiations are finished. The IAM met their cost target twice over...at the very minimum, at last 2.6 years.

TheDog2004 said:
PITBull,

Where is US Airways supposed to get this $500 million?

Am I the only one who thinks this is crazy?
[post="187592"][/post]​

Yea, just you.

Sameway that Bronner thinks he will get a return on his investment.

usfliboi said:
LOL I mean this judge has yet to say No to USair management.

I have asked this before...but in the first BK was the judge EVER asked to or acted to throw out any labor contracts? As I remember he would not even throw out the pilot's pension...he sent them back into a room with management and made THEM work it out. Management is going back to the SAME judge admitting in their filing they blew it. I can only hope the first thing to go is these thieves running our company into the ground. The mechanics have some pain due work rule wise and manpower wise, but it is not right the company simply "choose" to ignore their contract. The court slapped them hard.....is this judge simply going to turn around and throw that ruling out? I don't think so. We are in uncharted territory here. What this judge does will prove the validity of the laws passed after Lorenzo and gang to prevent this. Don't be so sure you know this judge. Greeter.

usfliboi said:
Clue, do you have a clue? LOL I mean this judge has yet to say No to USair management. Im not quite sure you or anyof us would be able to strike, however time will tell. The courts would be foolish not to grant the motion, and IAM would be foolish to walk. The bottom line here, IAM had the opportunity to talk. THEY REFUSED! This is the price.
[post="187588"][/post]​

Yes, the judge has said "No" to the company. Two major points in the first BK:

1. Made them get the ALPA MEC voluntarily submit to the pension yank.

2. Told them to stuff it RE: the PBGC valuation.

Further, as has been demonstrated in other threads, the CBA abrogation routine in Chapter 11 remains largely untested post S1113, and your assumption that a bankruptcy judge will both overturn the entire RLA and that it will hold on appeal is laughable, at best.

The IAM let their contract do the talking, and it worked. The bottom line is you, like some pilots, are uncomfortable with the thought that the mechs at US seem to have some spine and that you will go down with the ship if they decide to stiffen that spine.

I'll be blunt (and I can feel PITBull sneaking up on me with a large baseball bat as I write this): if you are uncomfortable with that, I'd suggest finding employment in a field that is not unionized. You have benefitted from the will of the collective, and the flipside is that you will burn with it should it come to that. Such is one of the problems (as I see it) with unions: any one person is basically bound by the will of the majority, as opposed to what their own merit will hold.

That said, were I a US mechanic after the Airbus fiasco, I'd shut the place down (especially knowing that it's not impossible to take an A&P and find work outside the airline business).

So place your faith in the judge. I'll bet he's not booking travel on U for next year....

The bankruptcy court's primary responsibility is to the creditors. The creditor's must endorse a business plan the projects a profit margin and the court could care less if an employee is "impoverished" or not.

US Airways must be cost competitive across-the-board or the airline will not emerge.

In regard to the IAM, if there is not a deal obtained, either by negotiation or imposition, the company could seek to outsource all maintenance.

One way to do this is to reduce the aircraft that require immediate checks and then outsource the rest. The airline could close all overhaul and line maintenance stations overnight, just like in TPA, and lock out the IAM.

Then the parties could argue their case in front of Judge Mitchell.

Do I like this thought? No, of course not, but it could be done and prevent a job action, especially if Judge Mitchell permits outsourcing in the S.1113(e) hearing.

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot

Latest posts

Back