AMFA Drive @ American Airlines

JetMech321

May 2, 2012
Dear Brothers & Sisters,

We are proud to announce the official kickoff of the AMFA Organizing Drive in Tulsa.  We have been organizing at the line stations since mid-January with great results, so much so that we are currently over 70% signed at the line with more cards coming in daily.  Some people question why we are collecting cards again, especially after what happened last year with AMFA getting blocked at the door, thanks to the company filing the same day as the Teamsters, and the subsequent withdrawal of their filing midstream.  The answer is simple, after the Teamsters withdrew; we filed a freedom of information act request with the NMB and obtained all the documents of the filing.  The most important document obtained was the company's eligibility list, which revealed two very important things:  First is that your AMFA organizing committee had enough cards had we not got blocked at the door,  and two, over 60% of the names on the eligibility list had signed an AMFA card at one time or another. This information, combined with the delay in the merger caused by the DOJ lawsuit, will provide us an opportunity to remove the TWU in August if those previous signers will sign one more time.
While we have no desire to rehash the events of last year, we feel it is important to point out that after the Teamsters withdrew at AA, the NMB put in place a one year bar that prevents us from filing at AA until Aug, 2014.  In addition, after the Teamsters lost the election at US Airways, there was a two year bar put in place for the US Airways AMT's.  We point this out because although the Mechanics at US Airways are not eligible to file in August, and there is a possibility they could be included in our election if the NMB were to find we are a single carrier in August.  We do not believe that we should be ruled a single carrier based on the fact that not enough time would have passed to obtain the required milestones to be deemed a single carrier.  In order to protect ourselves and our brothers and sisters at US Airways, we have begun drives for AMFA at both Charlotte and Phoenix, along with some of the smaller stations where we coexist, and those organizing efforts are doing well.
Through our contacts around the system at both US Airways and AA, one thing has become abundantly clear; no one we have talked to from either group thinks the IAM/TWU Association is a good idea.  With that thought, and based upon the fact that the IBT got enough cards for an election at US Airways, and both the IBT and AMFA got thousands of cards at AA, we believe now is the time to oust the TWU and bring both groups under one union.  A New union with new leaders for our combined group, and of course we believe based on the events of the last year that union should be AMFA. While we understand the frustration that led members to sign IBT cards or both cards, we blame the Teamsters International for their failure to keep the promises they made to our members for what happened as a whole.  We believe the members not only have a right to choose whatever union they like, but have an obligation to remove any union including AMFA that is not working to better the interest of all our members.
In closing we would like to say that by looking at our database, it appears that the majority of members on the property at both US Airways & AA have somewhere between 10 to 15 years left at the New AA, and we believe our immediate goal should be to maximize our earnings over that time period.  We should do this by getting both groups into one union ASAP, and to that end we believe in light of the current law McCaskill/Bond we should dovetail our two groups based on time in classification to avoid any unnecessary delay.  We also believe that we should seek wage parity at US Airways and AA, and work toward a joint contract that gets us back to the top of the industry and restores some of our job protection/scope language.  The pilots at AA got over 14% matching 401k and the F/A's up to 9.9%, along with job security for incumbents, while we are at 5.5% with no job security.  Our members deserve to be comparable in medical, sick time & vacation to those groups as well.  We will be sharing more of our view of the future in the coming weeks

Your AMFA Organizing Committee

Reactions: 3 people
Okay now Tulsa, this is the time to prove that your done drinking the kool-aid. Show us what you've got .... get this done and we can be part of Craft Class !

Reactions: 1 person
What's it going to take, the TWU couldn't protect OH, we lost MCI and AFW, and our scope clause. How many mechs at TUL are mechs and how many are OSMs? We have the worst contract, and the TWU did not do as well as the F/As or Pilots unions in bankruptcy. The TWU couldn't even get the same percentages as the flight attendants for our 401ks. 

Ronin said:
Okay now Tulsa, this is the time to prove that your done drinking the kool-aid. Show us what you've got .... get this done and we can be part of Craft Class !

Ronin

Now is not the time to point fingers at which station needs to join us in this battle to remove the TWU.

What happened in the past in just that in the past. We need all the mechanics, OSM's, Facilities, Automotive, Aircraft, to stand together both here at AA and USAirways.

It's time for everyone to look at what the TWU has done to our class and craft, weigh what the options of keeping them against what we have lost since our 2003
contract.  Look at what the TWU has done for us with the stock options, equity stake, retirerment medical, Prefunding, Pension, need we need to be told much more.

AA has bought new aircraft, is painting the older ones, where did that money come from? It came from the employees, isn't time we get a share of all the profits that AA
and USAirways get in the future? 

It is time to sign an AMFA card, not to just remove the TWU, but the IAM as well at US. Both of these unions have reached their end. The US mechanics have suffered under the IAM as we have under the TWU.

It's time for us to join together and become a statement UNION in the industry. We will be the largest carrier, #1 in the world, shouldn't the mechanics at that carrier be #1 as well.

AMFA at AA 2014

Haven't all of YOU had ENOUGH?  sign a amfa card so we can start working toward a joint CBA for the New AA's aircraft Mechanics, OSM's, Auto/Facilities mechanics.

Reactions: 2 people
bikeguy said:
Thanks for the update.
Keep hope alive and keep up the good work!
Come on TULE sign those cards.....

Bike guy

It's not just Tulsa that needs to get on board it is the Facilities and automotive groups as well, at every station as well as at USAirways.

Ask the AMFA organizer at your station or region to let you know which city we need cards from, if you know some one at that city, call them
ask them if they will help collect cards.

AMFA at AA in 2014

I am cautiously optimistic, but at the same time, happy to see the green shouts of this grass roots effort sprouting.  Tulsa and all of the Craft, Class and Line folk, let's get this AMFA drive done.  We need all of you. You are an integral part of this movement.  We all need to stand up for our profession.  I personal speak to many of the Pilots on the flight line, The one question they continue to ask me and my colleagues is, whats taking us so long to make this move from the TWU.  People, let's Get ur done!

JetMech321 said:
"Snip"

The pilots at AA got over 14% matching 401k and the F/A's up to 9.9%, along with job security for incumbents, while we are at 5.5% with no job security.  Our members deserve to be comparable in medical, sick time & vacation to those groups as well.  We will be sharing more of our view of the future in the coming weeks

Your AMFA Organizing Committee

Just to update this info. The Pilots and Flight Attendants have a 401K contribution NOT a match. This means they contribute nothing to get the company to fund their respective 401K accounts. The Pilots are at 16% as part of their MOU agreement. Still NO MATCH from the employee. We as TWU represented employees have the lowest of all groups at 5.5% and we have to match it to get it. Another concession. This is suppose to replace our Frozen Pension according to the wonderful negotiating tactics of the TWU. We all know as well the TWU gave up the profit sharing for a 4 something percent raise. The TWU felt the raise was better than a profit sharing payout. The real reason is the pay raise is calculated in the union dues and a profit sharing payout is not. So our dues go up and for what? NOTHING. Yea I had enough.

If the majority of TULE signs cards and by some miracle it goes thru...I'd be surprised. We have shop stewards that used to be eboard menbers and a member in office who was VP under one of the worst Presidents in the history of the TWU. We have people in office who were kicked from the international. And the worst part is we have the same son of a %&*#$ that went on the news and made a vid pushing this sh!t contract thru as a shop steward now. Hope the cards are signed and I'll do my part (again) but I just don't see these zombies doing it. AA/TWU will try and find a way to legally or illegally block it. Deja Vu

If the majority of TULE signs cards and by some miracle it goes thru...I'd be surprised. We have shop stewards that used to be eboard menbers and a member in office who was VP under one of the worst Presidents in the history of the TWU. We have people in office who were kicked from the international. And the worst part is we have the same son of a %&*#$ that went on the news and made a vid pushing this sh!t contract thru as a shop steward now. Hope the cards are signed and I'll do my part (again) but I just don't see these zombies doing it. AA/TWU will try and find a way to legally or illegally block it. Deja Vu

Big Mac

At this point no one cares what goes on here due to the discust of the TWU.
So the same guys run unapposed and endup running the show.

We just recycle these scammers. It will be up to every one to think about starting over, "YES" there might be a learning curve for some but
at least we can remove them if they fail to do the job. having a fresh start will get some guy's to step up and it will be up to the rest of us to insure we
DON'T Vote for the same guys we are all complaining about now. This will insure we break the cycle of scammers.

It's not a time to point fingers at Tulsa its time to help them understand that we are all in this together. We can only get rid of the TWU if we are all on the same page.

Just get one guy in Tulsa or One guy from Title 2 at your station to sign a card this way if every one does this we will have the cards to get rid of the TWU...

Big Mac,

I totally agree with AMFAinMiami, let's just do this as a team.  For too long we have blamed each other.  The fact is, we need each and every one of you or else, we are done as a Craft and Class.  The TWU and IAM is about to break our group into TWU and IAM managed stations.  This essentially breaks the Aircraft Technician group for management.  Please don't let them do it.  The TWU has already broke us into one national local (591).  They did this in order to shut us up.  However, we have something more powerful that a local, we have the Internet.  It has allowed us to reach our colleagues like never before.

AMFA NOW

You guys are the majority.  You're in the drivers seat now, and we're in the back.

Real Tired

we may be the majority, but we are not in the drivers seat this should be a team effort between You guys at USairways and us here at AA.

Join in the fight to rid our class and craft of these two industrial unions. Help get AMFA cards signed at your station and get others to join as well.

Thanks in advance..

AMFA at AA 2014

Real tired said:
You guys are the majority.  You're in the drivers seat now, and we're in the back.
Real tired, 
The fact is, that we are all in the drivers seat, and heading in one direction....the right direction! Getting rid of the TWU!

BigMac said:
Did I miss something? Thanks to the hard work of the  AA AMFA 
organizers from DFW, JFK & TULE we had the needed amount of
cards, even with the Teamster drive. As it turned out it took a scam
by the evil triad to stop...... "make that" delay our drive, not the Tulsa guys.

Latest posts