Cancelled

ISP

Senior
Apr 3, 2003
Looking at the mainline flights in/out of PIT tonight, looks like several cancellations and many "delays due to MX/lack of flight crew." Anyone have any thoughts? I know there is some rain there but this seems extreme.

"delays in aircraft servicing," "delays in ground handling" - is it understaffed?

ISP said:
"delays in aircraft servicing," "delays in ground handling" - is it understaffed?
[post="192471"][/post]​
My observation, at least in PIT this morning, was ground crews were "only" working at 100% of expected performance. This contrasts to the normal %120 I have observed in the past. Go figure. Greeter.

Hmmm...sounds like a bang up job to me. Management should be ecstatic. They should only be working at 79%!

Can we send out utility companies, mortgage, car loan etc only 79% of the bill?

Did the judge's ruling allow for replacment workers to be hired if this gets out of control?

bobcat said:
Not positive but, I don't think so!
[post="192577"][/post]​

IMHO, a Judge, unless confronted with a situation where there is real evidence of wrongful tactics by employees, will not generally make a statement in advance to warn the workers of what relief he will provide if wrongful tactics are used to break the company. Instead, he will probably wait until he is confronted with a situation and let the company seek emergency relief. Putting a pre-activity warning without cause would only insult and infuriate the union workers beyond the bad feelings they have because of the paycuts and he wants the company and the unions to negotiate in good faith. Besides, the unions know the rules and can communicate the consequences to their members.

No you cant 700, but if its that bad maybe open up a car detailing buisness....

jack mama said:
Did the judge's ruling allow for replacment workers to be hired if this gets out of control?
[post="192572"][/post]​

Ha ha... cough cough weeze weeze... I get it now. I get it. The judge is going to save the company. And all this time we thought it was either up to the employees or the mgt. Wow. I finally see the light. Bring on the judge!

jack mama said:
[post="192572"][/post]​

The company was granted no such relief...kinda hard to grant labor relief with thousands of junior furloughee's about isn't it? This if granted?, would have clearly spelled court endorsed "Union Busting"

U's problems with cancellations is not employee related..it's you know what related. Yes the M-word

Lack of Crews is due to poor planning and scheduling

Maintenance issues are going to be due to lack of spare Acft availabilty..spare parts availability...and most possibly an already under-staffed department.

Employee's are not the root cause of any of the above...and it's certainly not due to any degree of abnormally high sick calls being made within the system.

Phantom Fixer said:
The company was granted no such relief...kinda hard to grant labor relief with thousands of junior furloughee's about isn't it? This if granted?, would have clearly spelled court endorsed "Union Busting"

U's problems with cancellations is not employee related..it's you know what related. Yes the M-word

Lack of Crews is due to poor planning and scheduling

Maintenance issues are going to be due to lack of spare Acft availabilty..spare parts availability...and most possibly an already under-staffed department.

Employee's are not the root cause of any of the above...and it's certainly not due to any degree of abnormally high sick calls being made within the system.
[post="192680"][/post]​

Not sure if you are entirely right, but you make good defenses.
1. Lack of crews is due to poor work rules. The planning and scheduling is done the best it could with what they have.
2. Maintenance has had no increase in incidents and the parts can get no worse than they have been in several months.
3. Employees may not be the root cause of the problem, but 45 sick calls on PHl ramp IS higher than normal.

PITMTC said:
Not sure if you are entirely right, but you make good defenses.
1. Lack of crews is due to poor work rules. The planning and scheduling is done the best it could with what they have.
2. Maintenance has had no increase in incidents and the parts can get no worse than they have been in several months.
3. Employees may not be the root cause of the problem, but 45 sick calls on PHl ramp IS higher than normal.
[post="192717"][/post]​

1. You claim to be PITMTC..yet you are now an expert on Pilot Work Rules? Who's kidding whom in that statement? Let's say for a brief moment that work rules are the problem..then it's clear that too many pilots are on the street without having a workable plan in place to support current operations. That is a management flaw chum..not the rules or the employees whom live within the rules.

2. No increases in incidents was never spoken of or remotely implied in my comments...as for things not having the potential for getting worse regarding parts..you haven't got a clue in this world how much more potential thier is.

Lets see how many more Airbus Cancellations we take in the future as more and more of the few remaining parts are removed from the mainstream of U operations to Mobile when the next round of S-Checks start. We feel the pinch everytime we look for an item now..and the S-Checks haven't even cranked up in Mobile again. Basically spare me your rhetoric on the subject..and stick to your new field in crew scheduling. (LOL) :p :D

3. The subject was PIT...not PHL , so your response is meaningless to this particular thread....but I know you feel obiligated to defend the realm of stupidity that we are living under. You may have just found a new career here if so? :lol:

jack mama said:
[post="192572"][/post]​

Replacement workers only if their is unforseen mass resignations.

As a PAX there seem to be LOTS more Dash-8 cancellations suddenly since chapter 22 for both maintenance and flight crew. I don't know if the leases that were rejected were on newer, more reliable Dash-8s, if parts are scarce, if crew folks went to UPS or MDA....I do also notice Dash-8 flight attendants regularly reading their announcements from cards. I'm guessing they were recalled from furlough. ( I don't consider reading from cards a problem, just an observation. Cancellations NOT due to weather are an image problem. )

Back