Changes in First Class Catering?

Very interesting points. Let's clear a few things up:

First, I never said anyone was complaining, whiny, or screaming entitlement in regards to this matter. I merely pointed out that we had a 13 page on the snack basket going away, which it is not (and rumor has it will be added to HP), and now people are starting to say that it's not enough.

Second, I think I was pretty clear that the policy as I know it is that meals in back means meals in front. This discrepancy isn't about an airline not knowing what it wants to be, but a caterer that's not getting the right information down to its front-line people.

Third, that ravioli dish is very tasty.

And, yes, sometimes UA will have lower fares than US; It's the nature of the beast. Often AA has lower fares than WN, but no one bothers to notice.

In reality, BOB in back helps subsidize the meal in front, just like leisure fares help subsidize business fares on a flight. Bear96, you are 100% correct that US wants more once or twice a year travelers, and VFFs that will bring down the fares overall. By rationalizing fares, leisure traffic is stimulated which means the top tier fares can come down. It just hasn't happened yet.

Let me try and put this in perspective: since I don't work at US Airways I only know what I've been told by a regular customer since I wait tables at TGI Friday's. What she told me is that the staff in Tempe is far less than what either company had before, so the professional teams that do things like pricing, analyze competitive fares, marketing, and the like are doing far more now with far less. That means people are doing double and triple duty, and working longer hours than those at either carrier did before. That's where a lot of the synergies came from, and frankly, things are getting done as fast as some of you would like. Add to that the fact that every single tiny little piece of minutia that came from CCY is a total, utter, and complete mess (not the people, the files, the tools, etc.) and they're trying to sort through it all and clean it up. That's not an excuse, that's simply why sometimes things fall through the cracks.

Now, I've said this before, and some people just don't want to listen. However, if you'll just all play along with me, we'll all be a lot happier. When you are in F, and there is a meal in back, but none in front, call Customer Relations and push the prompts that take you to America West. The people who make these decisions are in Tempe and get their information from the HP CR group. That's just the way it is. And you'll be on hold a lot less longer.

They want it all (but they'll still find something to complain about, even if they get it all). BUT, they don't want to pay extra for it all.

Barbell, I admire your perseverance and your attempt to do the right thing by being here, but you can't win with the entitlement mentality many here have.
I'd say it more than "appears" to be this way -- they have been hitting you over the head with this blindingly obvious 2x4 for a couple of years now. You just refuse to accept it.

The issue underlying all of this is value. If pax thought that the fare was reasonable then the bitching about disgusting/non-existant meals in FC would stop. I just paid over 4 grand for tix to OGG and i was served an FC "meal" that was insulting on two flights.

The issue underlying all of this is value. If pax thought that the fare was reasonable then the bitching about disgusting/non-existant meals in FC would stop.
My point is that there is no need to #### -- simply take your business elsewhere.

In the post above yours, Bob mentioned a $400 F fare PHX-PHL with good hot meals on another airline. Earlier Art mentioned the same thing about good meal service from ORD to the northeast.

Bitching won't change anything -- or at least not fast enough. Taking enough of your business elsewhere is the best solution.

Actions speak louder than words. And so far, Tempe doesn't see enough people willing to take enough of their business elsewhere to make a difference, which tells them to keep doing what they've been doing.

For the love of Pete! The last things customers want is even more PA's. It's hard enough to get them to listen to the important announcements, like the safety demo's. Eventually, people tune out all PA's.

Could we have the Sky Mall stuff printed on something else, like the Inflight magazine?

Dea
Dea my dear,

I was on one of my weekly GSO/ATL flights on DL yesterday. It's a 58 minute flight. No less than 3 times the Senior FA was on the PA hawking the DL Amex gold card as an in flight special. Then he walked up and down the aisle twice handing out the application. I thought it was very tacky.

Fortunately, I didn't have to endure it again on the IND flight. Our FA on that flight gave away free drinks to each of the first passenger who could answer several different triva questions. :up: I was in first so my drinks were free, but I have to tell you every one of the 120 plus pax enjoyed the game.

BTW, who is Pete?

Great!!!! That must be part of the Culture Committee!! We are all professinals and know what we are doing. This is not McDonald's we do not need mystery shoppers!!!
I agree that the excess PA announcements need to stop. But,there's nothing wrong with mystery shoppers. No, not everyone knows what they are doing. I'm sure most of the FA's are friendly & professional--but we all know that does NOT apply to everyone.

It's hard enough to get them to listen to the important announcements, like the safety demo's. Eventually, people tune out all PA's.

But the safety announcements are all on the level-off video, just like everyone wanted.

And after the HP F/As started making the SkyMall announcements the YOY commissions to the company rose by double digits.

Money.

And wasn't this thread about F catering?

Silly me! I keep forgetting. It's kinda like how things are around the office most days. :blink:

That is, my office that's not at US Airways' World Headquarters off of Mill Ave. in Downtown Tempe where I have beachfront property. :groovy:

My point is that there is no need to #### -- simply take your business elsewhere.

In the post above yours, Bob mentioned a $400 F fare PHX-PHL with good hot meals on another airline. Earlier Art mentioned the same thing about good meal service from ORD to the northeast.

Bitching won't change anything -- or at least not fast enough. Taking enough of your business elsewhere is the best solution.

Actions speak louder than words. And so far, Tempe doesn't see enough people willing to take enough of their business elsewhere to make a difference, which tells them to keep doing what they've been doing.

Bear,

For your information, there are occasions when we actually did effect change. For example, VFF complaints brought back hot meals in F on transcons. I for one moved approximately $8K in revenue to United during the 6 months there were no hot meals in F on transcons. Multiply that by a couple thousand...it adds up.

VFF complaints got potential horrible changes to DM reversed in less than two weeks back in August 2002--which was the impetus for the beginning of FFOCUS/Cockroaches.

VFF complaints albeit in the media, got airplanes cleaned a little better.

We know for a fact that they do listen--although their hearing can be selective at times.

Back