CLT F/A Crew News- Robert Isom

iwantout

Advanced
Nov 16, 2005
Boy is this guy clueless. He begins the session by wondering if there are any new hires in the training class. How can this guy not know, that we would have no new hires on the East and that we still have f/a's on furloughs. Just more enless promises and hot wind....

Is this the same guy who came from IBM and Northwest? The COO?

Newbie? Look at what this guy did for THOSE companies! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Did anyone raise their hand and patiently explain that we still have 3000 or so flight attatendants furloughed?

Didn't watch the video but a couple friends were at the Session . No enlightening news......Isom is "New Kid on The Block" and couldn't possibly know much about the operation with only 60 days under his helm. They thought he seemed personable and genuine, either that or one polished liar. Also, the topic of PHL.....the operation and level of customer service were discussed. Addressing the issue appeared guarded and she came away with feelings that THEY WOULD BAIL on PHL in a heartbeat "IF" the right opportunities presented themselves (merger). Problems in PHL are MORE INTENSIVE than they ever imagined, and a Political Regieme that is not willing to work with them doesn't help the matter. Other than that WE can only speculate.

Is there a single person in the management team that folks on this board like?

Boy is this guy clueless. He begins the session by wondering if there are any new hires in the training class. How can this guy not know, that we would have no new hires on the East and that we still have f/a's on furloughs. Just more enless promises and hot wind....
Even though there are no East new hires, West crew members that have a CLT layover are also welcomed to attend the session, and the West does have new hires. Therefore he was not incorrect in asking.

They thought he seemed personable and genuine, either that or one polished liar.

I thought DP was pretty well personable and genuine and downright likeable the first 5 or 6 times I heard him on The Hub....and my opinion of him now is not good...I think he's a condescending, arrogant, self-serving liar.

Also, the topic of PHL..... Problems in PHL are MORE INTENSIVE than they ever imagined, and a Political Regieme that is not willing to work with them doesn't help the matter.

See, thats a bunch of CRAP from my perspective...

EWR and PHL have the same demographics and the same, the cost of living is the same, etc.

The problem with PHL is THE PLAN IS ALL WRONG!!! Period.

You arent going to get people who give a rat's behind to work for $7 or $7.50 an hour. People who are wearing ankle bracelets around to track their whereabouts don't make for the right kind of employees for an organization charging top dollar to fly the product.

Take a spin through EWR some time....on CO....not only are things smooth and nice...and the airport is about 3 times nicer, the whole CO terminal looks like Terminal A in PHL...and the people are professional, well trained and just downright friendly and helpful.

So this, "we didn't know how tough PHL would be" that US management is more r less portraying is crap from my vantage point.

Lets not forget, the first few "Town Halls" and "Crew News" meetings that the CLO did, he claimed he was STUNNED at how little the former regime invested in US....and he wants to put more in?

I don't buy it....

How are the crew rooms???

Even though there are no East new hires, West crew members that have a CLT layover are also welcomed to attend the session, and the West does have new hires. Therefore he was not incorrect in asking.

Ok that's a really huge strech. If you were in new hire training for US West you would be at the West training center, which is in PHX. Not at the big boy training center for US Airways in CLT. Secondly, you would not be on a layover if you were in new hire training. Finally, does US West even have CLT layovers? If so, I can't imagine a new hire taking it upon themselves to find their way to the US Airways training facility to listen to some operations guy talk.

He basically just introduced himself by saying, "Hello, I know nothing about the group I'm about to address. Although I'm in charge of operations, I have no idea that this part of the airline was chopped in half during multiple bankrupcies and therefore almost half of the onetime workforce is on furlough. I have neither the respect nor the interest in the airline's most public face to do even the smallest amount of research. I have not been briefed at all on the makeup of the workforce on the significantly more complex, international part of the airline that is three times larger than it's counterpart. This is likely because I've just started working with an incompetent team that is so far out of their league that the entire airline has taken on the look, feel, and bizarre atmosphere of a traveling circus in eastern Europe. It's a pleasure to join you today."

I'm thinking that is what he actually meant to say...

Is there a single person in the management team that folks on this board like?

Doubt it. :rolleyes:

The problem is that many on here sound like they would actually like to see the whole company fold and tens of thousand of people be out of work???

It sound strange I know, but I think it is just the old USAir/Allegheny corporate culture that needs to be killed off permenantly if we are to ever succeed. That coupled with the crooks who run PHL and the airport authority, it is just a no win situation. I think DP and co. realize that we are going to have to merge sooner rather than later and p/u an additional east hub for Int'l flights to take the pressure off of trying to make PHL work.

I mean, you have a bunch of folks on here rooting against their own employer with one of the worst bloviating senators (Spector) in Washington, who NEVER does what he says he is going to do and telling a major area employers' CEO how to run a profitable business?? :unsure: Crazy!

Bottom line.....nothing will ever be good enough for a vocal minority until we are all unemployed. It's like self-destruction syndrome.
Sad. :angry:

Ok, being an original US employee let's just say that this management team has given us NOTHING to be proud of. They make decisions that continuously leave us apologizing to the customer. You are in a dream world of sorts apparently. Ok, WHAT have they done for the likes of you, me or the customer? Yeah, they have HUGE fan club outside of the employees as well. Kill off the original US side or something like that? Yeah the team from the west is incredible when it comes to managing a carrier. Oh this isn't even worthy.....moving on. :rolleyes:

It sound strange I know, but I think it is just the old USAir/Allegheny corporate culture that needs to be killed off permenantly if we are to ever succeed. That coupled with the crooks who run PHL and the airport authority, it is just a no win situation. I think DP and co. realize that we are going to have to merge sooner rather than later and p/u an additional east hub for Int'l flights to take the pressure off of trying to make PHL work.

I dunno....I think a little perspective is necessary in order to understand the situation. First thing, "how do other carriers do it?" CO in EWR? DL in JFK?

I understand your point...but the part that provides a clear disconnect in that logic is that "hubs and happy employees are being managed in the Northeast."

The point I think is important is not only has the old US culture not been killed off, but DP and gang have actually succeeded at "enhancing" it, if you will, and making it worse.

When HP and DP's gang came along, I believe the overwhelming majority were happy and hopeful. Happy to have managers like Wolf, Gungwall and Siegel gone. These were execs that leveraged HEAVILY off the employees. Wolf got something like $10 Million and Gungwall $3 Million, JUST for proposing the UA/US merger...that failed. Now, I don't care who says what, if you are working hard and doing your best...for $40K....or $250K...that just smacks of stupidity....to get paid a LOT of money to fail in your attempt. Siegel got, I believe, $7 Million to get out of dodge.

Thats the perspective....the good people in the east are just sick of being leveraged on. And who can blame them?

Now, you get HP and DP in...and there is optimism....only to see them not only leverage even harder off them...but turn the airline into the laughing stock of modern aviation.

Your point isn't wrong...I don't think...but where you are assigning the blame, from my vantage point, is.

Flip it around....CO has an ENTIRELY different corporate culture. Entirely. Their pension plan is....get this...OVER-FUNDED! Their management isn't making headlines for getting HUGE bonuses while their employees are scrapping for a 3% raise....they actually went to their pilots group, something like 18 months early, to open negotiations to get everyone where they want to go.

Yes, the old culture needed/needs to be killed off...and the new miss-management team TOTALLY squandered an opportunity to do just that.

I mean, you have a bunch of folks on here rooting against their own employer with one of the worst bloviating senators (Spector) in Washington, who NEVER does what he says he is going to do and telling a major area employers' CEO how to run a profitable business?? :unsure: Crazy!

Right....see above....EVERYONE is now firmly in an "us against them." And, frankly, DP handled that ALL wrong...and came off looking silly. Forget all the venom spewed by many, myself included...he just isn't being honest...instead of making excuses, he would be better off saying, "the base simply does not fit into out plans, period." Instead, he tries to make all these lack of profit excuses...while others move in. What did I see in "About US" a couple weeks back that had me stunned....someone asked the exact question, "why can't we as an LCC make a profit yet others can?" And the answer was just the dumbest answer I've ever seen...."we've discontinued all the routes that don't compete with other LCCs." (Something to that affect.) I mean, that almost HAD to be a typo.

Bottom line.....nothing will ever be good enough for a vocal minority until we are all unemployed. It's like self-destruction syndrome.Sad. :angry:

Could be.....and we all remember Eastern and Pan Am amongst others that disappeared with ticked off people. ESPECIALLY Eastern.

But consider this: Great leadership is able to set the tone. Look at what we have in DC now as the President. REGARDLESS of where one resides politcally, the great failing of this President and Administration is their inability to get people onto the same page. We all remember how people HATED Regan and his conservative philosophy....and Clinton and his polticial genius. But these guys managed, despite their enemies, to get people moving in a common direction.

This miss-management team has not, can not do it. They've shown ZERO ability to get people moving in one direction...and a great reason why is they are not concerned with their most valuable asset, their people, first and foremost. They are living their lives through George, Abe, Alexander, Ben, etc...and not looking at the impact it's having on the people and product.

As a customer...and a family member of US Airways....I find it sad.

I now HATE the product...and have more or less moved my flying to CO and UA. I hate the pricing of the product...and I see, first hand, daily, the silly things from the eyes of a family member and loved one. I see that person TRYING to do their job to the best of their ability...trying for example, to get a flight out on time, only to be ready to go and say to a poorly paid and trained newbie G/A, "we need weight and balances please" and the agent says, "oh, thats right" and then disappear....meaning the flight leaves 20 minutes late. That's just ridiculous.

So, you can blame east culture...and I understand what you are saying...but at some point, there must be leadership that understands it and can find a way to solve it, not just beat them and say, "TS."

And paying people low wages and beating them won't get it done....unfortunately, the cost of living in New York, Boston or Washington DC is just VERY different then the Pacific Northwest....or Southwest...or Midwest. Its one of the great miss-understandings of the Sand Castle People.

Latest posts