CLT F/A Crew News- Robert Isom

Ok, being an original US employee let's just say that this management team has given us NOTHING to be proud of. They make decisions that continuously leave us apologizing to the customer. You are in a dream world of sorts apparently. Ok, WHAT have they done for the likes of you, me or the customer? Yeah, they have HUGE fan club outside of the employees as well. Kill off the original US side or something like that? Yeah the team from the west is incredible when it comes to managing a carrier. Oh this isn't even worthy.....moving on. :rolleyes:

I did'nt say anything about the "west" in my post. Although I could have. Whether or not you think or like the way Tempe and/or west mgmt. operate the airline is irrelevant.
The fact is that the airline is making money now!

Proud? When, honestly was the last time US employees exhibited any sign of pride in their company?
Do you think pre-merger US had a good reputation in the industry?? I think many here seem to forget.

At the start of this merger more than one friend from the east told me ( in so many words)
"don't get tied up with them...or if you do...eliminate the old US culture and mentality before it drags you down too"! I doubted them before, now I am begining to believe it.

I can tell you one thing for sure though......NEVER would you have seen west employees rooting AGAINST their company/CEO and with a Senator in a dispute over potential job growth! Even if a majority thought the company's position was wrong! In the end we all wanted to see HP succeed.
The solid majority of us west folks were proud of our carrier and very much regret the fact that the energy and enthusiasm we held for our company's success is being sucked down into the morass of bickering, self-destruction and back biting going on now since this thing was put together.
It can't be denied....it is what it is. Now lets try to make it work huh?

I dunno....I think a little perspective is necessary in order to understand the situation. First thing, "how do other carriers do it?" CO in EWR? DL in JFK?

I understand your point...but the part that provides a clear disconnect in that logic is that "hubs and happy employees are being managed in the Northeast."

The point I think is important is not only has the old US culture not been killed off, but DP and gang have actually succeeded at "enhancing" it, if you will, and making it worse.

When HP and DP's gang came along, I believe the overwhelming majority were happy and hopeful. Happy to have managers like Wolf, Gungwall and Siegel gone. These were execs that leveraged HEAVILY off the employees. Wolf got something like $10 Million and Gungwall $3 Million, JUST for proposing the UA/US merger...that failed. Now, I don't care who says what, if you are working hard and doing your best...for $40K....or $250K...that just smacks of stupidity....to get paid a LOT of money to fail in your attempt. Siegel got, I believe, $7 Million to get out of dodge.

Thats the perspective....the good people in the east are just sick of being leveraged on. And who can blame them?

Now, you get HP and DP in...and there is optimism....only to see them not only leverage even harder off them...but turn the airline into the laughing stock of modern aviation.

Your point isn't wrong...I don't think...but where you are assigning the blame, from my vantage point, is.

Flip it around....CO has an ENTIRELY different corporate culture. Entirely. Their pension plan is....get this...OVER-FUNDED! Their management isn't making headlines for getting HUGE bonuses while their employees are scrapping for a 3% raise....they actually went to their pilots group, something like 18 months early, to open negotiations to get everyone where they want to go.

Yes, the old culture needed/needs to be killed off...and the new miss-management team TOTALLY squandered an opportunity to do just that.

Right....see above....EVERYONE is now firmly in an "us against them." And, frankly, DP handled that ALL wrong...and came off looking silly. Forget all the venom spewed by many, myself included...he just isn't being honest...instead of making excuses, he would be better off saying, "the base simply does not fit into out plans, period." Instead, he tries to make all these lack of profit excuses...while others move in. What did I see in "About US" a couple weeks back that had me stunned....someone asked the exact question, "why can't we as an LCC make a profit yet others can?" And the answer was just the dumbest answer I've ever seen...."we've discontinued all the routes that don't compete with other LCCs." (Something to that affect.) I mean, that almost HAD to be a typo.

Could be.....and we all remember Eastern and Pan Am amongst others that disappeared with ticked off people. ESPECIALLY Eastern.

But consider this: Great leadership is able to set the tone. Look at what we have in DC now as the President. REGARDLESS of where one resides politcally, the great failing of this President and Administration is their inability to get people onto the same page. We all remember how people HATED Regan and his conservative philosophy....and Clinton and his polticial genius. But these guys managed, despite their enemies, to get people moving in a common direction.

This miss-management team has not, can not do it. They've shown ZERO ability to get people moving in one direction...and a great reason why is they are not concerned with their most valuable asset, their people, first and foremost. They are living their lives through George, Abe, Alexander, Ben, etc...and not looking at the impact it's having on the people and product.

As a customer...and a family member of US Airways....I find it sad.

I now HATE the product...and have more or less moved my flying to CO and UA. I hate the pricing of the product...and I see, first hand, daily, the silly things from the eyes of a family member and loved one. I see that person TRYING to do their job to the best of their ability...trying for example, to get a flight out on time, only to be ready to go and say to a poorly paid and trained newbie G/A, "we need weight and balances please" and the agent says, "oh, thats right" and then disappear....meaning the flight leaves 20 minutes late. That's just ridiculous.

So, you can blame east culture...and I understand what you are saying...but at some point, there must be leadership that understands it and can find a way to solve it, not just beat them and say, "TS."

And paying people low wages and beating them won't get it done....unfortunately, the cost of living in New York, Boston or Washington DC is just VERY different then the Pacific Northwest....or Southwest...or Midwest. Its one of the great miss-understandings of the Sand Castle People.

Vantheman63...

I agree with you on at least one point!

I do think DP and co. have not done a good job in attempting to pay people what they are worth and while communication is good ( town-halls, crew news etc..) pay and trying to "buy off labour" has not been done well.
Continental is a great example of that and they have done a masterful job there at doing that and making everyone part of a team.
I think US mgmt. has been trying to get everyone on one page, but maybe mergers are just too difficult to pull off between employee groups that are so different?

Anyway....lets hope we can move through these rough patches and come out a stronger group.

I did'nt say anything about the "west" in my post. Although I could have. Whether or not you think or like the way Tempe and/or west mgmt. operate the airline is irrelevant.
The fact is that the airline is making money now!

Proud? When, honestly was the last time US employees exhibited any sign of pride in their company?
Do you think pre-merger US had a good reputation in the industry?? I think many here seem to forget.
[snipped stuff]
Now lets try to make it work huh?
=========================================================
Pride? How about when I first donned that US Air burnt/red/orange brass and climbed into a DC9? Take a walk in terminal 4. Just look at any uniformed employee--most would have been sent home for showing up to work the way they appear. Take a walk into the headquarters building. Same thing. Or the hangar, or the flight center.

I do want to see this thing work, yet daily decisions to run on the cheap are made that further denigrate our airline. Sloppy is as sloppy does. What a mess.

The outward appearance affects everything. One of the first things that continental did to turn around was paint and clean EVERYTHING. Witness the pictures of the bowels of PHL, or for that matter anywhere for further examples.

I think US mgmt. has been trying to get everyone on one page, but maybe mergers are just too difficult to pull off between employee groups that are so different?

Anyway....lets hope we can move through these rough patches and come out a stronger group.
I believe the idea that this is the fault of "merged employee groups" does not properly assign accountability. And it excuses miss-management.

At the end of the day, the leadership is charged with understanding and merging corporate cultures. It can be done. And I would agree on some points the current miss-management has made an attempt...like boarding priorities for non-revs for example.

I hope it gets fixed. I have been an "Elite" flyer with US since 1989....and CP for a long, long time. The airline, on the east, was once a joy to fly. It is no more....and that's part of what must be fixed....the product is just lousy now....a major reason the merging of the two cultures isn't working. The old US, for as "gone" as the old culture needs overhauling, proudly put a SUPERB product together and NEVER let the customers see some of the ugliness that existed between them and their management.

It's just completely unacceptable the way these people show up unprepared and uninformed. There is no excuse.

There's no excuse for the blatant ignorance of the culture of the airline's employees, it's hub and focus cities, and most importantly it's customers. They alienate their customers and humiliate their employees with a non-stop series of apalling blunders and frighteningly cheap and unsophisticated decisions that normally have to be reversed.

They have to realize that they have to run a major airline with an international and business presence differently than they ran their shoestring, high turnover budget gamblers-and-drunks airline. Do these people have a computer to do some Googling? Or a friend they can have lunch with? Go find out about things instead of showing up and displaying just how amateur and incompetent you are. I feel sorry for those west employees who feel this is acceptable just because it seems to be going okay in their small part of the picture. I know some very smart west employees who find this mismanagement's tomfoolery unacceptable too, so it's not just us cold, mean east coasters.

What was the old Allegheny/USAir culture that needs to be gotten rid of anyway? When I came east in 1991 all I found
here were hard working, proud employees. In PIT, BUF, DCA, PHL or wherever.
Reputation wise, US was never in the top tier as were AA, DL and UA. Smaller, local airlines were unfairly penalized for
their lack of coast-to-coast gravitas, so to speak (just as HP may have been). In reality, however, in the much maligned Wolf
era USAirways's service was excellent. Mr. Wolf provided US the tools to get it there. Doug can do the same, but so far has not seemed able or willing to, which I think is why you have the venting on this board.

I would like to have some pride in a well run efficient airline.

The computer system they have forced on us makes it IMPOSSIBLE to be efficient.

It is light years behind a proven system like Sabre.

Every day is an embarrassment. It is slow sloooooooooo slooooooow.

Prior to switching over to QIK, we were not at the bottom of the DOT for delays, baggage and complaints. This is the worse I've seen in a multi decade career.

yvrusfa what has this company done to make an employee feel proud? We have reservation agents fixing messes constantly done by overseas res. The old management sent reservations overseas and this new management isn't so quick to bring it back so anyway. Throw in the website and it just makes the agents jobs worse.;../ You have folks working on the ground that still have broken equipment or not enough of them to do the job. You have pilots in a tiff over their own issues and an uncooperative management negotiating with ANYONE. Inflight is dealing with a product that flight attendants are embarrassed to deliver and passengers are appalled to receive. You want us to feel proud? I take pride in putting on a clean, pressed uniform, hell I even know a guy who carries a FULL sized can of Niagara starch in his bag. :lol: Self pride and pride in your company are TWO different things. The delusion of all all of us singing, "We Are The Champions" while management screws up left and right day in and day our are ludicrous.

This board is pretty ridiculous, but anyhow.

Isom has only been to one Crew News and there were lots of new hires in the class, so there is nothing wrong with him asking that question at his 2nd crew news. The world does not revolve around knowing everything about East FA's and East FA Training before walking into the room especially with something as trivial as asking a question that the bashers think is ridiculous. Isom is there to allow FA's to ask questions and to inform the workforce on things that affect the FA life, something the East never got from management in the past and also something that many take for granted. Yes, west crews have layovers in CLT and yes, west new hires may have visited the the CLT Training center.

I would like to have some pride in a well run efficient airline.

The computer system they have forced on us makes it IMPOSSIBLE to be efficient.

It is light years behind a proven system like Sabre.

Every day is an embarrassment. It is slow sloooooooooo slooooooow.

Prior to switching over to QIK, we were not at the bottom of the DOT for delays, baggage and complaints. This is the worse I've seen in a multi decade career.
No one will like my saying this but the last time I had pride in the airline I worked for was before the merger and I was still under the employment of Piedmont Airlines. They took care of their employees and their customers.

Hey, Luggage Boy! You got a problem with my bottle of starch?! And for the record it Faultless Lemon Scent not Niagra :lol: I can't be looking like one of these flight attendants that just got shot out of a cannon from the Lagoon right into the B terminal just running an egg beater through the hair. I always take some personal pride. It's does take up a lot of my roller board but we all have plight in life.

This board is pretty ridiculous, but anyhow.

Isom has only been to one Crew News and there were lots of new hires in the class, so there is nothing wrong with him asking that question at his 2nd crew news. The world does not revolve around knowing everything about East FA's and East FA Training before walking into the room especially with something as trivial as asking a question that the bashers think is ridiculous. Isom is there to allow FA's to ask questions and to inform the workforce on things that affect the FA life, something the East never got from management in the past and also something that many take for granted. Yes, west crews have layovers in CLT and yes, west new hires may have visited the the CLT Training center.

Oh my, who turned on the cool aid fountain? Well "Spinner", don't read the boards. You can always go knit.