East Airbus Reconfiguration

I agree that US definitely needs to enhance the FC experience for the customer. It seems that most airlines are taking steps to upgrde their F product, so hopefully US will think of something. Like US1YFARE said, US has devalued FC. I heard someone who was actually impressed by the US First product, but they proceeded to compare it to FLs Business Class! Reconfiguring the 319/320s is one thing, but US needs a plane with a larger F cabin for the transcons, whether it be the 321 or 757. It would be nice if they kept the 28 A321s curerntly in the fleet at the current configuration to use for transcons and then used the new A321s with the 16F/167Y configuration for high density, north-south markets. Probably unlikely, but it's still something to hope for.

Art, we have to make this clear....LCC does not mean Low Cost Carrier to the consumer, it simply means " Low Cost Carrier", an airline that operates with lower costs. While the company would like to offer the lowest fare, this is not always going to be the case...some fares are higher than others..seat availablity and market will drive those prices.

UW,

You are incorrect. To an outsider, LCC means low cost low fare carrier. There has to be a balance. You can't cheapen your product and still charge consistently higher fares, because then you remove the value from the transaction.

Also, bear in mind that I never advocated LOWEST fares, or LOSER fares, I advocate RATIONAL fares, similar to what HP had before the merger. To charge $900 r/t LGA-CLT "because someone will pay it" is unacceptable in this day and age--if you topped it out at around $450 you'd have more people flying at the last minute and average fares would climb, so would overall revenue. Those of us who fly every week and spend tens of thousands a year are tired of subsidizing Ma and Pa Kettle who want to fly once a year for $49.

You have to be competitive on both ends--price AND product.
I'm off to catch my US West Flight...
My best to you all.....

Perhaps all those signs saying "World's Largest Low Fare Carrier" are confusing the customers.....

Jim
THEY just LOVE to ignore that little fact that you and I point out over and over and over. it is just another example of THEM talking out both sides of their mouth

Perhaps all those signs saying "World's Largest Low Fare Carrier" are confusing the customers.....

Jim

I do love when the "low fare carrier" is thrown around. I have to work in New Rochelle, NY next week. I have to fly on Monday, Sept 18th with a return on Friday, Sept 22nd.

I have 2 options. I can fly into HPN or LGA. Take a guess at which airport I'm going to fly in to?

here is the US website research....

Depart Arrive Flight # and Details
8:20 AM 18 Sep 2006
Pittsburgh, PA 10:08 AM 18 Sep 2006
White Plains, NY Flight: 4208
Class: Coach Dehavilland Dash 8
On-Time: N/A Meal: None
Travel Time: 1 h 48 m
Return Arrive Flight # and Details
6:29 PM 22 Sep 2006
White Plains, NY 7:42 PM 22 Sep 2006
Pittsburgh, PA Flight: 3987
Class: Coach Canadair Regional Jet
On-Time: N/A Meal: None
Travel Time: 1 h 13 m
Flight operated by Piedmont Airlines doing business as US Airways Express
Flight operated by Air Wisconsin doing business as US Airways Express

Summary (1 Passenger)
Base Fare $1,204.00

Taxes and Fees $20.60

Grand Total $1,224.60

Passenger Type Adult
Base Fare
PIT to HPN - Fare Basis B6 $615.81
HPN to PIT - Fare Basis HA7N1 $504.19
Adjusted Base Fare $1,120.00
Tax: US Domestic Percentage $84.00
Fare $1,204.00
Tax: US Domestic Segment $6.60
Fee: US Passenger Facility Charge $9.00
September 11 Security Fee $5.00
Total Per Passenger $1,224.60
Number of Passengers 1
Total by Passenger Type $1,224.60

OR

Depart Arrive Flight # and Details
9:40 AM 18 Sep 2006
Pittsburgh, PA 10:58 AM 18 Sep 2006
New York, NY (Laguardia) Flight: 1856
Class: Coach Boeing 737-400
On-Time: 70-80% Meal: None
Travel Time: 1 h 18 m
Return Arrive Flight # and Details
3:35 PM 22 Sep 2006
New York, NY (Laguardia) 5:03 PM 22 Sep 2006
Pittsburgh, PA Flight: 1081
Class: Coach Boeing 737-400
On-Time: 60-70% Meal: None
Travel Time: 1 h 28 m

Summary (1 Passenger)
Base Fare $208.00

Taxes and Fees $20.60

Grand Total $228.60

Passenger Type Adult
Base Fare
PIT to LGA - Fare Basis WA3N1B $101.40
LGA to PIT - Fare Basis KA7N1B $92.09
Adjusted Base Fare $193.49
Tax: US Domestic Percentage $14.51
Fare $208.00
Tax: US Domestic Segment $6.60
Fee: US Passenger Facility Charge $9.00
September 11 Security Fee $5.00
Total Per Passenger $228.60
Number of Passengers 1
Total by Passenger Type $228.60

Now why would I fly on EXPRESS in a tight uncomfortable seat for $1000.00 extra? I don't understand airline pricing and guess I never will.

;)

Hey, look on the bright side. If you take the Dash, you could end up sitting beside someone connecting from LAS (and connecting back to LAS on your return) that paid $469 for their ticket. Isn't that worth $1000....

Jim

I agree that US definitely needs to enhance the FC experience for the customer. It seems that most airlines are taking steps to upgrde their F product, so hopefully US will think of something. Like US1YFARE said, US has devalued FC. I heard someone who was actually impressed by the US First product, but they proceeded to compare it to FLs Business Class! Reconfiguring the 319/320s is one thing, but US needs a plane with a larger F cabin for the transcons, whether it be the 321 or 757. It would be nice if they kept the 28 A321s curerntly in the fleet at the current configuration to use for transcons and then used the new A321s with the 16F/167Y configuration for high density, north-south markets. Probably unlikely, but it's still something to hope for.
There are only 26 Seats on the 321 at this time and that is way too much.

There are only 26 Seats on the 321 at this time and that is way too much.
With the current state of the industry, I applaud the Mgmnt in Tempe for addressing the A321 configuration. This a/c (capacity of 169) should have NEVER been configured in a 26F/143Y model. F/A staffing is based on ONE F/A per 50 seats, meaning that the 321 only was required to be staffed 4 which it currently IS scheduled. When this a/c first came online US staffed it with SIX......as the industry faced a downturn and post 9/11 cost cutting, positions were eliminated AND the service adjusted accordingly. I have NO ISSUES with providing a respectable product in the F/C cabin with a stream of revenue that reflects DEMAND.....otherwise it's Business, Economics 101.

Yes, you are right. I miscounted UAs seats - the 319s are 8F/112Y and the 320s are 16F/126F.

However, NW does not have closets on their 319/320 and UA does not have any on their 319s. Looking at SeatGuru.com, it seems that most airlines with the 737 and 320 do not have closets, excpets for AAs 738 and UAs 320, so I don't really see what everyone is so upset about.

NO - UA 320s have 12F 36E+ 90Y for a total of 138

not 16F...

Well the way I see it is if the company feels they need to add more seats to our a/c then so be it. If it brings in more revenue and they want less money from the employees, GREAT. They could sell the lav seats too for that matter. I do feel though that if your gonna have FC, have FC. Cram them in coach....lord knows that MOST not all but MOST passengers are paying low, low fares. This does however hurt our FF's somewhat in different markets. I don't think management is all that concerned about it though. OBVIOUSLY. The 321 reconfig couldn't happen soon enough.

I still find it hillarious that the new e190 will have 11 seats in f/c and east 757's have 8.

Somebody call the seat configuration :cop: !!

I still find it hillarious that the new e190 will have 11 seats in f/c and east 757's have 8.

Absolutely. I mean, your gonna use the E-190 between smaller thin markets with 11 f/c seats yet feel no need to increase the 757 from 8 seats that flies between our larger markets. Ummm HELLO? :rolleyes: Speaking of reconfiguration, remember how most of us were beside ourselves when "the garage" closet was taken out of the 757 fwd of the 2R door? :shock: Where will WE put our luggage? :unsure: ......we lived!

LCC,

Touche!

We have no issue with a "rationalization" of aircraft configurations, but there needs to be an adequate supply of F available for transcons. With the cutback in 321's it would only be logical to add some back to the 757's. US needs to remain competitive with other carriers if they are going to continue to charge the same if not higher fares.

Also, reducing seat pitch is a showstopper for many frequent fliers, and this could practically walk some customers right back to UA.

While I stand by our most FF's whole heartedly I must say that with the reconfig and some jumping ship, the planes will still be fuller than ever. With fares they way they are and people flying in record numbers we will just be carrying more cheap fliers. I just don't see how ANY of this is good for our FF's. Like I said before though, "If it brings in MORE money so be it. If I do remember correctly, there was word in one of the company Q&A's a while back that the 757 was going to go back to doing more Transcons like it did in the past. Does anyone remember reading that? While the 321 is a comfy plane from a customer view isn't the 757 better suited for transcon truly?

LCC,

Touche!

We have no issue with a "rationalization" of aircraft configurations, but there needs to be an adequate supply of F available for transcons. With the cutback in 321's it would only be logical to add some back to the 757's. US needs to remain competitive with other carriers if they are going to continue to charge the same if not higher fares.

Also, reducing seat pitch is a showstopper for many frequent fliers, and this could practically walk some customers right back to UA.

Art

I am convinced management could care less about the high end flier. It baffles the hell out of me, but it seems to be true. I am so tired of calling our substandard FC First Class. It isn't even Business Class.

I've said it and I'll say it again, that section needs to be rebranded as ENHANCED ECONOMY with an automatic upgrade for CP first down to Sliver with full fare getting priority. There should be no Enhanced Economy price as full fare would suffix for that.

Not First Class, but not BRANDED as such.

Latest posts