F/a Monthly Obligation

USAirBoyA330

Veteran
Aug 23, 2002
Well, Ms. Groff (VP of Inflight) didn't waist any time and sent out a CBS this afternoon telling everyone thier flying obigation has been increased by 5 hours across the board and 1 more trip for ITD, effective now. She stated that she hopes this will "offset" and loss of pay. What a hoot!

And for pilots:

With the ratification of LOA 93, the Company and the Association have agreed to implement a monthly flex cap for October to 90 hours for Line Holders, and a rolling 285 hour cap for Reserves. This flex is applicable to all equipment and positions. Both parties agree that since the pay reductions are retroactive to October 18, this will provide pilots some opportunity to offset the pay reduction.

Captain Ed Bular
VP Flight Operations

Wow, not sure how all that works with you guys, but I'd love to be able to get more hours a month guaranteed. 20 is the max right now a week we are getting. Would love to have loads of overtime * like some on here think we all can do to make things up a bit * , but its few and far between. I just hope that lots of people are sick over the holidays (me not being one of them) and they all have shifts different than I do so I can get some hours in. :p

USAirBoyA330 said:
Well, Ms. Groff (VP of Inflight) didn't waist any time and sent out a CBS this afternoon telling everyone thier flying obigation has been increased by 5 hours across the board and 1 more trip for ITD, effective now. She stated that she hopes this will "offset" and loss of pay. What a hoot!
[post="193814"][/post]​
Trust me...FAs will be jumping at the chance to fly another trip, espically on the ITD.

tadjr said:
Wow, not sure how all that works with you guys, but I'd love to be able to get more hours a month guaranteed. 20 is the max right now a week we are getting. Would love to have loads of overtime * like some on here think we all can do to make things up a bit * , but its few and far between. I just hope that lots of people are sick over the holidays (me not being one of them) and they all have shifts different than I do so I can get some hours in. :p
[post="193822"][/post]​

Actually, the "pay hours" aren't guaranteed, only the flying obligation has increased. Increased, mind you, with normal flight time pay (no overtime calculations for flight crew, no time and a half, etc.). So basically you are on the hook with scheduling for longer in the month with what will only result in a minimal "offset" from prior wages. What a joke. More time to sit around in the now unaffordable crash pads. Less time to commit to a part-time job. Ack. The additional flying will go senior off the AIL, and the reserves will be cooling their heels at their crash pad longer in the month.

The ITD guys and gals will benefit the most, with the additional 1 trip option (18 hour Rome sure sounds good, huh???) and the ITD reserves will most likely stand little chance of breaking guarantee.

Who knows. Maybe I'm misanalyzing it. JMHO.

tadjr,

For us pilots (and I think the F/A's) there is no such thing as overtime. No time-and-a-half or doubletime.

For most of us (excluding the trans-Atlantic, transcon, maybe Caribbean/Latin America) it takes about 2 hours on duty to get 1 hour of pay. So 90 pay hours equals up towards 180 hours on duty that month.

Jim

BoeingBoy said:
tadjr,

For us pilots (and I think the F/A's) there is no such thing as overtime. No time-and-a-half or doubletime.

[post="193830"][/post]​

Sorry, but I misspoke. Those of us who have been downgraded to part time have very little chance of actual "overtime". I just want the extra hours. If we work per company request more than 8 hours a day or 40 hours a week we are into overtime. For those of us part time guaranteed only 20 hours per week, we have to work a LOT of extra hours (or get a lucky break) to get into actual overtime. That would be nice for me right now, but I'm just looking at having a paycheck with more than 40 hours for 2 weeks. :down: Since I cant afford to do anything "extra" I have lots of spare time for working right now. :p

tadjr,

Sorry, I misunderstood. And I can certainly see your point. Similiar to the flight crews on reserve - sitting around more waiting to be called without any guarantee of making more (as BostonTerrier said).

Jim

Okay,

Here's a question... What does this mean for those of us (flight attendants) that have already called out of time? I am on the ITD 5 trip option and completed my 5 trips a few days ago. CAN THE COMPANY REQUIRE ME TO RETURN TO BASE NOW EVEN THOUGH I'M ALREADY O/T according to the original 5 trip requirement... or does this provision only apply to those who have not yet completed a 5th trip??? Please advise.

This is b.s. If they want everyone to fly 5 more hours or one more trip they should start it for Nov. There's only one week left in oct. and we're supposed to cram more time into the month on this short of notice?

Call in and listen to the scheduling update for your base. They read off Judge Mitchell's order and give nice examples on how you can gain more time. And YES if you are a 95-105 blockholder then you have just become a 100-110 blockholder and are required to fly 95:01 or 105:01 for OCT. I can just see the "low block" letters being prepared now. Happy flying :D

I think the 75 hour option is still availiable for pilots ,so how can we sign up? (We have now entered the law of diminishing returns.)

Anyone know the OFFICIAL "TIME AND DATE" OF THIS CBS MESSAGE to up your hours?
And, if you dont up your hours?....Notice of short block hours?

SKY HIGH said:
Anyone know the OFFICIAL "TIME AND DATE" OF THIS CBS MESSAGE to up your hours?
And, if you dont up your hours?....Notice of short block hours?
[post="194453"][/post]​

22 Oct 04 1611 Hours and don't know about short block letters. But I did notice that reserves that already called out of time are still marked OT.

NO SHORT BLOCK HOUR LETTERS.

The company is asking everyone to fly an extra 5 Hours becaue of the sick calls, and the reserves can't call "out of time" unless they exceed five hours above their option max.

However, no letters for not getting that extra time in.

Next month may be different. AFA is getting the information from the company and will post what their intent is here with the increase flying obligation that has been imposed.