Final Union Faces Deadline

USA320Pilot

Veteran
May 18, 2003
www.usaviation.com
Final union faces deadline

See Story

There is reason to believe that the IAM Maintenance Trainers and FSA's are making progress towards reaching their revised "ask", which is larger than before bankruptcy. However, sources indicate that progress has been slow for the IAM Mechanics and Utility workers.

The initial IAM counterproposals made immediately prior to the end of the S.1113 hearing trade job losses for savings elsewhere, such as increased productivity and reduced wages.

The parties are now actively negotiating and management has said a "deal could be structured in a way to preserve more jobs by, for instance, accepting deeper pay cuts."

See Story

In conclusion, the six unions who have new labor accords or TA's all have met their increased "ask" with the AFA finding creative ways to lower the company's labor expense and meeting their needs. Let's hope the same thing can occur for all 3 IAM units instead of "imposition", which is in nobody's best interest.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

As for the Mechainic and Related:

December 17, 2004
File: USA-18
2004-151

The District 142 1113© and 1114 committees are directing our full energies and best efforts to reach consensual agreements with US Airways. However, US Airways is adamant that all their cost cutting targets must be met.

We expect to have either a tentative agreement that is fair and just or, failing that, the company’s final offer to present to the membership for review and ratification before the bankruptcy court issues a ruling.

We understand that much needs to be done in order to reach an agreement and complete the ratification process in such a short time frame, especially over the holidays, but your negotiators are committed to getting it done.

Sincerely and fraternally,

William O'Driscoll
PRESIDENT-DIRECTING
GENERAL CHAIRMAN

Bill Freiberger, Tony Giammarco
GENERAL CHAIRPERSONS

Tom Regan
SPECIAL REPRESENTATIVE

Tom Belmont, Bill Hoogenhout, Frank Schifano
Negotiating Committee

PLEASE POST ON ALL IAM BULLETIN BOARDS

Now how about your opinion on this senario........The company and the IAM are unable to reach an agreement and the judge abrogates the contract. The mechanics and related walk and the ramp does not cross the picket lines....do you agree the company is toast? I realize there is a possiblity the judge would prohibit "self help" but even if he would productivity would come to a halt! The 1-800-fed number would be smoking with issues and I believe the airline would have to seriously curtail scheduling untill replacement workers could come on line and then it would get really ugly.......

AP Tech:

AP Tech asked: "Now how about your opinion on this senario?"

USA320Pilot answers: If "imposition" occurs it will be interesting to see how the "self help" issue plays out. Will the judge, NMB through the RLA, PEB, or even congress prevent a job action? Nobody knows because it has never been tested, however, I believe the court and the government will prevent a strike or other job aciton.

Will the parties above permit the company to fail over a job action and 34,000 jobs lost and the creditors harmed?

The company is prepared for a job action with security, cameras, and other tools ready for their disposal. Could it get ugly? Sure, but maybe that is what the company really wants.

With contractors, replacement workers, outsourcing, and current employees who are willing to work under the company's last offer, which I believe has not been presented yet, will this be enough to operate the airline?

It's too bad that the IAM refused to negotiate until just before the S.1113 hearings ended. With 6 unions reaching their increased "ask", the ATSB agreement, the GE deal, and creditor committee support of the company, it will be very difficult for the IAM to not reach their "ask", otherwise the union could lose a lot of dues paying members.

Do I like this? No, of course not, but as you know, I believe every union should have come up with a new agreement prior to bankruptcy because every employee has or will take a deeper cut than was necessary. Regardless, there is nothing we can do about the past and let's hope this turns out the best it can for all parties.

Meanwhile, just like with the A320 outsourcing offer, I understand the company is open to a cost effective solution that meet’s the needs of the IAM and its members and meet's the cost cuts now required by the financial community.

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot

There would be no need for security cameras as nobody I know would ever risk their career by damanging aircraft or equipment. Take a walk around your a/c sometime and count the dents or scrapes.....hope they all are documented in the damage file....... B) If they want to force it to get ugly then let it happen and I bet U will be out of business in under a month. Do I want this to happen no, do I have a choice other than voting myself out of a job, no. To quote Bruce "I wish I never took this job" ;)

First of all the law have not changed since CAL went on strike after an abrogation, the only thing that has changed is the steps to take place before an abrogation.

A PEB or the NMB have no jurisdiction during an abrogation or what takes place after one occurs, A PEB or the NMB only matters during Section 6 (traditional negotiations) which is not occurring. A strike will occur after an abrogation and other unions will honor the picket line (except ALPA) we all know that group will not honor any picket line as they did not in 1992 and made a secret deal to fly over the picket lines and ALL ALPA members get paid for flying or not.

The IAM Mechanic and Related Negotiating Committee has been meeting with the company at CCY since November 2nd at least four days every week since that date.

Something you would not know about since you have not been in Negotiations, you are not a member of the IAM or on the IAM Negotiating Committee, nor are you a member of management nor on the management negotiating committee, have not seen any ALPA member or YOU present during the talks.

The counters have been given to the company and the ball is in their court if they want an agreement that can be ratified or take the path of destruction.

Lets see ALPA crossed the picket line and the company grounded the DC9s, MD80s, F28s and F100 EVERY pilot got paid as long as ALPA would cross the picket line.

The Gate Agents and Fleet Service were NON-UNION, they had to come to work, the F/As honored the picket line and had a court order them back to work and send the issue to arbitration which the AFA won.

And yes there were pilots that cleaned planes while the M&R were on strike.

ALPA is not a trade union it is a do what is good for me club and screw everyone else.

How quickly you forget.

700UW:

700UW said: "Something you would not know about since you have not been in Negotiations, you are not a member of the IAM or on the IAM Negotiating Committee, nor are you a member of management nor on the management negotiating committee, have not seen any ALPA member or YOU present during the talks."

USA320Pilot comments: I suggest you look at the S.1113 filings, review materials with the company, and talk to other attorney's, versus Ms. Levine. The S.1113 process has never been fully tested and nobody knows what will occur, but the IAM has placed them self in a very, very difficult position. I know, I know, when is it going to get "painful", right...

Remember it's only a job.

By the way, who said first on this board that ALPA would get a TA, the ALPA DC Plan would be changed, the CWA would be next to get a deal followed by the AFA? The only union to publicly announce the concession stand is closed and stall is the IAM and now that the S.1113 hearings are over, the union is screaming that the company wants excessive cost cuts. Well guess what? You have been repeatedly told that the longer you wait to cut a deal the greater the cuts could be and now the company needs more concessions with only one union left...

Finally, as I have said all along the IAM desires "imposition" so they do not have to make the tough decisions. Then during closing arguments Levine tells Mitchell the union will send out the company's last offer. What can the judge do? Agree to the company's or unions position, which the union has not been argued or had a valuation assigned in court. In my opinion, that was a dumb move because the IAM "pain" will be greater due to failed union leadership.

Every US Airways union except the IAM units has a new labor accord or TA that meets the company’s ask. Since the whole business plan requires full participation or the business enterprise will fail Mitchell has no option but to force “impositionâ€￾, if the IA M cannot reach a new labor accord.

A union should bet its members the best deal possible, not protect the union at a member’s expense with excessive cuts, which appears to be happening to US Airways IAM represented employees. Do I like this? No, of course not, but the IAM has backed itself into a corner and let's hope there is a way out for the rank-and-file.

Best regards,

USA320Pilot

USA320PILOT,

Don't count on the government getting involved in the self help issue. I am sure that the ATSB board is VERY SORRY that they EVER backed USAIR. If I was a Mechanic there and the company had my contract abrogated, I would even come back to work F*^K a strike!

The government is going to sit on the side lines during the demise of USAIR and UniTED, count on it :up: .

How can the company expect the IAM members to ratify a contract that eliminates the majority of their jobs? If this is truly what the company wants there is NO WAY anyone in their right mind would vote for it IMHO. Savy

USA320Pilot said:
700UW:

Finally, as I have said all along the IAM desires "imposition" so they do not have to make the tough decisions.
Best regards,
USA320Pilot
[post="229822"][/post]​

You are wrong again, you are not an IAM member nor on the Negotiating Committee, you have no idea what is going on, just like you said the IAM is not negotiating yet the NC has been there 4 days a week since Novermber 2nd. See I know exactly what is going on and you don't, you speculate and then act like it is fact. You are not at CCY and not in the room, you are making things up.

The IAM Leadership and the NC are not wanting imposition, the IAM is trying to come up with something that can be ratified, the company on the other hand does not care and wants what they want and no union can get anything ratified that will eliminate 50% of the workers. Since you are not an ALPA rep and never have been one nor are you on the ALPA negotiating committee I can understand why you have no idea what you speak about.

The IAM will do what is best for its members it does not need ALPA's interference.

Guess you have never learned. From ALPA:

We urge all pilots to contact their reps or the Comm Center for accurate updates on restructuring negotiations and the activity of other unions. We also request that all pilots refrain from promoting any management anti-union propaganda or chastise other employees in the media. There is little to be gained from such activity other than embarrassment for yourself, your fellow pilots, US Airways, and ALPA.

Gee who is ALPA talking about?

Lakefield want the IAM to "go quietly." Go ahead, vote yourself out of a job. Lakefield needs to know that if he abrogates the IAM contract, he's committing corporate suicide.

When U fails it will be totally and completely the fault of this abysmal management team. . . . . although they will try and blame those greedy employees for demanding respect and a fair shake. The truth is, it probably doesn't matter if the IAM would agree to everything Lakefield wants. He and his knuckleheads aren't smart enough to run the airline even if everybody worked for free.

Winglet said:
Lakefield want the IAM to "go quietly." Go ahead, vote yourself out of a job. Lakefield needs to know that if he abrogates the IAM contract, he's committing corporate suicide.

When U fails it will be totally and completely the fault of this abysmal management team. . . . . although they will try and blame those greedy employees for demanding respect and a fair shake. The truth is, it probably doesn't matter if the IAM would agree to everything Lakefield wants. He and his knuckleheads aren't smart enough to run the airline even if everybody worked for free.
[post="229872"][/post]​

they wouldnt even be smart enough to run this ship even if we had to pay them 5 or 10 bucks just to come to work!