Good News...More Flight Attendant recalls

I can't comment on your strike, but you can comment on mine?

I actually was "educated" about the soon to be returning 86'ers by a former TWA gal I shared a jumpseat with not too long ago. She was the one who was none too happy about their return. She even told me that during the furloughs in 2002, once the 86'ers were on the chopping block, that many at TWA LLC refused to take an Overage Leave because they did not want to save the job of an 86'er. My contact with former TWA'ers in the workplace has been somewhat limited, so I was surprised to hear her mention that so many of her TWA colleagues still keep tabs of who worked and who did not. She was the one who indicated to me that they will most likely not honor a job action.

As for voting, I agree with you 100%. I was especially shocked to see the low voter turnout at LGA, where former TWA'ers are growing in numbers. Sweet Willie didn't get invited back. Voter apathy is everywhere and not just at AA. My friends at SW and CO say there turn outs are just as low.

You are welcome to comment on the strike and its "merits". (as I did on yours) I don't think anyone at AA has the right to make judgements on our crossovers just as I would not make judgements on yours. This is a country built on the freedom of choice. In the end only the person can decide what is right or wrong. And you have to be able to wake up every morning and look yourself in the mirror and be proud of what you've done. In '86 I know of people who crossed because of insurance. One had an ill child in the middle of life saving treatments, another had a spouse in the same boat. Some were sole providers. TWA started a masterful psychological campaign before our strike. You are not worthy, you are glorified waitstaff, you cannot get another job, you have been coddled, you are not productive and many people believed them. We were from the era of being told from the beginning that WE were the best of the best, the chosen and being hired to fly for TWA was the Holy Grail (I got the same speach at PanAm) And the funny thing is we actually believed them..lol So the bottom line is there will always be people that still hold a grudge after 25 years. I chose not to live in someone else's decision because I could only speak to my own choice. I wound up with Pride and Dignity but financially lost enough that I would never recoop the loss. MK might have another perspective. You never forget but you can choose to forgive. I never had ill feelings towards the "new hires" due to age and lack of union education. There were those that joined the picket line right out of training. Then we were "locked out", OZ purchased and the rest is history.

I hope your union thinks very carefully before putting you all out on strike. If released and a contract not signed in the 30 day cooling off, I think you will be in for a rude surprise and I honestly don't wish that on any one of you. It is "fun" the first couple of weeks and then reality hits hard. I blame your union and feel frustration with the voting apathy of the rank and file. "Games" are being played with your lives and livelyhood.

Reactions: 1 person
You are welcome to comment on the strike and its "merits". (as I did on yours) I don't think anyone at AA has the right to make judgements on our crossovers just as I would not make judgements on yours. This is a country built on the freedom of choice. In the end only the person can decide what is right or wrong. And you have to be able to wake up every morning and look yourself in the mirror and be proud of what you've done. In '86 I know of people who crossed because of insurance. One had an ill child in the middle of life saving treatments, another had a spouse in the same boat. Some were sole providers. TWA started a masterful psychological campaign before our strike. You are not worthy, you are glorified waitstaff, you cannot get another job, you have been coddled, you are not productive and many people believed them. We were from the era of being told from the beginning that WE were the best of the best, the chosen and being hired to fly for TWA was the Holy Grail (I got the same speach at PanAm) And the funny thing is we actually believed them..lol So the bottom line is there will always be people that still hold a grudge after 25 years. I chose not to live in someone else's decision because I could only speak to my own choice. I wound up with Pride and Dignity but financially lost enough that I would never recoop the loss. MK might have another perspective. You never forget but you can choose to forgive. I never had ill feelings towards the "new hires" due to age and lack of union education. There were those that joined the picket line right out of training. Then we were "locked out", OZ purchased and the rest is history.

I hope your union thinks very carefully before putting you all out on strike. If released and a contract not signed in the 30 day cooling off, I think you will be in for a rude surprise and I honestly don't wish that on any one of you. It is "fun" the first couple of weeks and then reality hits hard. I blame your union and feel frustration with the voting apathy of the rank and file. "Games" are being played with your lives and livelyhood.
You're barking up the wrong tree here.... Your info relates to 1986 and TWA. This is 2011 and American Airlines... Two totally different worlds here.... Thanks for your input but...

You're barking up the wrong tree here.... Your info relates to 1986 and TWA. This is 2011 and American Airlines... Two totally different worlds here.... Thanks for your input but...

History is the best predictor of the future. I see many similarities. It will all come down to whether AA needs labor peace for a financial transaction. Then and only then, you'll get a contract. Your union went into this round of talks woefully unprepared adn have now backed themselves into a corner.

History is the best predictor of the future. I see many similarities. It will all come down to whether AA needs labor peace for a financial transaction. Then and only then, you'll get a contract. Your union went into this round of talks woefully unprepared adn have now backed themselves into a corner.
Where's the IAM when you need them Nancy ?? ..... If we only had them....
Darn, stuck with the "woefully unprepared APFA"....

Where's the IAM when you need them Nancy ?? ..... If we only had them....
Darn, stuck with the "woefully unprepared APFA"....

LOL..no arguement there. I was not a member, never voted for them and am working with the UAL AFA supporters to ensure the IAM NEVER represents another f/a group. That being said, do you honestly think it would have mattered re: LPPs?
I don't like the IAM for their structure, white ballot voting, and their dues alloting. In any round of negotiations there is only one pie to be divided. The IAM is always going to ensure the mechanics get their slice first. (and they don't know the difference between SCOPE and LPPs)

LOL..no arguement there. I was not a member, never voted for them and am working with the UAL AFA supporters to ensure the IAM NEVER represents another f/a group. That being said, do you honestly think it would have mattered re: LPPs?
I don't like the IAM for their structure, white ballot voting, and their dues alloting. In any round of negotiations there is only one pie to be divided. The IAM is always going to ensure the mechanics get their slice first. (and they don't know the difference between SCOPE and LPPs)
Interesting.... Have a buddy over at UAL and he's pushing so hard for the IAM.... glad it's not my deal for once.

Interesting.... Have a buddy over at UAL and he's pushing so hard for the IAM.... glad it's not my deal for once.

Advise your friend to get a copy of the International Constitution and By-Laws and actually read it. The District 142 C&B is on their website. All members of the District get to vote for your General Chairs.. Since they might not know those running the IAM sends out a "we recommend" ballot (white ballot) and chances are you will never elect anyone they don't want. They are making the same promises of autonomy that they made us when they raided our independent union.

Advise your friend to get a copy of the International Constitution and By-Laws and actually read it. The District 142 C&B is on their website. All members of the District get to vote for your General Chairs.. Since they might not know those running the IAM sends out a "we recommend" ballot (white ballot) and chances are you will never elect anyone they don't want. They are making the same promises of autonomy that they made us when they raided our independent union.
Thank you Nancy, I'll pass the info onto him.

Hmmm. Someone out for two years, vs. someone out for a really long weekend...

I'd say that any of the TW or EA strikers earned the right to trump any other AA employee's claim to being a subject matter expert on what it means to be out on strike.

Hell, some APFA members weren't really even strikers, because they either called in sick, or hadn't been scheduled to work a trip during those five days...

And since you have never walked a picket line.... You are no authority to judge the fact!

And since you have never walked a picket line.... You are no authority to judge the fact!

No, I've never walked a picket line and I've also never crossed one to perform struck work.

I did spend the better part of 1996 analyzing the flight attendant strike and building contingency plans in preparation for the 5 minute pilot strike... and we spent a lot of time looking at the percentages on who crossed & when, as well as how many avoided confrontation altogether and simply called in sick. I still have my notes on this somewhere, but I'm not going to waste the time to dig them out until there's actually a cooling off period declared... it will be interesting to see how much of that plan is still in use.

No, I've never walked a picket line and I've also never crossed one to perform struck work.

I did spend the better part of 1996 analyzing the flight attendant strike and building contingency plans in preparation for the 5 minute pilot strike... and we spent a lot of time looking at the percentages on who crossed & when, as well as how many avoided confrontation altogether and simply called in sick. I still have my notes on this somewhere, but I'm not going to waste the time to dig them out until there's actually a cooling off period declared... it will be interesting to see how much of that plan is still in use.

It will be very interesting to see how many call in "sick" hoping a strike will be of short duration. I hold those folks in more contempt than those who cross. At least those crossing had the ***** to take a stand.

Yes, those who chose to call in sick on not strike were called "Medi-scabs." They were very frowned upon. Almost as much as SCABS themselves.

It will be very interesting to see how many call in "sick" hoping a strike will be of short duration. I hold those folks in more contempt than those who cross. At least those crossing had the ***** to take a stand.

This is a very interesting comment from you considering what your Coalition was advocating. Do you now advocate all former TWA FA's strike if the APFA calls one?

This is a very interesting comment from you considering what your Coalition was advocating. Do you now advocate all former TWA FA's strike if the APFA calls one?

Honor your strike? Yes we will if you honor our seniority. APFA is the worst F/A union I have ever seen. Laura is the biggest failure of a Union leader that I have ever seen. Don't forget she negotiated the RPA for NOTHING in return. Incest is best at APFA.

Your not a trade unionist if you will cross a picket line.

You were lucky that AA bought you and gave you a few more years of work and pay.

Latest posts