I.A.M VS I.B.T

I am pro company...most of you already know this by now and you know the union is being forced upon many of us non-represented folk. Many of us were perfectly happy being non-union. But the time has come for us to pull our heads out of the sand and take some charge of our future. We didn't want this but as I've stated before change must be embraced and you make the best of the situation.

Went to my first union meeting yesterday with a few co-workers and my first impressions were good. Sure there was the expected union rhetoric, but I gained a better understanding of the situation that we will be confronted with soon. The feeling I got was the union folks (IBT) want to ensure the success of the company and get a fair contract at the same time.

I appreciate the extra time the members took to make us feel welcomed. Never been in a union before, but I intend to be the best member I can be, and contribute to not only the success of the company but to the membership as well.

The company undoubtedly wants the IAM to succeed. It will be much easier and cheaper than having to come to terms with the IBT, but I truly believe if the IBT does prevail a fair contract will be negotiated. Look only as far as the res agent agreement and you'll see a willingness by the company to move forward. The company can't afford a major hiccup in the merger and if there will be any leverage for a fair contract it is now not 2009 when the current IAM contract expires. Some say even if the IBT forces and wins a vote the IAM contract will be the surviving contract. Don't bet on it. It will be up to the NMB to make that determination and so far they haven't been to impressed with the IAM. The best chance for a new and fair contract is with the IBT.

If your currently not represented, non-management employee of US West you need to find out if your job description falls under the IAM contract. You can find the contract on the IBT website http://www.teamsterslocal104.org/

If you need help, use the website to contact someone at the IBT to ask questions. They are very willing to help and not overbearing (these boards can give a distorted picture). It won't hurt to sign a IBT card and turn it in. Cards will be held until the NMB asks for them to determine a need for an election. The IBT needs 35% of the membership of the crafts covered by the contract. If an election is called by the NMB both Unions will have the opportunity to campaign for your vote. IBT is working very hard for you to get all of it's members a better contract. They are not laying down.

If you've had your head in the sand, take it out and at least start getting information so you can make an informed decision. Good luck to us all and the company. :D

EricLv2Fish WELL PUT :up:

Well I can thank many folks for pulling my head out. We still need to work together to make this merger work and if the IBT prevails I think many of the US East mechanics will be given added hope for a better future. Hope = better morale, better morale = better airline. This intangible benefit is perhaps being underestimated by the company. Besides the obvious benefits for the US West mechanics, think what an IBT victory would do for the average US East mechanic's morale.

recommended reading:
Scare tactics... When and where has his happened. You worried about your actives or furllowed members.. Cause the actives are signing cards I.E. showing interest. As far as the furllowed when its all said and done most wont be eligable to vote anyway.. The IAM allowed all Utiliy work to be outsorced other then base maintenance, so those votes are gone because they have no reasonable chance to return to work... There is none..

I do not think either union, or any union, can make things better at this point. The only way a mechanic's lot might be improved these days would require banding togather across the entire industry to effect change as a single group. The unions and the companies have kept mechanics isolated in small groups for good reason. Most of the problems are industry wide, not at any one carrier or union. This isolation has worked well for companies lately.

Beside all that, Parker led on that if the mech's gave up heavy maintenance ( and the associated jobs ) he could see tossing a few crumbs to the remaining folks. Something about there being only so much "pie" to split up......

Add to all of it, the realignment of the groups covered under the current IAM contract.........the IBT proposes to realign the contract, clean it up, sort it out, whatever you want to call it. But it will be a TRUE Mechanics contract. I'm sorry to say ( B) ) but stock clerks and utility groups are not mechanics and shouldn't be classified as such. I understand, from what I've been told, that the IAM contract is the only one left that has so many work groups under one single contract. Guess it was the numbers that the IAM was looking for but.......times change.

Ask the NMB, it is Mechanic and Related that is how it is certified, and they perform work all related to each other, that is why the NMB certified it the way it is.

All the work groups work in the same department and support it each other, that is why they are all grouped together.

Being on your own contract does not accomplish anything, on the other hand, there is strengh in numbers.

Ask the NMB, it is Mechanic and Related that is how it is certified, and they perform work all related to each other, that is why the NMB certified it the way it is.

All the work groups work in the same department and support it each other, that is why they are all grouped together.

Being on your own contract does not accomplish anything, on the other hand, there is strengh in numbers.
7 you are right there is strenth in numbers and your IAM has screwed so meny of your members that is why the cards are coming in and there is going to be a change of the gard for the better. Just look at the post that started this thread alot of hot air and BS just like everything that comes out of the IAM mouth.

Do you ware lead shoes to help keep you down.

7 you are right there is strenth in numbers and your IAM has screwed so meny of your members that is why the cards are coming in and there is going to be a change of the gard for the better. Just look at the post that started this thread alot of hot air and BS just like everything that comes out of the IAM mouth.

Do you ware lead shoes to help keep you down.
need a good spell check program??

The IAM back doors everyone wouldnt be suprised if 700uw is also known as rainbowman >>> :mf_boff: <<<IAM

Latest posts