IAM Fleet Service topic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right, and "The Guy with The Clipboard" doesn't count the bags, verifies the correct bins for loading, calculates the total weight, and enters those numbers into a computer? Not to mention, "The Guy with The Clipboard" is not required to know how to calculate Weight and Balance manually , if in the event the computers are down? Sure sounds like the part of the "duties" of a dispatcher to me!

By the way, what are you people hiding? I am mean seriously, I know that in my job, especially if I am calculating weight and balance or operating heavy equipment, that I would expect to be subject to random drug testing for the safety of myself, my co-workers, the flying public, and the substantial investment of aircraft and revenues associated with every flight. I really wonder why FSAs are so hostile to random drug tests given the safety-sensitive nature of our employment, and frankly, FSAs who are hiding their intoxication while working should not be working around the ramp.

So Ponders Jester.

No one is hiding anything . I just get tired of reading your opinions being shot down by FACTS but yet you still want to throw your venom back on your brothers and sisters for "hiding their intoxication"
It has NOTHING to do with that moron. if an employee is obviously intoxicated as you state they will be tested. the question on this board was Why was phx randomly drug testing when that is a violation of our contract but yet you just want to argue argue argue.. Let it go . Your wrong and thats that. PHX wants to continue playing America West Airlines fine . but don't cry favoritisim to the east which I am sure you will throw out next to the east . its just the east for the most part does a good job of keeping the company in check with our contract. something PHX doesn't do .

Reactions: 1 person
No one is hiding anything . I just get tired of reading your opinions being shot down by FACTS but yet you still want to throw your venom back on your brothers and sisters for "hiding their intoxication"
It has NOTHING to do with that moron. if an employee is obviously intoxicated as you state they will be tested. the question on this board was Why was phx randomly drug testing when that is a violation of our contract but yet you just want to argue argue argue.. Let it go . Your wrong and thats that. PHX wants to continue playing America West Airlines fine . but don't cry favoritisim to the east which I am sure you will throw out next to the east . its just the east for the most part does a good job of keeping the company in check with our contract. something PHX doesn't do .

"Methinks the lady doth protest too much." -- Shakespeare's Hamlet

Blown,

I'll take the "Pepsi Challenge" anytime -- got a cup? I have nothing to hide, unlike those who "protest too much". Furthermore, spare me your self-righteous indignation that I am unfairly impugning the reputation of fellow fleet service agents after seeing the morning collection of hung over employees after an all night drinking binge. There is a reason that after an accident on the ramp, the parties involved too often come back dirty.

I must admit to getting a chuckle when you state, "if an employee is obviously intoxicated as you state they will be tested," and back on Planet West, the reality is that other FSAs will cover for that employee, especially one that is well liked, because no one wants to be accused of being rat. If something does happen, then it is plausible deniability, "He seemed okay to me." I have heard this from other stations with agents repeating the same story. The Non-Team Leads (or if you prefer, the Non-"Guys with a Clip Boards") know they are not subject to being randomly drug tested, and they are not likely to be ratted-out, especially if the intoxicated employee hides it well. Random testing avoids the problem of peer pressure and provides the possibility of being tested.

Finally, I will stand-by my opinion that if one is conducting the "duties" of a dispatcher, regardless of job title, then those agents are subject to random drug testing. But fear not, the IAM will (pardon the pun) piss away the membership's money in an act of futility to defend the indefensible in an attempt to allow intoxicated FSAs to work without being subject to random drug testing. Also speaking of "crying", if an intoxicated FSA rolls an aircraft push tug over your leg, no one, especially me, wants to hear a single snivel from you about the "unfairness" of the situation.

So Requests Jester.

When I worked in a small station years ago, in a one yr period I went for random drug/alcohol test each month except for 2 months. Since I am not a drinker or drug user it was easy passing but still it was a pain to leave work get test done and return all while still on the clock. since I ve been in my larger station I havent had one yet...

Right, and "The Guy with The Clipboard" doesn't count the bags, verifies the correct bins for loading, calculates the total weight, and enters those numbers into a computer? Not to mention, "The Guy with The Clipboard" is not required to know how to calculate Weight and Balance manually , if in the event the computers are down? Sure sounds like the part of the "duties" of a dispatcher to me!

By the way, what are you people hiding? I am mean seriously, I know that in my job, especially if I am calculating weight and balance or operating heavy equipment, that I would expect to be subject to random drug testing for the safety of myself, my co-workers, the flying public, and the substantial investment of aircraft and revenues associated with every flight. I really wonder why FSAs are so hostile to random drug tests given the safety-sensitive nature of our employment, and frankly, FSAs who are hiding their intoxication while working should not be working around the ramp.

So Ponders Jester.

Jester,

"The guy with the clipboard" does not calculate total weight, the computer does.
"The guy with the clipboard" does not do manual W/B in the event the computers are down anymore, CLP does. But in your post you actually got that right, was that a mistake, if it was, it was a correct one.
The only way to get "Randomed" on the Fleet side is to be a GSC.

Reactions: 4 people
Jester,

"The guy with the clipboard" does not calculate total weight, the computer does.
"The guy with the clipboard" does not do manual W/B in the event the computers are down anymore, CLP does. But in your post you actually got that right, was that a mistake, if it was, it was a correct one.
The only way to get "Randomed" on the Fleet side is to be a GSC.

Yes. You are finally beginning to understand. FSA Lead Agents in smaller stations are often GSC qualified, and that puts them in the pool for random selection. Just prior to my departure from CLT as a shift manager in 2008, there was a big push to have all FSA leads GSC qualified. I am not sure if there was any meaningful follow through, but I know that in PIT, several FSA leads were qualified as GSC's, and they were in the random pool. There is more grey matter here to talk about than in the back seat of JFK's Dallas limo.

Finally, I will stand-by my opinion that if one is conducting the "duties" of a dispatcher, regardless of job title, then those agents are subject to random drug testing.

This is the crux of this argument. Jester, you are wrong here; the duties of a "dispatcher" are spelled out in the FARs, and it is a position that requires a license from the FAA. It is also where everyone else is wrong in that 'receipt and dispatch" of aircraft does NOT require a Dispatch license. These are two totally different things. One plans the flight, calculates fuel, evaluates weather, etc; the other physically prepares the flight for departure.

Also, many have said it's in the CBA that FSAs can't be tested. Someone tell me where.

It should be a CBA violation, swaps are done by classification and lead and regular agents are two separate classifications.

In your station, can a ramp agent work for a Lead on a swap? If so, are there any restrictions?

Rogue

As I understand the restrictions, so long as the ramp agent is lead qualified and current, then the swap is permitted. A lead can work a ramp agent position, as that does not require any additional qualifications.

So Believes Jester.

It should be a CBA violation, swaps are done by classification and lead and regular agents are two separate classifications.

Please stick with what you know, and that is not the Fleet Service Agreement. It is not, nor has it ever been, a violation of the FS CBA for an agent to swap to work for a lead or vice versa for that matter. The only thing that would prohibit that, is if said agent was on a level 3 for attendance or discipline, and that is the only reason it would get denied.
Don't let the facts get in your way.

Reactions: 1 person
Status
Not open for further replies.