IAM Fleet Service topic

Status
Not open for further replies.
niblet,
If a change in course is needed where do you suggest we begin? As Jester stated I am, in fact, new to the board and still in a learning curve so to speak.
ograc
You may be new to this forum, but you dont sound new to USAirways. You seem to have a keen sense of whats going on around the block. Change always starts at home. In your station. Getting people involved or at least keeping them informed. Go to Local meetings and see how they do business. I'm all for changing the District, again. I'm all for changing the International. I argue with the Local about the dues, but their hands are tied and the International won't give dispensation.

Stereotypes aside, the vast majority of the membership are workers. They know who the workers, and the players, are.

They don't want the aggravation of fighting the company so they leave it to others.

Who are, in many cases, players instead of workers.

Exactly, most are not true believers or Kool-Aid drinkers, but are either indifferent or uninvolved. My comments were clearly not directed at those but rather people who believe groupthink is an acceptable means to support the organization or someone who thinks that the IAM leadership plays racquetball with God.

So Confirms Jester.

You may be new to this forum, but you dont sound new to USAirways. You seem to have a keen sense of whats going on around the block. Change always starts at home. In your station. Getting people involved or at least keeping them informed. Go to Local meetings and see how they do business. I'm all for changing the District, again. I'm all for changing the International. I argue with the Local about the dues, but their hands are tied and the International won't give dispensation.
niblet,
You're intuition is sharp and accurate. I've been with Us airways over thirty years. The vast majority of those years actively involved. In the past 9 years I have missed our Regularly Scheduled Monthly Local Meeting 3 times. All excused absences. I strongly agree keeping your station informed and hopefully involved is paramount to solidarity with the membership. In the larger stations this is especially true but more of a challenge. Let me check with our LL President, but there is a way to get dispensation for those earning less than $12.00 per hour. It's in the wording of your LL by laws. We were able to get it done.

So, I finally went out and bought a roll of toilet paper and was ready to throw out my Messenger paper, being it wasn't needed any more when I read an article about upcoming elections. Guess what...everyone who is in office today from Delaney down to all AGC's can't run in the new election!!!!!!it states that all candidates must be "free from any delinquencies of any nature". Now, thats a pretty big word and I'm just a ramprat..make that ex ramprat, so I looked it up in the dictionary. DELINQUENCIES..failure or neglect of duty or obligation...Everyone in office just watched and did nothing while over 200 people were thrown out into the street against what the contract said...now that I would call a DELINQUENCY!!!!!

Its not the constitution, its the people in positions of power at the international and the district.. I know first hand.

^Yes^

I argue with the Local about the dues, but their hands are tied and the International won't give dispensation.

See below...

niblet,
Let me check with our LL President, but there is a way to get dispensation for those earning less than $12.00 per hour. It's in the wording of your LL by laws. We were able to get it done.

We were able to do this when I was on the e-board of my local (DL143). And ya know what? If the Int'l balks, hold their feet to the fire, and make a GLR come out and explain *in person* why they feel it's a bad idea. My guess is they'll say nevermind, and okay it. And if they don't, do it anyway, even if it means passing around the proverbial coffee can to make up the difference. Things like that are what solidarity is all about; not some glossy flyer from Placid Harbor.

In this context, "yes so."

I was the LL1852 S.T. for several years and I was granted dispensation for those agents making less than 12.00 an hour. It was granted no problem. A few years later with Stan Brown (Grand lodge auditor) helping me we got L.L. dispensation for all the members. It can be done. Now L.L. 368 said the Grand Lodge denies all attempts for it. I feel the Grand Lodge should give all the airline locals dispensation since their dues structure is out of date and does not represent the membership fairly. Almost like some of our tax codes. The airline locals have tried at the Grandlodge convention.

I was the LL1852 S.T. for several years and I was granted dispensation for those agents making less than 12.00 an hour. It was granted no problem. A few years later with Stan Brown (Grand lodge auditor) helping me we got L.L. dispensation for all the members. It can be done. Now L.L. 368 said the Grand Lodge denies all attempts for it. I feel the Grand Lodge should give all the airline locals dispensation since their dues structure is out of date and does not represent the membership fairly. Almost like some of our tax codes. The airline locals have tried at the Grandlodge convention.

niblet,
My local was able to accomplish LL dispensation to it's members earning less than $12.00 per hour with a proposed by law change. This by law change was approved by the International. Dispensation granted effective 2012. I'll research further with the President if needed.
ograc

niblet,
My local was able to accomplish LL dispensation to it's members earning less than $12.00 per hour with a proposed by law change. This by law change was approved by the International. Dispensation granted effective 2012. I'll research further with the President if needed.
ograc
I dont think we have any 12.00 or less. I was looking for the whole local to get it. Based on the dues being 3 times the average hourly wage. I know mechanics who pay the same in dues and thats less than 2 hours wage. I believe there are better ways to figure the dues structure.

Exactly, most are not true believers or Kool-Aid drinkers, but are either indifferent or uninvolved. My comments were clearly not directed at those but rather people who believe groupthink is an acceptable means to support the organization or someone who thinks that the IAM leadership plays racquetball with God.

So Confirms Jester.
MY MAN, you got a way with words.

So, I finally went out and bought a roll of toilet paper and was ready to throw out my Messenger paper, being it wasn't needed any more when I read an article about upcoming elections. Guess what...everyone who is in office today from Delaney down to all AGC's can't run in the new election!!!!!!it states that all candidates must be "free from any delinquencies of any nature". Now, thats a pretty big word and I'm just a ramprat..make that ex ramprat, so I looked it up in the dictionary. DELINQUENCIES..failure or neglect of duty or obligation...Everyone in office just watched and did nothing while over 200 people were thrown out into the street against what the contract said...now that I would call a DELINQUENCY!!!!!
Always hated that word, ramprat. I was never no f##ken ramprat!

I was always partial to "Bags Masher" myself, but here are the REAL "ramp rats"....

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/law/july-dec99/bust_8-25a.html

So Remembers Jester.
I was talking to someone I respect but they were nervous about the Occupy 141 platform regarding the posting of proposals and that it may piss off the company. First off, it's none of any airline's business how we communicate with our own members. Second off, posting proposals is considered normal and customary, just not with Delaney.

The APFA flight attendant union post proposals often, and the TWU has posted proposals at AMR. Boatloads of unions post proposals. Click this link here for the latest proposal from AMR company to the union. The problem with our district is that there is alot of ignorance and the members have been beaten down so much that they immediately ask, "Will this piss off the company?". Or, it's cousin, "Will the company approve it?".

The reason why Delaney doesn't disclose the actual proposals is so he can flip like pancakes and move the membership wherever he wants based on emotion.

Consider United Airlines. Over the last 3 years, Delaney has said talks are progressing and moving forward and he uses general terms, much like he does with US AIRWAYS negotiations, when he says things like "This week we talked about Overtime". Essentially, not saying anything and disrespecting the intelligence of our members. Now, since elections are here, he flipped like a pancake and finally admitted that over the last 3 years of failed talks that United is still proposing the shutdown of 200 stations and only offering up about a .50 cent pay raise [2.5%] as it makes billions. I informed the members along the way that Delaney was a fraud and that it wasn't even remotely true that he was going to get them a leading industry contract and $35,000 retro checks by losing leverage. At any rate, things are a real mess in this district but hopefully we can win the PCE election where we have better than equal chances.

regards,

Status
Not open for further replies.