IAM- Scabs? Supports scabbing?

I seem to recall that we had ramp agents who were qualified to ride the brakes on a taxi/tow, but they could not taxi an aircraft under its own power.

They could use pilots to taxi, however, and be completely legal. Don't know if there's a type qualification requirement for that or not.

Former ModerAAtor said:
I seem to recall that we had ramp agents who were qualified to ride the brakes on a taxi/tow, but they could not taxi an aircraft under its own power.

They could use pilots to taxi, however, and be completely legal. Don't know if there's a type qualification requirement for that or not.
[post="290028"][/post]​

Yea, you're right about the taxi under own power issue. I don't see how they would allow this.

In TUL a mechanic has to take engine run/taxi test airport runway/taxi test and then must have check ride with Tech crew Chief before being signed off as qualified.

Hopeful said:
Yea, you're right about the taxi under own power issue. I don't see how they would allow this.
[post="290029"][/post]​

I don't, either.

We have lots of ESE's (and CSA's) that already push, tow & ride brakes, but this is a whole different animal. I may be wrong, but I *highly* doubt we'll ever see IAM members moving a plane under it's own power; I know I don't want anything to do with it, anyway....

Mark Inman said:
The loyalties of the IAM and Twu has always been suspect . Now we don’t have to wonder about the IAM. They are pro company. People like Jim Sweeney wonder why people are leaving unions and the AFL-CIO like rats from a sinking ship. The TWU in the past year collected enough card to call for a vote at 4 nonunion shops and could not get enough people to vote for them to certify there so called union as the groups bargaining reps. I just want the Northwest mechanics to know the so called leader of these company unions may be to stupid to support your efforts but most of the workers in the TWU and IAM understand and are hear to support you any way we can. We understand we are next if NORTHWEST is successful.
[post="290023"][/post]​

Please! After calling the rest of the IAM "knuckle-draggers" and essentially telling them to go pound sand, did AMFA leadership honestly believe they could count on their support. If so, they're more delusional than I thought.

proAMFA said:
At least the mechanics have the balls to stand up for themselves
[post="290052"][/post]​

Had AMFA accepted NW's offer, then half of those who walked today would have jobs.

Instead, zero have jobs.

Half of something is better than zero of everything.

proAMFA said:
At least the mechanics have the balls to stand up for themselves
[post="290052"][/post]​

Are you implying that no other group on the property has stood up for themsleves? There's, what, 7 unions here? So far the only union at NW that's given any ground is ALPA.

Back to the original post; Can anyone please share what all is required (training, qualification from the FAA, etc.) for someone to taxi an aircraft under it's own power?

Kev3188 said:
Are you implying that no other group on the property has stood up for themsleves? There's, what, 7 unions here? So far the only union at NW that's given any ground is ALPA.
Back to the original post; Can anyone please share what all is required (training, qualification from the FAA, etc.) for someone to taxi an aircraft under it's own power?
[post="290083"][/post]​

One thing you can count on is that once the company is done with AMFA they will go after the IAM, and the IAM will give in. They will say to their members "Look at what happened to the mechanics".

If anything the company will end up increasing their demands on the IAM citing the costs associated with busting AMFA.

Its remarkable the differences we see between what happened in England, where real unions are still a force, and what's happening here. In England they shut down the airport to prevent a company from laying off hundreds of workers, in America the IAM brags about how they are doing struck work from another union.

Bob Owens said:
One thing you can count on is that once the company is done with AMFA they will go after the IAM, and the IAM will give in. They will say to their members "Look at what happened to the mechanics".

I have no doubt that NW will be as relentless as ever in coming after the IAM.

If anything the company will end up increasing their demands on the IAM citing the costs associated with busting AMFA.

Its remarkable the differences we see between what happened in England, where real unions are still a force, and what's happening here. In England they shut down the airport to prevent a company from laying off hundreds of workers, in America the IAM brags about how they are doing struck work from another union.

We should all be so lucky to have union strength like in Europe!
[post="290097"][/post]​

Bob Owens said:

[post="290097"][/post]​
Bob it sickening beyond description to wittness how these Unions have become nothing more than servants to their master's.

local 12 proud said:
Bob it sickening beyond description to wittness how these Unions have become nothing more than servants to their master's.
[post="290120"][/post]​
Are they servants to their masters or is it because theres just bad blood between the two unions?

tug_slug said:
Are they servants to their masters or is it because theres just bad blood between the two unions?
[post="290125"][/post]​
Tug my post was meant to imply "most" all unions, although I must confess im starting to think the IAM/TWU are one and the same who will shaft its membership in order to preserve dues flow and maitain a cozy relationship between the sheets with there bed partners. At least the TWU has stated they will refuse to work struck NWA work, only time will tell with that one!

Bad blood between AMFA and IAM means nothing to these companies except that they can divide the ranks if we let them. Just like the UPS pilots said we firmly stand behind any union in our industry who is on strike. They did not say we stand behind the unions we like who are on strike. Who do you think the officers of the IAM are working for now? I would say ether the company or them selves. When NWA comes after the ground workers who do you think is going to stand with you and what do you think is going to happen when no one does. Maybe the SCABS will :down: You guys need to read the writing on the wall. NWA is going to have mechanics, Flight Attendance and pilots one way or another The Question is just how many and how much they will make but the ground workers at United and American Airlines have been screwed by TWU and IAM over and over in the past couple years. Who is going to stand with you the IAM officers? They are the company. How many times do they have to prove it to you.

Latest posts