IBT organizing Drive

redeye thanks for the link it says the new union would just enforce our existing contract so why risk decertification to keep our same contract that does not make any sense to me and that is why i am suspious of anyones motives who is willing to risk our jobs on that because if we keep the same contract it must be for ther personal gain what do you think

you have nothing to worry about

calm down, calm down

If you read the representation section you saw where if you have a union on the property
and another seeks to represent you, the seeking union needs 50%+1 cards signed to have
an election.

Here is where thinking is involved.

If more than 50%+1 angry workers signed cards, no worrys of decertification.

That is only my opinion and you should think for yourself.

and if 50% + 1 DON'T sign cards , you can wave your union and job security goodbye ... how many of you have been working for us airways for more than 20 years ? You want to risk no union protection with parker who seems to show in almost every act that he doesn't respect long term employees ??

I'm sorry , can someone refesh me what was the TOTAL percentage of ramp workers out of the 7,770 that we have who voted for the TA ? Was it more than 50% + 1 or less ?????

and if 50% + 1 DON'T sign cards , you can wave your union and job security goodbye ... how many of you have been working for us airways for more than 20 years ? You want to risk no union protection with parker who seems to show in almost every act that he doesn't respect long term employees ??

I'm sorry , can someone refesh me what was the TOTAL percentage of ramp workers out of the 7,770 that we have who voted for the TA ? Was it more than 50% + 1 or less ?????

Freedom, freedom, freedom,

you are not following.

If 50%=1 cards are not signed by the union seeking to represent you

NO ELECTION

EVERYTHING STAYS AS IS

freedom i was told it was 2500 no 1000 yes so that would be less than half so i am very afraid of losing the union i reallf think now tim is just trying to get a union job with the teamsters i was also ytold he tried to sell our names to them i think his wife supports his family so he would be willing to risk gettig decertified for a 100000 dollar job i support my family like a man is supposed to do and i cant risk it to keep the same contract something just doesnt make sense

freedom i was told it was 2500 no 1000 yes so that would be less than half so i am very afraid of losing the union i reallf think now tim is just trying to get a union job with the teamsters i was also ytold he tried to sell our names to them i think his wife supports his family so he would be willing to risk gettig decertified for a 100000 dollar job i support my family like a man is supposed to do and i cant risk it to keep the same contract something just doesnt make sense

Here is where you become legitimate...
Where did you get your figures and where do we go to check them?

Freedom, freedom, freedom,

you are not following.

If 50%=1 cards are not signed by the union seeking to represent you

NO ELECTION

EVERYTHING STAYS AS IS
redeye thats not what the link you gave me says if we have an election and we dont get 50% we lose union represetation so if we keep the same contract why take the risk? maybe 700 knows the rules

redeye thats not what the link you gave me says if we have an election and we dont get 50% we lose union represetation so if we keep the same contract why take the risk? maybe 700 knows the rules

Try this link
http://www.nmb.gov/documents/nmbrules1099.html#1203

I know i know, its alot of reading
ok, here it is....

§ 1206.2 Percentage of valid authorizations required to determine existence of a representation dispute.

(a) Where the employees involved in a representation dispute are represented by an individual or labor organization, either local or national in scope and are covered by a valid existing contract between such representative and the carrier a showing of proved authorizations (checked and verified as to date, signature, and employment status) from at least a majority of the craft or class must be made before the National Mediation Board will authorize an election or otherwise determine the representation desires of the employees under the provisions of section 2, Ninth, of the Railway Labor Act.

ok 1776 this is fact not opinion

yes i got what you were trying to say redeye , but my statement still stands , sure OK you get 50%+1 to sign off on the cards the first time , but do you end up getting it again ? What if the margins are so slim that if 100 people don't vote , then it game over ...

Besides that's not my main point , if as i've read on one of these organizing drive threads we didn't have 50% +1 for the TA vote , there is no WAY we should even bother with brining in another union . That would be nothing less than a complete waste of our precious time .... Do any of you honestly think the IAM big wigs that you so hate are shaking in their boots if we cut ties and leave ? They make 100,000 a year right ? What do you think is more freighting to them a block of voters who would have voted against them taking themselves OUT of the election , OR a HUGE voting block that's going to come out AGAINST them next election time ????

Another problem that I see is this , If we didn’t even have a 50% turn out for the TA then what are we doing to increase union involvement ? Have we been asleep at the helm ? We MUST reenergize the work force and bring more people into the fold .

redeye i was told that by the union guys at work i was here when we lost the union before and we just barely got them in last time i think it is a real chance we will lose representation and for the same contract i dont understand that i could see taking a chance if we could get another contract but the link you gave says we cannot so why would we risk it only someone with a motive for personal gain would it benfit

redeye i was told that by the union guys at work i was here when we lost the union before and we just barely got them in last time i think it is a real chance we will lose representation and for the same contract i dont understand that i could see taking a chance if we could get another contract but the link you gave says we cannot so why would we risk it only someone with a motive for personal gain would it benfit

I worked for Piedmont airlines at the time. I was there.
I also believe we need effective union representation
I signed IBT cards, Steelworker cards, and IAM cards.
The membership voted and here we are.

I am only trying to help you seek information that you are asking for.
I try not to answer hypothetical's.

Red eye , if we didn't get 50% + 1 for the TA , why are we wasting our time trying to bring in another union ?To do so would be a hard bitter fight , it would divide us and worst of all waste time .

We are weak right now , our first order of business should be to INCREASE union participation , that is an absolute MUST . Sure, organizing this drive might bring interest from some of the disenfranchised group , but overall I tend to think they will become fed up and disillusioned with the entire concept of unions .

Look I posted another thread on the IAM local elections here in PHX , I don’t know much about the IAM , but is it possible that the different lodges nation wide vote around the same time ? If we make a concerted effort to vote in our people at lodge after lodger we will exponentially increase our political leverage within the IAM

We have rattled our sabers , the brass KNOWS we’re fed up , but I say it is now time to take it one step FURTHER and begin showing our might with our voting cards . If you truly don’t believe in the IAM leadership then it is time to REPLACE THEM .

So here are options for you ,

1. You can waste precious time trying to bring in a union that you’ll most likely never get enough support to bring in

OR

2. You can begin to stack the IAM house with our own people .

Red eye , if we didn't get 50% + 1 for the TA , why are we wasting our time trying to bring in another union ?To do so would be a hard bitter fight , it would divide us and worst of all waste time .

We are weak right now , our first order of business should be to INCREASE union participation , that is an absolute MUST . Sure, organizing this drive might bring interest from some of the disenfranchised group , but overall I tend to think they will become fed up and disillusioned with the entire concept of unions .

Look I posted another thread on the IAM local elections here in PHX , I don’t know much about the IAM , but is it possible that the different lodges nation wide vote around the same time ? If we make a concerted effort to vote in our people at lodge after lodger we will exponentially increase our political leverage within the IAM

We have rattled our sabers , the brass KNOWS we’re fed up , but I say it is now time to take it one step FURTHER and begin showing our might with our voting cards . If you truly don’t believe in the IAM leadership then it is time to REPLACE THEM .

So here are options for you ,

1. You can waste precious time trying to bring in a union that you’ll most likely never get enough support to bring in

OR

2. You can begin to stack the IAM house with our own people .

Freedom,

I AM NOT ON THE IBT COMMITTEE

I attend union meetings
I am a shop steward
I encourage everyone at my station to be involved but,
I AM NOT A CHEERLEADER
I think and vote for myself and seek to educate my fellow workers in what is the truth.

If you want information I will certainly try to lead you to the answers

i did not mean to suggest that you were on the IBT committee , please don't take it that way , what i wrote above while addressed to you ,was more or less for a wider audience .

As a union member i would like to thank you for being involved in what affects the membership . Could you answer my question on when the IAM has general elections ? that's something i'd really like to know .

Also for all of you out there who have been bashing tim nelson . Like i've said time and time again , the man is useful so don't be so quick to bring him down , you must simply remember that when dealing with him you don't let his ambition out weight his use .

Point in case , remember when we were talking about the TA , he brought up MANY points that had been glossed over by the IAM leadership , in fact i'd say he went above and beyond to help provide a balanced position on the issue . (i'm still a yes voter and still wished it had passed because i would have gotten a nice 50% raise )

i did not mean to suggest that you were on the IBT committee , please don't take it that way , what i wrote above while addressed to you ,was more or less for a wider audience .

As a union member i would like to thank you for being involved in what affects the membership . Could you answer my question on when the IAM has general elections ? that's something i'd really like to know .
Also for all of you out there who have been bashing tim nelson . Like i've said time and time again , the man is useful so don't be so quick to bring him down , you must simply remember that when dealing with him you don't let his ambition out weight his use .

Point in case , remember when we were talking about the TA , he brought up MANY points that had been glossed over by the IAM leadership , in fact i'd say he went above and beyond to help provide a balanced position on the issue . (i'm still a yes voter and still wished it had passed because i would have gotten a nice 50% raise )

freedom,

I do not know for a fact when the elections are. I will check the constitution and the 141 bylaws.
Off the top of my head, I think I remember it to be around April of next year.

Latest posts