Inflight Promotions OUT OF CONTROL

They are to be handed out during the beverage service according to the company mail. So, not really related to people being lazy.

WARNING:

Some of you will be very Angry at what I'm about to say so proceed at your own risk!

The non stop pimping from the F/A's has got to be reduced as it is gettig out of hand.

The folks at the Sandcastle are very spreadsheet oriented. For better or worse that's the way they work.

When these promotions started on board you can bet your tattered copy of People Magazine that someone from the Sandcastle was doing observation rides and went back and told the folks there about all of the idle time the F/A's spent during the flight.

So to those who:

Fill out your bid sheet
Read People, US, steamy romance novels
Do Crosswords, Suduko puzzles
Knit (Yes I saw an F/A knitting)

You have only yourselves to blame for making your co-workers and customers in flight experience worse than it needed to be. Because if you think like ANY businessperson, if your people have time for the above I'll give them more to do since I don't pay for filling out puzzles and that is also why many of your legitimate concerns fall on deaf ears.

The THOUSANDS of hard working F/A's and their loyal customers suffer IMO because of the extremely lazy few and that just flat sucks period!
OK, so after I do all of my required service, what are we supposed to do. Their is going to be down time. We have to sit somewhere. Any suggestions? Piney, I enjoy and respect most of your comments, but this one is funny. The F/A's only sit after all of their work is done. And even after that, one of the F/A's comes through he cabin every 20 minutes (on longer haul flights) to pick up trash( I mean cups,cans, and US magazines here) and check on paxs comfort and to be visible.

LSG wanted to have US sell blankets, pillows, etc. when we first started BOB.

The benefit to the FAs?

Prize Vacations!
Prize vacations...only vacation I want is a vacaction day...last thing I want to do is get on an A/C on time off...to get anywhere ya have to put on your flippin monkey suit...I love the idea of selling blankets...put a company logo LLBean old navy etc have them foot the cost we pocket the cash...again create a f/a sales team...test it in some markets...but make it a paid bid positon where you take a seat not a jumpseat...this way f/a's that want to sell stuff can do it and have some sales training so they sell products in a way not to pis@ off pax and oher crew members for that matter I have only heard about2% of f/a's pull off the BOA promo other's make me cringe...at least follow a script not this made up crap...guess this comes from past broadcasting days...some peolpe have no bussiness on the PA....eeeek....

I know that! But what i tried to do and perhaps failed is give some insight into how management at many large companies think.

And with all due respect you're describing the RIGHT way for a F/A to do his/her job which is clearly the way you do yours. I know it's hard to believe but some don't share your work ethic and commitment to doing things right and we all know the cliche that one bad apple spoils the whole barrel.

I wasn't trying to rag on the 98% who do the job right but rather the 2 percent who should have left years ago. That's the problem with ANY large workgroup, union or otherwise, it's the 2% that are screwups that the public remembers. I fly a ton and the flights I remember are usually the ones that had a problem of some sort. It's human nature

Bob,
as allways you bring up a good point...very true I allways thought the same when I see 50 ground crews in a break room sleepin watchin TV when they could be pickin up trash on the ramp...every work group has to have a break but I see how the company would feel that way...but as a guy that travels as much as you don't you want quite down time on the plane or some un trained F/A wanna bee sales person crammin promos in your face...it can be done in taste but not all are cut out to sell anything...

WARNING:

Some of you will be very Angry at what I'm about to say so proceed at your own risk!

Hey Bob, the time & motion bureaucrats from Tempe should monitor how many of these coupons are collected OFF THE FLOOR OF THE PLANE at the end of a flight.

Aren't we adding to the cleaning costs here?

$1.00 off this product is silly (two cones there cost about $10) besides nobody from Arizona has the genetics to manufacture good ice cream.

The f/a employees are very similar to firefighters. Sure they have some down time whilst on the clock.

But you damn sure want them available to respond in those few critical moments.....

WARNING:

The non stop pimping from the F/A's has got to be reduced as it is gettig out of hand.

The folks at the Sandcastle are very spreadsheet oriented. For better or worse that's the way they work.

When these promotions started on board you can bet your tattered copy of People Magazine that someone from the Sandcastle was doing observation rides and went back and told the folks there about all of the idle time the F/A's spent during the flight.

So to those who:

Fill out your bid sheet

You have only yourselves to blame for making your co-workers and customers in flight experience worse than it needed to be. Because if you think like ANY businessperson, if your people have time for the above I'll give them more to do since I don't pay for filling out puzzles and that is also why many of your legitimate concerns fall on deaf ears.

The THOUSANDS of hard working F/A's and their loyal customers suffer IMO because of the extremely lazy few and that just flat sucks period!

Aren't you one of the very same people that bitched and moaned about the flight attendants pimping the BOA card?
That takes up time!
Wait until we have to bother you every 15-20 minutes pimping something at you and you will eat your words.
Mind your own business.
What we do with our down time is of no concern to you. As long as we get you your friggin snack basket and 10th drink ..let us be. And God forbid something happens we will surely put down our People to get your A$$ off the plane.

Your post is Exhibit "A" as to why the Flight Attendants as a group have trouble earning the respect I feel they deserve.

No, it's called..."stop getting into other's business". I think you should become an employee of the airline....fly around and monitor what the flight attendants are doing...and only then would you have a say as to how we spend our time.
As another poster asked..What is it you expect us to do? Sit in our jump seat and stare straight ahead in the dark?

Give me a break Piney.

Sorry, but the years have only proven that I will never agree with your views on the flight attendant group.

You say you respect the flight attendants, but I really don't think you do.

sDid we forget to take our Prozac Today? Or was it Midol?

Your post is Exhibit "A" as to why the Flight Attendants as a group have trouble earning the respect I feel they deserve.

PB, I guess I have trouble reading between the lines with you..on one hand you do defend the F/A group and on the other hand you're ready to call the F/A group lazy. All F/A's do their required duties while onboard the A/C.....some to more extent than others but you have that in any job or profession. F/A's do have a lot of down time while onboard the A/C....especially on the longer flights where US has taken away all the service that used to provided. What should they be doing during those breaks in their service to earn your respect? Cleaning the lavatories, vaccuming the carpet like hotel maids, scrubbing the galley floor, assisting the flight deck, or picking up the ground in cheerios and shredded USAirways magazines from the row with the disrespectful parents and toddlers from hell. Simply put the F/A has down time onboard the A/C there's nothing we can do about that, it's the same ALL over the industry! I for one think the last thing a passenger wants is to be bombarded with more announcements, sales tactics, and longer level off videos...they are annoying! :down:

i for one will not be giving out these coupons!!! and i'm totally sick of the boa credit card thing...its gotten out of hand. would'nd be so bad if people stuck to the annoucment!! but its out of hand. i say no more of these promotions until we recieve a fair contract for all...then maaybe we can revisit the whole marketing issue. and how bout the level off video!!!! geez can it get anymore annoying!!!!! how about some video marketing without sound? the customers are getting sick of it!!!! :angry:

i for one will not be giving out these coupons!!! and i'm totally sick of the boa credit card thing...its gotten out of hand. would'nd be so bad if people stuck to the annoucment!! but its out of hand. i say no more of these promotions until we recieve a fair contract for all...then maaybe we can revisit the whole marketing issue. and how bout the level off video!!!! geez can it get anymore annoying!!!!! how about some video marketing without sound? the customers are getting sick of it!!!! :angry:
DITTO! :up: :up: :up:

No, it's called..."stop getting into other's business". I think you should become an employee of the airline....fly around and monitor what the flight attendants are doing...and only then would you have a say as to how we spend our time.
As another poster asked..What is it you expect us to do? Sit in our jump seat and stare straight ahead in the dark?

Give me a break Piney.

Sorry, but the years have only proven that I will never agree with your views on the flight attendant group.

You say you respect the flight attendants, but I really don't think you do.
give PB a break...he sees a lot the guy is on our airline all the time...he is a good customer...think he hit a nerve twice...what's wrong did you forget to take your skdoo or people from your jumseat on your last trip...I hope to meet P Bob one day it's customers like bob that pay...hey Bob if I ever meet ya I will make damm sure you catch a good buzz and all the snaks you want...thanks for the biz...

So to those who:

Fill out your bid sheet

You have only yourselves to blame for making your co-workers and customers in flight experience worse than it needed to be. Because if you think like ANY businessperson, if your people have time for the above I'll give them more to do since I don't pay for filling out puzzles

sky high states: Bob, You're talking to a group that has been around for many years. The East side is senior. 20 years being "average" seniority. Whatever was thrown at this group, they did, and did it well. PHL to PIT, hot breakfast(TRAY)on a 45 minute flight---DONE WITH PRECISION. Predeparture drinks IN COACH, (sunshine service) to florida. Done, while people were boarding. Three entrees to the West coast, Ice creams, three beverage services, mints in coach--done well, and still had plenty of downtime.
What's it take to do a buy on board and beverage service to the west coast now? Maybe an hour. Most do water and coffee after....then comes that LONG DOWN TIME. There's NO SERVICE done for a LONG TIME because it's PROCEDURE. And the company wants a consistent product. Most of us are strangers to one another. We read, chat some, but WE ARENT THE ONES who took away our service.
As much as you fly, I HOPE you see how many of us are embarrassed by either what is served or lack of.
It's been an interesting time getting used to doing so little service now, hearing the complaints, but I do remind passengers that, we are now a LOW COST CARRIER.

I'm hearing that the WEST does NOT allow their F/A's to read on the jumpseat or sit in passenger seats....Hmmmm.
True,anyone?

only stating opinions.

C'mon guys and gals, are you saying that those kind of employees are not flying around in our airplanes? I fly with flight attendants that are so lazy I am actually embarrased FOR them. The b/h's that fly "A" because they NEED the money and do an incredibly HORRIBLE job of doing the service or tending to the customer AS YOU ARE REQUIRED TO DO. I always make comments without being very direct that though we are SAFETY PROFESSIONALS the company that hired you also requires you to GET the pillow, blanket, drink refill, call bell etc. It is your JOB. It comes with the job. Uggggggg. :rolleyes:

"However, we have already committed to the holiday promotion in partnership with Cold Stone Creamery, which will launch on November 13th and continue through November 21st.

Your dedication and professionalism are essential to the success of US Airways.
Sincerely,
Sheri Shamblin" (Emphassis Added)

Just who is this "we", chica Sherri? Maybe the "we" need to get out to the planes and hand out the coupons as passenegrs board so that those who make up the "we" see first hand how much the passengers enjoy paying for transportation and having "value added" opportunities hawked upon them.

Also, who is it that is making money from Cold Stone Creamery? Oh, that's right, the "we" folks that get management bonuses, not the folks who are cost neutral (but task added).

I'm hearing that the WEST does NOT allow their F/A's to read on the jumpseat or sit in passenger seats....Hmmmm.
True,anyone?
only stating opinions.

True, with the clarification that you can't read non-company material. So, you could read your manual or even the entertaining inflight mag, since it is a company publication.

Back