Letter to wroble

nobody blocked anything. many filled openings at dwh, and other stations around the system. the rest bumped the system, if they chose to.

Reactions: 3 people
99Roadstar said:
nobody blocked anything. many filled openings at dwh, and other stations around the system. the rest bumped the system, if they chose to.
Peterson did an end around with his membership that did stop at least 50 AFW mechanics from going to DWH. The AFW mechanics all ended up in places like Miami. Funny thing is that the DFW mechanics never showed up at DWH. We are still waiting foe them.

I posted this question on another thread, sorry for the duplication, I'm just trying to understand the issue.

Is there a "readers digest" explanation on why some Mechanics weren't allowed to bid DFW as others were?

Here at UAL, bumping is strictly a seniority issue, and I assumed the process at AA would be similar. 

AFW did not have a One Station Agreement with DFW. DWH had openings prior to the RIF which were filled off of the transfer list. DFW had very few junior people in the RIF. I believe only 3 mechs were on the list.

At american layoffs are done by juniority. If a 100 people get laid off in a station they fill openings in the system and the junior spots in the system. If there are 10 openings the bottom 90 on the system wide seniority list get bumped. Its always been done like that.

dfw gen said:
At american layoffs are done by juniority. If a 100 people get laid off in a station they fill openings in the system and the junior spots in the system. If there are 10 openings the bottom 90 on the system wide seniority list get bumped. Its always been done like that.
Doesn't this ensure the 90 lowest people on the seniority list would go to the street?

I Personally I hope we can get rid of this stupid juniority system with the JCBA.

dfw gen said:

Thanks for the info

700UW said:
It's also not fair to force a senior person to take a junior position.

It's also not fair to bump someone in a station not affected by the furlough, which causes a ripple affect in the system.

The new CBA provides for a virtual RIF process where bumping is done in the background. Members then don't bump in successive waves just once physically. The last RIF I was involved in they laid off 400 in TUL. The union identified the bottom 400 in the system and those were the choices the TUL got to choose from. In those days base AMTs could bump without taking a test if it was BC station. I think now you have to be qualified before bumping.